Carpet right won’t refund?

Hi would you know if I could return excess laminate and under lay?
Our local store measured and a friend fitted it but we have one unopened pack of laminate flooring left and one unopened pack of timber shield under lay which we’ve paid £80 for and don’t need
I feel we have been overcharged?

I rang the store and was point blank told no and that when items leave the store they can’t be returned

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,505 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    A good retailer would have no problem taking back unopened packages, especially on DIY products where batch numbers should match. Over the years I've returned wallpaper, carpet tiles, lino tiles and paint with no problem.

However Carpetright don't understand good customer service practice and is probably contributing to their demise.

All you can do is to take it further and see if they react in a more positive way.

Contact them via social media and see if someone there has NVQ level 1 in customer service.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Under normal circumstances if you bought it in store then you have no rights to a refund unless they allow it.

In this case though you could however argue that the stores measurements were wrong so you are entitled to a refund for their mistake.
  • Robby1988
    Robby1988 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If they measured and you have loads left over, surely that is their !!!! up? You shouldn't have to foot the bill for excessive amounts of material you didn't need because they mis measured.

I'd go down to the shop and make your case in person. Your making it easy for them phoning up.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Robby1988 wrote: »
    If they measured and you have loads left over, surely that is their !!!! up? You shouldn't have to foot the bill for excessive amounts of material you didn't need because they mis measured.

I'd go down to the shop and make your case in person. Your making it easy for them phoning up.

^^^^^^^^^
    This
    Preferably on a Saturday :D
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    An estimator will usually allow 10% excess. 1 pack excess is to be expected. You would be mighty upset if you were one pack short.

Sensible to keep the pack in case you need to make a repair.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Smellyonion
    Smellyonion Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    They're not legally entitled to accept it back.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    They're not legally entitled to accept it back.

Of course they are!

They are not obliged, however
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    bris wrote: »
    Under normal circumstances if you bought it in store then you have no rights to a refund unless they allow it.

In this case though you could however argue that the stores measurements were wrong so you are entitled to a refund for their mistake.

There is a general allowance if 10% for wasteage, then you still need to round to a whole pack after that. 1 pack is not a measuring mistake. If they only ordered 'enough' to cover the measurements, then the OP would have been short, because of that wasteage.

Different people also lay things differently. I've physically drawn up tile layouts to calculate exactly what should be used, with a few spares and we can still end up short. And sometimes we end up with stuff left over. It is what it is.

If the retailer doesn't physically stock what the OP bought, then it's understandable that they don't take it back.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • katie4
    katie4 Posts: 430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks every one I spoke to a lovely lady in their customer services department who is happy for me to return them for a full refund :)

************THREAD CLOSED*************

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper