PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is it a good time to be a landlord?

findingtaxtaxing
findingtaxtaxing Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 8 January 2018 at 3:38PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi

I have some money from an inheritance which I'm looking to invest (around £150k). I'd always thought that if I had the money I'd buy a small house and rent it out. I'm almost mortgage free in my own house. But a friend who is a landlord is looking to sell his house and has suggested now isn't a good time to be a landlord - I'd love to know what other people think.

I know that house prices can go up as well as down but I always thought bricks and mortar was a reasonably safe bet. Savings accounts don't offer much return and I'm not big on risk taking so thought I'd avoid stocks and shares.

Thanks for sharing your opinions with me. I have a child with additional needs who may not be able to work as an adult so this is for their future too.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's fine as long as you do your research.

Will you be buying outright?

If so, you should have fewer problems.
  • Yes, I thought that buying within budget would be better than taking out a buy to let mortgage. I think my friend was suggesting he thought there would be a Labour government soon and that "Labour hate landlords" so would make it difficult to grow an investment.
  • Mossfarr
    Mossfarr Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    I am a landlord and my view is that it is not a good time to be a landlord.
    The is very little profit to be made - particularly if you let through an agent. If you arrange the lettings and management yourself its a lot more work than you think - and a lot of legal requirements to comply with (and these are increasing all the time)!
    And, worst of all, if you are unlucky and get a bad tenant who doesn't pay and damages your property it could end up costing you thousands.
  • Yes, I'd use an agent to fully manage things. I don't have the time or knowledge to do everything myself.
  • Comms69
    Yes, I'd use an agent to fully manage things. I don't have the time or knowledge to do everything myself.
    Find the time. Ultimately you would be liable for every aspect of the tenancy.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Fully read the following post and all of the links it contains. This is the absolute minimum you should research before even thinking about becoming a landlord.

Also using an agent doesn't absolve you of any of the responsibilities, at the end of the day it's you that is liable for any mistakes.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5180214
  • Thanks for the link - I'll take a look...it's all starting to sound much more complicated than I thought.
  • Comms69
    Thanks for the link - I'll take a look...it's all starting to sound much more complicated than I thought.

It may help to take a look at some of the posts on here, every week there's atleast one eviction post, one rent unpaid post and one deposit question (your top 3)
  • Dorian1958
    Dorian1958 Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you are not big on risk taking, then I would suggest this is not for you. There are risks all over with this idea; buying an unsuitable property, not understanding your market, assessing whether or not you have the skill set required to manage a property and an agent (who will need to be managed), being able to vet prospective tenants, managing it like a business, and having the mental and financial resources to cope when things don't always go to plan. When things are going ok, money can still be made, MrsDorian and I have 2 outright owned rentals making about 5%after costs but before tax. After another 7 years or so we plan to sell so there might be a bit of capital gain as well (also taxable). A lot for you to think about and not the path to easy riches that some folk think it is.Good luck.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes, I'd use an agent to fully manage things. I don't have the time or knowledge to do everything myself.
    Don't assume that this will mean they will take over all your responsibilities as a LL and that you will get good service for your money. My experience through 3 different agents was that they were more hard work managing then managing the tenants directly. They ripped us off each chance they got, and in the end, any matters resorted in them calling me asking me what to do, so didn't really see the point of paying them £100 a month for that luxury.

It's hard work being a landlord but considering the impact of doing things wrong, I much rather do it myself, save my money and take in on the chin if I do something wrong. Lots and lots of readings (and you'll see a lot of links here to what you need to know) will be much more valuable. Put the money you would pay an agency aside and you'll have a pot of money to deal with any urgency.

Do you maths before you do anything, you'd be amazed how much being a LL cost and most will only gain from it as a long term investment. In that case, you need to weigh whether it is worth the stress and aggro.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure