Outcome - post 14. Bike useless after 13 months

HurdyGurdy
HurdyGurdy Posts: 987 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 21 May 2018 at 7:51PM in Consumer rights
In April last year, I purchased two folding electric bikes from Ideal World Shopping channel. First (and last!) ever purchase off a shopping channel.

The bikes have been problematic ever since I received them.

Between the two, we have had pedals falling off, chains falling off, punctures (due to poor quality tyres), the handlebars collapsing whilst riding, the saddle collapsing whilst riding, the wheel being damaged beyond repair due to going over a dropped kerb. etc etc etc.

When the wheel got irreparably damaged, I contacted Ideal World, who put me onto the company who deal with replacement/spare parts and suggested I contacted them. I made several attempts, and finally when I rang after about the fifth time, got through to a full mailbox. Ideal World were contacted again, and they somehow provided a replacement (refurbished) wheel.

The latest problem is that on one of them, the clip that releases the handlebars to raise/lower them has sheared in half. My husband tried to replace it with a jubilee clip, but this hasn't worked as when you start to ride, after about 10 yards, the handlbars start to twist. I ended up trying to ride it home with my left arm completely straight and my right arm bent, with the elbow behind my waist.

I have again tried to contact the provider of the spare parts, and was asked to email my query to them, which I did.

I received a reply saying Sorry, we don't supply Ideal World Shopping Channel any more and can't provide any spare parts.

I have forwarded this email to Ideal World and I'm waiting to hear back from them as to what, f anything, they are able to do for me.

Does anyone have any idea what my position is? I know that they will be outside of a year's warranty period - but only just. Does Ideal World have any obligation here, or is it just chalk it up to experience and chuck the (£500) bike, as it is unrideable.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 May 2018 at 2:36PM
    HurdyGurdy wrote: »
    In April last year, I purchased two folding electric bikes from Ideal World Shopping channel. First (and last!) ever purchase off a shopping channel.

The bikes have been problematic ever since I received them.

Between the two, we have had pedals falling off, chains falling off, punctures (due to poor quality tyres), the handlebars collapsing whilst riding, the saddle collapsing whilst riding, the wheel being damaged beyond repair due to going over a dropped kerb. etc etc etc.

When the wheel got irreparably damaged, I contacted Ideal World, who put me onto the company who deal with replacement/spare parts and suggested I contacted them. I made several attempts, and finally when I rang after about the fifth time, got through to a full mailbox. Ideal World were contacted again, and they somehow provided a replacement (refurbished) wheel.

The latest problem is that on one of them, the clip that releases the handlebars to raise/lower them has sheared in half. My husband tried to replace it with a jubilee clip, but this hasn't worked as when you start to ride, after about 10 yards, the handlbars start to twist. I ended up trying to ride it home with my left arm completely straight and my right arm bent, with the elbow behind my waist.

I have again tried to contact the provider of the spare parts, and was asked to email my query to them, which I did.

I received a reply saying Sorry, we don't supply Ideal World Shopping Channel any more and can't provide any spare parts.

I have forwarded this email to Ideal World and I'm waiting to hear back from them as to what, f anything, they are able to do for me.

Does anyone have any idea what my position is? I know that they will be outside of a year's warranty period - but only just. Does Ideal World have any obligation here, or is it just chalk it up to experience and chuck the (£500) bike, as it is unrideable.

How did you pay ?

Its been over a year so maybe you could try small claims court, send a letter of complaint first. Whats the make of the bike ?

A bit extreme to chuck the bike, how did you pay ?
    If credit card you might have luck there.

Maybe post the timeline of events first eg what went wrong first etc.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Chains and tyres are just normal ware and tear, to keep costs down bikes tend to be sold with cheap tyres, which is why they are usually the first thing I change on a new bike, often immediately after purchase.

Any decent bike shop should be able replace the securing mechanism. Using a jubilee clip is a dangerous bodge, your bikes should be serviced by a competent person, when was the last time that was done?
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Chains and tyres are just normal ware and tear, to keep costs down bikes tend to be sold with cheap tyres, which is why they are usually the first thing I change on a new bike, often immediately after purchase.

Any decent bike shop should be able replace the securing mechanism. Using a jubilee clip is a dangerous bodge, your bikes should be serviced by a competent person, when was the last time that was done?

Chains don't wear out after just 13 months of use.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Nobody has said the chain has worn though, just that it keeps coming off which could be caused by not putting it on properly of incorrectly changing gears causing it to jump, worst case it could be slightly too big and then it just needs a link or two taken out. They are not faults but just part of bike ownership.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 May 2018 at 7:21PM

Yes they do, no chain should be used beyond a year, my bikes get a new chain twice a year it saves wear on the more expensive sprockets.

If chains keep coming off it is a matter of poor adjustment, but that is what you get when buying bikes on line. Fine if you know how to maintain a bike, but most people do not have a clue.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Do we know what sort of mileage the bike has covered?

For example, commuting ten miles each way, five days a week might be a bit much.
  • HurdyGurdy
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    How did you pay ? It was by credit card. So thank you, I hadn't even considered the possibility of a claim against them

Whats the make of the bike ? e-life. They are still selling them (different model) on Ideal World Shopping Channel, so I am hopeful that they will be able to source a spare part for it

A bit extreme to chuck the bike I know it's extreme, but if the handlbars don't remain straight, then it's impossible to ride

Maybe post the timeline of events first eg what went wrong first etc.
    I will try and remember and put it down in order

Thank you
  • HurdyGurdy
    Chains and tyres are just normal ware and tear, to keep costs down bikes tend to be sold with cheap tyres, which is why they are usually the first thing I change on a new bike, often immediately after purchase. I've had "bulletproof" tyres put on the rear wheels of both bikes now. My local bike shop said that because all the weight (rider and battery) is on the back, the tyres take a real punishment. Fingers crossed, sinc the new tyres have been put on, they have lived up to their reputation, and we've had no more punctures

We have "Doctor Bike" come round our offices a couple of times a year. He's looked at one of the bikes (the one mainly used by me) once. To be honest, I didn't think that our local shop would be able to supply a part, but I will go in there tomorrow and show them the part and see if they can

Thank you
  • HurdyGurdy

It's not even been used every day. Maybe three times a week, two weeks a month for commuting, and a few times at the weekends "for fun"
  • HurdyGurdy
    KeithP wrote: »
    Do we know what sort of mileage the bike has covered?

For example, commuting ten miles each way, five days a week might be a bit much.

On one bike (the one my son mainly uses) it's six days a week for commuting, and it's four or five miles each way, on a dedicated cycle path running along side a guided busway, apart from a few residential streets between our house and the busway. He's also out on it A LOT in the evenings and weekends.

The second bike, the one I use, and the one that has the broken part, it's barely used. When I commute to work, it's three miles each way, along the same dedicated cycle path my son uses, but in the opposite direction (which, thankfully, has just been fully tarmaced, meaning there's no loose stones along it, which was causing a lot of the punctures.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure