Debt-Free wanna be vs Maternity pay. Determined to stay on track.

Comments

• Ok so it's going to be a hectic journey and we need a lot of things to fall into place for it to happen so here goes. Anyone reading with advice I would greatly appreciate any as I'm new to all this.

So dp spoke to his step dad who he ownes a house with. Up until 5 months ago it had defaulted with late payments months. His dad has got payments back on track for the last 5 months. He has agreed to sell the house as he now has somewhere else to live. He said once sold DP should receive £10000 but it's a waiting game and we need to see how quickly this happens and how much dp really gets.

We are thinking due to DP's credit card report having the defaults on I will have to go for the mortgage alone. My current contracted salary is £25000 but I've been on £600 mat pay for the last month and will be for the next 5 months. A friend I know has said that a mortgage advisor will be able to find a lender who will take into account my normal salary and not the mat leave.....but I will be going part time once I'm back. I will need to lie about this and try and get enough paper work together to say I'm going back full time. I haven't yet applied to go part time so everything still looks as if I'm full time. I have no worries about being able to afford the mortgage once I'm part time as dp earns £30000 which won't be taken into account. We share all money equally.

I have borrowed £1000 from the kids savings to clear a good chunk of my credit card and hopefully boost my credit score from fair to good.

I have a help to buy ISA as this is my first home. I will move as much money as I can into this £200 a month is the max. My savings below are already in this so we should get some benefit from the government scheme. This willl be added to the money dp receives from the house sale. We estimate our house value around £85,000 and are hoping to have just over a 15% deposit. We will get a proper survey and valuation once the house sells and we know what money we are getting.

If we are successful in getting the mortgage it would be £330 ish a month our current rent is £475 so we can save the excess along with about £300 extra we will have spare once I'm back at work. We don't won't to stay in this house but figure buying it will leave us with a bigger deposit in three years then paying rent and saving for three years. In which time dp's credit score should have recovered and we will have a larger deposit and both our wages can be taken into account.

Like I say it's a lot of things we need to work out for us and a lot of waiting but I need to rein in my spending incase we get to the stage and they revivw my accounts.

We will be buying the house we currently rent off the land lord without the estate agent fees.

I think that's everything my brains been going over and over since last night. X
    emergency fund:£179/ £1000 Uniform/car fund:£
    boys savings £
    Christmas £60 bday £40 holiday £

Family loan £7000/£5425
    Credit Card 0% £2015.32 eon £435 overdrafts £1500/£1300
  • Pay day today. All money moved around. I got a small tax rebate that I wasn't exspecting which was a nice bonus.

Soent the day at a pub/soft play meet a couple of mummy friends I. The morning then my sister niece and nephew meet us for lunch £15 soent in total so not to bad considering we were there about 5 hours.

I've plans to go to the social club tomorrow night with my neighbor but she often cancels things last min so we shall see.

I've arranged to see another friend with children Sunday we will go to her house for a play date as I hate soft play at weekends. X
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • Quick check in. Man I'm shattered and struggling today. Ds'2 has been staying down with us then when we come to bed feeding then going down but I've only been sleeping 11-4 then by the times he's feed and resettled dp'a alarm is going off for work and I can't sleep as I know DS2 will be awake soon so I'm living off 5 hours sleep on a goodnight less on a bad one. I need a lie in!!! Thinking of heading up early tonight to try and catch up but I need to go down and make pack ups and tidy then shower. Wahhh rant over.

Few spends today. £1 on 10x birthday cards from the card factory. I could have done with just picking up all cards for the year while I was there to save me popping to Tesco but DS1 was getting restless so I had to run. £10 spent on sale Christmas bits and bobs for next year. They were all massive bargains so that was good. Then £19 on some new boots from next for DS1 as his shoes he wears to preschool we're getting tatty. Then I ordered a Chinese and got DP to pick it up on his way home from work. I just couldn't find the energy to juggle both kids (ds2 is so clingy at the moment and will only sleep on me) and cook. Hopefully a early night will make me feel better. X
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • Oh and I want to buy a rug a big cream one!!!! I know it makes no sense with two kids but I'm getting urges aghhh!
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • Oooh and I want to buy a rug a big cream one which makes no sense at all with the messy boys and needing to save money situation, but I'm getting urges aghhhh!
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • Aghh I've been spending again. £30 spent on two toys one for ds'a birthday and one for some twins who's birthday is in a couple of months. Then I spent £103 on a rug!!! The living room has wooden floor and it's so cold so my mum gave me a big rug last week but it was so smelly I borrowed a carpet shampoer but I could still smell it all through out the house. So invite the bullet and brought a new one. It was is the sale and it's a good quality one and my motto is buy cheap buy twice, it is cream though so I just need to make sure the boys don't ruin it. Oops!! That's it no more spending!!!EVER!
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • On a good note. Sig just updated and debt is now 30% down!!! The rug can be my reward for getting so far ;0) x
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • cms-help
    cms-help Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've read your diary but never posted.

Congrats on the birth of your second son.

I have two boys and I would have to say "return the rug" - in all honesty, cream isn't going to survive. I had beige-ish carpets - they've done more harm to them in 2 years than in the years they had been down previously with 3 dogs. As soon as they're a bit older, the carpets will be changed but just pointless doing it now. My kids are 5 and 2.
  • Hi cms-help thanks for reading and commenting, your boys may have ruined yours but mine don't like play doh, paining, motion sand, food, mud, sick or poop so it's going to be ok!! Ha ha who am I kidding! It's to late I love how it makes the room look! !!!!!!!
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • cms-help
    cms-help Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Mine aren't allowed play-doh or paint in the living room. We don't have any motion sand as they have a massive sand pit in the garden. Well you get the general idea. Just be prepared for lots of cleaning and certainly ban them from the room with the rug whilst toilet training (or lift the rug up for that period of time!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure