PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House renting question

2»

Comments

• NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Did your grandmother ever live in the property?
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This is a double thread. Why did you post the same thing twice?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5770170
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Margot123 wrote: »
    ....Ring the Council for clarification. .....
    He's not the tenant, he has no contract or relationship with council: Council would be wrong to advise him. It's the tenant who needs to check... (perhaps via carefully worded email/letter drafted by OP)
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think your imagination is running right[/QUOTE]

Riot?:)

Unless expressly forbidden by the council, I can't see any reason why the OP should not be his grandfather's lodger.

Presumably Grandpa would need to advise the council that he no longer lived alone.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I think your imagination is running right. It is in no way subletting, at most the OP would be a lodger, but I'm not sure that a family member would even be regarded as that. Unless you can back up your views with legislation I'd say they are unnecessary scaremongering.

Things must be very different in the area you live in. OR you have no experience of Council properties and those who live in them.

AND yes, my imagination is running 'RIGHT'. Freudian slip???

Good luck to OP and dear old Grandpa.........
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Margot123 wrote: »
    Things must be very different in the area you live in. OR you have no experience of Council properties and those who live in them.

AND yes, my imagination is running 'RIGHT'. Freudian slip???

Good luck to OP and dear old Grandpa.........

Not a Freudian slip, a plain error. I still don't see you quoting any legislation to support your view.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    xylophone wrote: »

Riot?:) Corrected :o

Unless expressly forbidden by the council, I can't see any reason why the OP should not be his grandfather's lodger.

Isn't a family member just a house guest, whether they are paying or not?
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Before jumping in and starting to pay rent/taxes, have a word with your grandfather's GP, explain the situation and they might be able to give you a letter showing that he is declining in health and needs help.
    You could then take that letter to the council to show that you are willing to move in with your grandfather as there is no one else around to help him.
    Under no circumstance mention that you are willing to take on the rent/taxes. Let them work out how much they think your contribution should be. You are willing to take on the job to look after your grandfather, but you should not be penalized for this financially.
    Even though you will be living there, I am sure that your grandfather should still receive benefits, maybe at a reduced level.
    Give it a try, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Look at it this way, your grandfather have earned what he is receiving, he worked hard all his life and paid into the system, unlike some who have not paid and are receiving benefits monthly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure