PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bread book (making by hand)??

2»

Comments

• competitionscafe
    competitionscafe Posts: 4,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 April 2009 at 12:10AM
    Dan is the man. :)

His baking with passion book is excellent too:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baking-Passion-Baker-Spice-Lepard/dp/1902757645/
    (Silly prices from amazon sellers but Waterstones says it is reprinting and can be ordered for £9.99:
    http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=3779169 )

It can also be bought as two seperate books if you just want the bread bit or the cakes bit or don't want to wait for a reprint: 'Exceptional Breads' and 'Exceptional Cakes' (same content, just split into 2 books).

Waterstones has the cakes one for £4.79 and Play.com has the bread one for £4.99 or Borders for £5.39 - all with free delivery.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Dan is the man. :)

His baking with passion book is excellent too:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baking-Passion-Baker-Spice-Lepard/dp/1902757645/

It can also be bought as two seperate books if you just want the bread bit or the cakes bit: 'Exceptional Breads' and 'Exceptional Cakes' (same content, just split into 2 books).

Waterstones has the cakes one for £4.79 and Play.com has the bread one for £4.99 or Borders for £5.39 - all with free delivery.
    Remember cashback too :A
  • i find using the website "allrecipes.com" works perfectly. There
    are more recipes on the US site than the UK, and there is a tool to convert the measurements. Its free to use and many other users have added their comments and opinions after trying out the recipes.
  • mouseymousey99
    mouseymousey99 Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    I've got a Killner jar ready and I'm going to try making the yeast mix etc. Fascinating reading, could never understand before how some days you make good bread some days it takes a while (if you see what I mean) now I'm understanding more about the yeasts and things in the air; makes more sense!
  • There is only 1 book you need for making bread that is Bread Matters by Andrew Whitley of The Village Bakery, Melmerby Cumbria. It is a very informative book with excellent recipies and Techniques
  • I have had a lot of really good ideas from "Bread Machine" by Jennie Shapter ISBN 1 84309 399 5
    I got it in a discount bookshop for a fiver!

I changed my Morphy Richards breadmaker for a Panasonic four months ago.
    What a difference. Everything that I've done in it has exceeded expectations. My wife's given me the job now.
  • I forgot to say, it is really important to weigh everything, so that you get consistent results. A scoop can vary, depending how compacted the flour is. Because of this, I've changed my scales to metric (grams) measurements, as they are far "finer scale" than pounds & ounces.
  • mouseymousey99
    mouseymousey99 Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    I made my sourdough starter yesterday. I think I made a mutant Ninja strain though as it soon was froathing over the Kilner jar ....mmmm back to the drawing board.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure