PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sainsbury's £50 meal plan for the week

kit77
kit77 Posts: 197 Forumite
edited 17 May 2011 at 12:00PM in Old style MoneySaving
Just been reading this in the Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1383443/Sainsburys-launches-Feed-Family-50-campaign.html

Think this would be a good idea for people to start trying to meal plan.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Feb 2012 Grocery Challenge £200/£4.00

Save 12K in 12 months - £12K/£250

Comments

• quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    altho this looks pretty good it doesn't include store cupboard stuff, and it nothing brilliant i could do the same or similar meals for less, saying thats it's a good place to start if your new to meal planning or don't have the time to write out a list ect
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • flourgirl
    flourgirl Posts: 3,415 Forumite
    Might be a good idea in principle but what happens on a weekend? It really equates to £70 per week and I'm sure that there are lots of lovely peeps on here who could do it for much less. It is a good starting point for those who have never cooked from scratch and have no real idea about menu planning though.
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    I could do that for less money.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 May 2011 at 8:05PM
    it's for 7days (unlike the weekly one) they were just giving you a rought idea

http://www.sainsburys-feed-your-family.co.uk/

also theres no drinks so you can only have water cause it only includes 4pints of milk for a family for 4
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • flourgirl
    flourgirl Posts: 3,415 Forumite
    quintwins wrote: »
    it's for 7days (unlike the weekly one) they were just giving you a rought idea

http://www.sainsburys-feed-your-family.co.uk/

also theres no drinks so you can only have water cause it only includes 4pints of milk for a family for 4

Thank you, thats much clearer.
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    CH27 wrote: »
    I could do that for less money.

But there are soooooo many people that cannot.

Surely anything that helps people learn how to budget and feed their family is a good thing?

It's a starting point for people who just shop 'willy nilly' - to teach them how to meal plan/budget :)

From there they can work on it and improve :D
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • kit77
    kit77 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Yeah it does not take into consideration drinks or store cupboard items and most folk here could do much better in fact I think even I could to lol.

Still hopefully it might help some familys who need to cut back and dont know where to start. Every Little helps oops wrong supermarket lol
    Feb 2012 Grocery Challenge £200/£4.00

Save 12K in 12 months - £12K/£250
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Quackers wrote: »
    But there are soooooo many people that cannot.

Surely anything that helps people learn how to budget and feed their family is a good thing?

It's a starting point for people who just shop 'willy nilly' - to teach them how to meal plan/budget :)

From there they can work on it and improve :D

Definately:)
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I saw this in the Guardian on Saturday, apparently they did it 17 years ago and the amount was still £50 then (maybe they meant the equivalent of £50?)
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • I've just gone onto the Sainsbury's website and added their shopping list to a basket in the precise quantities they state.

It comes to more than £50.

I'll stick to the market and the butchers, I think. They charged me £1.65 for a pound of lean steak mince and £1.50 for 4 chicken thighs that aren't full of added water yesterday. Chucked the chicken in with some garam masala, allspice, bonnet pepper, water and two potatoes and it probably cost me about £2 - which is an expensive meal in the real world. And leaves me enough in a week to be able to stretch to such luxuries as soap and teabags.

I think promotions like this make people think they should be spending that amount on food each week, and even encouraging some people to want to spend even more, as they would think themselves stingy otherwise.

After all, supermarkets aren't doing this to be nice to customers; they are doing it to try and get more people spending in their shops or thinking they have saved so much on food that they spend double on cleaning products and general crap.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family