Options
2»

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    Was it an MOT only station or do they do repairs?

I am sure some fail sometimes so that the MOT station get some work.
    I got quoted £170 for a balljoint replacement, that another garage did for £50, and I thought £50 was expensive, lol.

I cannot understand why brakepipes are made from a material that rusts.
    I had a recall on my 12 year old car this month, for a rear spoiler which could detatch; surely brake pipes are just as important.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 August 2018 at 7:43PM
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I am sure some fail sometimes so that the MOT station get some work.
    I got quoted £170 for a balljoint replacement, that another garage did for £50, and I thought £50 was expensive, lol.

I cannot understand why brake pipes are made from a material that rusts.
    I had a recall on my 12 year old car this month, for a rear spoiler which could detatch; surely brake pipes are just as important.

1: £50 is not expensive, £170 is, probably a Main Dealer?
    2: Most cars are manufactured with steel brake pipes. Within 3 years (often less) of use in winters and salted UK roads, steel corrodes. Replacement pipes fitted by every garage I have ever known as a mechanic and a workshop foreman since I began in the trade many years ago, are of a material known as "Cunifer" or "Kunifer" and is a Copper Alloy. Its surface corrodes in a very thin, hard green patina which resists corrosion for many years. The bonus for the fitter, is that kunifer is bendable and more able to be threaded through gaps in the underside, over suspension, exhaust and steering components. Thus saving time and labour.

The system then has to be bled of air, with new brake fluid added. Brake fluid is practically incompressible, air is not. Bleeding brakes needs either 2 mechanics or an expensive tool, to pump fluid around the system whilst the other watches the expelled fluid until all airis gone. It is also recommended (but rarely taken up) that the whole of the fluid is renewed: it does become corrupted and less compressible with time.

3: brake pipes ARE more important, but a detached spoiler is visible, pipes are not. If you are worried and keeping the car for some years, why not have them all changed anyway, for non-corroding kunifer?

Hope that answers your question.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • sebloak
    sebloak Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I once had a Cat converter fall off minutes after passing an MOT.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Soot2006 wrote: »
    My old Bedford brakes failed about 100ft from my mechanic's forecourt lol while I was taking it there for an unrelated matter! Also good luck.

How far had you gone past before it eventually stopped?:D
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • sevenhills
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    2: Most cars are manufactured with steel brake pipes. Within 3 years (often less) of use in winters and salted UK roads, steel corrodes.

A replacement timing belt is recommended to be changed at 60,000 miles or 5+ years; is there a manufacturers recommended replacement time/mileage for brake pipes?
  • sevenhills
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »

The MOT was £25, no it was not a main dealer, just a garage trying to make some money from a cheap MOT.

http://in-n-out.co.uk/
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    A replacement timing belt is recommended to be changed at 60,000 miles or 5+ years; is there a manufacturers recommended replacement time/mileage for brake pipes?

No............
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No............

Andy is correct, but it does not absolve any vehicle keeper/driver from ensuring his vehicle is fit for the road. I suggest that anyone worried about this, asks a local garage for an appointment to inspect the underside on a ramp or lift. There will be a small charge and you should use a garage you trust. I used to do this for customers on request, with older cars, although I really suspect that pipes should not corrode in quantity before first MOT. IME, It is usually the pipes that hang out under the chassis, or live within wheel arches that are splashed with road muck, water and salt, which go first.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family