pcp finance or loan

Options
I'm after a new car but what the best cheapest way to get one!! pcp finance or take out a loan and and but the car out right. I've recently paid off debts to help with my credit score so I don't want to make a mistake that could damage my score.

Comments

• BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    samhawtin8 wrote: »
    I'm after a new car but what the best cheapest way to get one!! pcp finance or take out a loan and and but the car out right. I've recently paid off debts to help with my credit score so I don't want to make a mistake that could damage my score.

Pays off debt to get a better 'score'.

Uses better 'score' to take out debt on a depreciating asset.

That is illogical, Captain.
  • samhawtin8
    Options
    unfortunately I need a vehicle for work but I don't have the finances to buy one on my own! hence the above question..........have you a more constructive reply
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    unfortunately I need a vehicle for work but I don't have the finances to buy one on my own! hence the above question..........have you a more constructive reply

Drip. Drip.

Yes. There is no cheap way to buy a new car. What happened to your old car? Why do you need a new car for work? My car's 14 years old this year and yet I use it for work every day. Did earlier, in fact.
  • samhawtin8
    Options
    my car is also 14years young I travel around Calderdale with work and my car just cant handle it any more the clutch is going the brakes need doing and speedo has stopped working, its got over 105.000 on the clock and the MOT runs end of march........ I'm just after advice on which would be the best option
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    my car is also 14years young I travel around Calderdale with work and my car just cant handle it any more the clutch is going the brakes need doing and speedo has stopped working, its got over 105.000 on the clock and the MOT runs end of march........ I'm just after advice on which would be the best option

Repair the existing car. It will be cheaper than buying a new car.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 January 2018 at 8:02PM
    Options

The only ways in which a car loan could adversely affect your credit score are (a) if you default on the agreement, or (b) if you want to apply for a mortgage and your car loan creates a "dent" in your affordability calculation.

In terms of "cheapest", it is a complex question, and depends in part on information that you have not provided: what car, how old, kept for how long, what usage, how many miles per year?

There's also the question of what "cheapest" means in this context? Cheapest for monthly payments, low/no deposit, cost per year, cost per mile? Eventually own the car, or not own it? Replace frequently or keep for the long term?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Then get a smaller loan that you can afford and buy a newer used car.
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    To clarify, when you say you want to buy a 'new' car - do you mean brand new, or simply 'new' to you (ie a used car)? The latter would be the cheapest option.
  • consumers_revenge
    Options

Ford focus by any chance?
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    as usual lots of judgmental posts and not much help

The car dealers love PCP and a lot of the cars leaving the showroom are financed in this manner, the attraction for the buyer is low monthly payments so you get in a new car for low monthlies but are faced with a large balloon payment if you want to keep the car at the end of PCP term

dealers love PCP because most people just hand the car back and jump in a new car after three years selling their sole to the dealer for another term

dealer finance has higher monthly payments but if you can get zero or very low APR with some dealer and manufacturer contributions and want to keep the car for the duration then this may be a better way to buy the car as it is yours at the end of the agreement with no large balloon payment

if the dealer finance is not being offered at low or zero APR then a low cost loan may be the way to go if you have a good credit rating and can get a 2.8% apr loan then this may be cheaper than the dealer finance offering

but as said there is no real cheap way to buy a car but you have to way up your options and your needs and go with what is best for you

I personally like to save for my cars and usually try and keep them around five years so as soon as i buy a new car i start saving for the next car and five years down the line i have the means to replace my current car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure