Money Moral Dilemma: Should we stop splitting the bill?

Options

Comments

• PRINCESSKERRY
    Options
    I agree with all the above comments, I am teetotal and one of my pet hates is people assuming if you go out as a group then I am going to sub other peoples drinks.Thankfully I have always spoke up since one particularly embarassing time, it was several days before pay day and we had hardly any money but work had planned a work night out for a long time so I still went taking £10.
    I ordered a main and we had jugs of water on the table and my £10 more then covered what I ordered with a 10% tip, but others on the table ordered bottles of wine aplenty a red and white each time until there were quite a few empty bottles on the table.
    When it came to the bill everyone chirped up we will split it, my share would have come to about £25.
    I feel it's very insensitive to expect people to split without consulting them all anyway and even more so if you have all had starters, desert and wine etc and others have only had a main.
    Competition wins - 09/03 - £500 ELC Vouchers 11/04 - Lush Goodies 21/04 - Gillette Fusion Gift Pack 22/05 - Mirrors DVD 29/05 - Return Flights to London & £500 29/05 - £50 Homebase Gift Vouchers 20/09 - Remote Control Helicopter 28/09 - £225 Bingo Win 05/10 £25 Photobox Vouchers 16/09 £90 Cash 30/11 £29 Cash 03/01 £20 03/04 Fifa Football :T
  • Littlemissteapot
    Options
    I mostly agree with those who have posted so far.
    Your friends do not know that splitting the bill equally has this affect on you. So, you need tell them before everyone orders that you and your wife will pay only for what you've ordered. You can ask the waiter/ess before everyone orders to make separate tabs for each couple which deals with any issues that generally occur when its time to pay the bill.
    I must admit to be curious whether they would change their ordering habits in the future?
  • yorkshirepud_2
    yorkshirepud_2 Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    Options
    I will pay for what i have had and up to a couple of quid more.

If a friend is skint i have no prob offering to get dinner as i know they will do the same for me.

I do not however put up with people taking the Mick.

You should not have to feel awkward about discussing financial matters with friends, although i know we do.
  • julie777
    julie777 Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :mad: This would make me really MAD. With "friends" like this, who needs enemies? They are self-centred and mean and don't deserve you!
  • rosgrech
    rosgrech Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Well, they can't be very good friends if they don't realise themselves what is happening across the table while they feed their faces.

Pay only for what you order - give whatever excuse you feel comfortable with if you are having difficulty but stick to your guns.

They are being very insensitive. Choose your friends more carefully!

• JFD10
    JFD10 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    A similar thing actually happened to me before. A friend and I ordered a takeaway and he decided to order a large bottle of coke, a more expensive and an extra side-dish all for himself!

As he collected it, he paid the total and, after showing me the receipt, requested half of the money. I'm not a shy person and I don't like people taking advantage of me so I spoke up, pointing out that my total only came to £7. He then argued with me for about 20minutes (for the sake of £5!) that he had gone to collect it in his car (even though the place is only about 10minutes walk away and I had even offered to walk with him to collect it) and used his petrol.

In the end, I relented and 'compromised' by giving him £10. However, next time he wanted to get a takeaway, I said that I wasn't going to have anything as I'd already eaten. Needless to say, when he picked it up, there wasn't a drink and he'd chosen much cheaper food. I've always politely refused to go out for a meal or order a takeaway with him ever since.
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They're no friends - they're greedy freeloading pigs. :rotfl:

Just go up to the till, pay for your own food on the bill. Go back to the table, say you went to pay your half of the bill but they did it a bit wrong and charged only for your food. Brush it off and leave the other couple to pay for what they owe.

See if they try to argue that you should pay any more, and justify it :D

Say you didn't realise there was such a difference in the share of the bill, and you'll stick to that new arrangement in future.
  • 1d2a3d4d5i6o
    Options
    a recent birthday get together consisted of 2 familys, one family had special offer half price pizza's the other family had rib eye steaks, one family had tapwater, beer and coke to drink the other had bottles of wine at £21 a bottle, at least 2 followed by a port after the meal, then cognacs and coffee to follow, With the saying put it on the bill put it on the bill, needless to say I blew a fuse, which didnt go down well. But at least the bill was fairly divided one familys ( 6 persons in each family) total bill was £120 the other was approx. £300. I did overhear the person who was ordering the bottles of wine panic and say they didnt think they had enough money to pay their bill !!!:T
    to all people here who think they are being taken for a ride, YOU ARE and your so called friends know exactly what they are doing, so tell them before you start 'im a bit skint lets pay for our own meals OK' and I think you will find those extravigant meals a thing of the past. :T
  • Brightness
    Brightness Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    We had this done to us on two occasions. There was me, hubs and youngest son who had a kid's meal. The neighbours we invited themselves along turned up with their two kids (one child portion) and daughter's boyfriend. They all had 3 courses, wine and loads of drinks and we had one course with cokes.

When it came to the bill he just said to my hubs 'splitting it are we?'. Hubs being the gentle soul that he is agreed but I was furious. The next time they invited themselves along I asked the waitress after they had ordered if we could have a separate bill but same table number. It wasn't a problem at all to the staff but they were very quiet during the meal - funny but they never invited themselves along again :rotfl:

We occasionally go out with other neighbours and split the bill but we are good friends with them and do things for each other. For instance, the hubby came over the other week with free rugby tickets for my hubs and sons. He'd been given 6 at work but only wanted 3 so they all had a good day out and he even insisted on giving my hubs half the petrol money.

True friends think before they act, fake friends and free loaders don't!
  • Peterinberkshire
    Options
    Lets's be honest they are taking the Mikey. Don't bother to split the bill - just choose nicer people to have lunch with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure