PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Oops Any Vinegar Experts Out There

Comments

• Woofles
    Woofles Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    Whilst looking for something to use my unfortunate mistake with I came across this

http://www.vintagerecipes.net/books/domestic_cookery/mushrooms_4.php

looks interesting.

I don't like a lot of pickles the most adventurous I get is pickled red cabbage and that usually ends up going soggy.:o
    Woofles you need to get out of that house. You are going insane:eek: - colinw

apologises for spelling mistakes - google toolbar and I have had a hissy fit and I've lost me spell checker.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    chinagirl wrote: »
    pickled eggs...:eek:, I had a nasty over-indulgence experience with them few years ago, and cannot even look at them now:o

Definitely not for me but my OH and his brother l-u-r-v-e them.
  • There's loads you can do with it!
    Pickled beetroot is very easy to do (top and tail beetroot, boil in water to soften, then remove skins, slice, and put in vinegar).
    If you're feeling more adventurous then you could try making piccalilli? We followed the recipe on waitrose.com, and although we dont' like it we've had so many people asking us to make some for them! Be warned though, keep the windows open as boiling vinegar is a bit potent!
    Pickling onions are cheap from the market - we got 5kg for £3, and we've got some nice kilner jars that we're going to fill with all sorts of pickles and jams to give as Xmas presents this year, so even if you don't like them you could get on Ebay (search Kilner Jars) and make a few little jars as gifts for people!
  • Try to obtain "Vinegar 1001 practical uses " by Margaret Briggs - there are some copies on e bay. Deals with everything. cooking, cleaning , garden, laundry etc. Some ideas- removing sticky labels, removing grease from suede, counteract smell of cats pee in the case of indoor accidents, dissove chewing gum, cleaning windows 2 tablespoos to a litre. dry with newspaper, remove paint from glass with hot vinegar. Overnight car outside- Wipe windows with 1 part water to 3 part vinegar to prevent over night frost forming, etc etc
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    jomknight wrote: »
    Try to obtain "Vinegar 1001 practical uses " by Margaret Briggs - there are some copies on e bay.

I think this site has most of for free.

http://www.vinegartips.com/
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    SallyD wrote: »
    Anyone living near a chinese food supplier can pick up a gallon of White Vinegar for about £1.50 !!!!!! I get mine from Loon Fung Hong but also could try Asian Food Stores.

My local green grocer sells them too.
  • I'm assuming you've broken the seal on the bottle so it's too late for my suggestion, but I also shop online with Sainsburys and if you ever in future find that you've accidentally bought the wrong thing, you can return it to a store for a refund, as long as you take the receipt, within a certain time limit. Details are on the Sainsbury's website (sorry, I would post a link but I have to dash now!). If it's a non-perishable item, it would be worth phoning the helpline and asking if you can return it to the driver when he brings your next delivery.
  • Woofles wrote: »
    Did an online shop with Sainsburys for the first time (I normally use Tesco) and have mistakenly bought a 1 lt jar of spiced pickling vinegar.:o

Have opened it and smelled it and it just smells like ordinary vinegar to me, the smell of which I'm not too fond of. Is there anything I can do with it apart from pickling. I do use vinegar as a descaler around taps, but that's just a dab or two on some cotton wool.

Its in a very nice tall glass jar, which will be a nice storage container eventually, if I ever live long enough to use it all up.

:rotfl:[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Use it to make your own sweet and sour sauce, recopies can be found on the internet
  • Spiced vinegar, tomato sauce, brown sugar and lemon juice = Sweet and sour sauce, just add meat or fish
  • rosepink
    rosepink Posts: 33
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I love to make spiced pickled pears and the vinegar would be fine for this.Check for recipe on internet.I use one from Delia Smith.Delicious served with cold meats and of course cold turkey at Christmas!:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure