PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh, that is a good idea maryb. I've started taking Osteocare (other calcium supplements are available :D) and have full fat milk on my cereal, and of course the Greek yogurt is a good source of it as well. I did ask if I could have a bone scan as my mother and aunt both had osteoporosis, but the GP sort of steered me away from that and said they recommend everyone over 55 takes a supplement (pity they didn't tell me when I was 55 then.)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My DD who is a GP warned me that taking too much calcium by way of supplements has been linked to heart problems in ladies as we get older, just to flag it up!
  • ivyleaf
    Options
    My DD who is a GP warned me that taking too much calcium by way of supplements has been linked to heart problems in ladies as we get older, just to flag it up!

Oh, great! Seems we can't win. Mind you, I expect someone else has done a study that shows it's really good for the heart. I wonder how much is deemed to be too much?
  • Saipan
    Saipan Posts: 54 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    Oh, great! Seems we can't win. Mind you, I expect someone else has done a study that shows it's really good for the heart. I wonder how much is deemed to be too much?

Just a plea really that it's probably best to check with your doctor before making any decisions about supplements.

I have a quite serious heart condition and the medication I take to reduce my risk of cardiac arrest and stroke is calcium based (and I can really taste it if I don't swallow the pills properly first time round). I had no symptoms before I had a routine test for something else and it showed up, so I wouldn't have known about my condition otherwise.

We are all so individual and so many factors are involved, I feel very strongly that checking is by far the safest way to go.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sound and sensible advice Saipan, thank you!
  • ivyleaf
    Options
    Thank you Saipan :)

My GP simply said they recommended that everyone over 55 take a calcium supplement, but she didn't actually ask me how much dairy etc I already have in my diet.

I know one of the foods recommended for calcium is canned oily fish with bones; I don't eat the bones when I have sardines or canned salmon though, can't stand the feel of them. I actually only buy the "skinless and boneless" versions.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I found my calcium supplement was the unsuspected cause of most of my IBS. The one my GP prescribed was calcium carbonate with Vit D3 and it caused bloating and constipation. It took a long time for me to work it out because you tend to suspect wheat etc. I'm not coeliac but it was very similar.

Now I buy my own supplements based on calcium citrate which is much more digestible plus it contains magnesium and Vitamin K2. Vit K2 is different from the Vitamin K that deals with blood clotting. It helps with calcium metabolism so it stops the calcium taking the easy route and depositing itself in soft tissue i.e. your arteries, and instead directs it into your bones. They are doing a full scale clinical trial at Kings to see if K2 has as good results as bisphosphonates and I am really looking forward to seeing the results.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Modern lifestyle is bad for your health and mental attitude isn't it? I find too much information, conflicting messages and newly 'discovered' information that is then turned around in the media the next day very confusing, for want of a better word. It undermines the knowledge and common sense that you aquire as an individual throughout your life and invalidates your ideas and ideals so you feel you need guidance from outside yourself to get things right! I don't do social media but I do play on these forums and watch TV and read the newspaper and read online and life gets more complex by the day with being advised what you should and shouldn't be doing from many different sources!!! The prebiotic water I found yesterday is an extreme example of oddness but so many articles about what you should be and should not be eating for various reasons are prolific.

Where has the common sense in life gone? a time when food was to keep you alive and give you the energy to live through the day seems to be gone, it is a great concern to me that should we EVER find ourselves in a position where the supply chain is disrupted or dries up the population in general will have no stores of food, no knowledge of how to forage, no idea (generalisation) of how to prepare and cook food, no idea of how to grow and produce food.....it's frankly scary as a concept and only the tiniest tip of the iceberg of things modern man and woman have lost as skills. How can we turn this around???
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    All hail a healthy balanced plate!

When I was having one of my A&E episodes I was asked as I was having a full blood count did I take any suppliments. Thankfully I had stopped because I was getting used to asthma meds and a high resting heart rate. The junior doctor was relieved saying thank goodness because it means they can get an accurate picture as to what was going on for me. She said that taking one supplement can reduce other vitamin and/or mineral levels into he body so without a clear medical history of prescribed supplements and why there's no regulating how it effects the body.

I surmised that what she was getting at was the layman doesn't really understand what they're taking so there's no way of knowing how accurate the blood test results are in terms of our bodies going out of sync.

I've supplemented 'naturally' for a good few years now but no more. I get it from my plate and educate myself about food. I'm scared to mess about now.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have been eating a gruesomely healthy diet, with success that has both practice nurse wearing in Irish & GP asking me to repeat as he hadn't believed his ears the first time.

I celebrated with an extra 300 calories of the sort of rubbish I've been scrupulously avoiding for 8 months & scrunch. I have a stinking cold, sore throat, skeleton the wrong size, eyeballs temporarily wrong for my glasses. Back to my green veg soup! Next treat will be a properly sourced steak, none of this just three more bites to Type 2 nonsense.

As for the youth of today not having a clue, I have a modicum of proof. My car got broken into & they nicked the satnav.
    They left binoculars, a petzl headtorch, a brewkit in a mess tin with hexy cooker matches & enough tea & coffee etc to drown a rugby team & my Leatherman supertool.

I still need to get accurate with the airrifle (& shortbow again), and learn how you separate Cottontail & Bambi from their hides, and get a lot better with hedge food (although stroking sorrel, I have a handful of seeds so far & still two thirds of a patch to collect seed from.) The kids just helped me see that this little old lady has a much longer comfortable life expectancy in the Event than those kids.

Count me in for the kneesup, even if by then one has been cyborgised.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure