Is this possible?

Options

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    only in the opinion of 'some bloke on the internet'.
    Not in the opinion of 'some other bloke on the internet'.
    Alternative views are available....

Really?

You genuinely think that this wasn't a condescending comment? If that is so then I hope you have no responsibility for educating or training anyone.

As the OP has thanked me for my comment I guess that she found it to be rude too.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was going to suggest that a TSB classic plus a/c may be a good idea too (especially if you can switch and get that cash bonus)
    Maybe think about that for the future as it pays 3% on £1.5K and I seem to think there are bonuses each month if you fulfil the t&cs. (Don't know this exactly as I have the older a/cs- I have to pay in £500 per month)You do need 2 x DDs though.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    I was going to suggest that a TSB classic plus a/c may be a good idea too (especially if you can switch and get that cash bonus)
    Maybe think about that for the future as it pays 3% on £1.5K and I seem to think there are bonuses each month if you fulfil the t&cs. (Don't know this exactly as I have the older a/cs- I have to pay in £500 per month)You do need 2 x DDs though.

Thanks! I need to wait until I'm not a student and have paid off my overdraft before switching anywhere but It's on my to do list!
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Really?

You genuinely think that this wasn't a condescending comment? If that is so then I hope you have no responsibility for educating or training anyone.

As the OP has thanked me for my comment I guess that she found it to be rude too.

I'm just ignoring him. I find it kinda sad that instead of helping or even staying quiet, people get kicks out of being rude. Does it make them feel better? Superior perhaps? Everyone has different life experiences and some people take longer than others to figure things out. Fortunately there are more nice people on here than rude ones. I've had loads of help in this thread and I've already taken steps to better my financial situation.
  • ValiantSon
    Options
    I'm just ignoring him. I find it kinda sad that instead of helping or even staying quiet, people get kicks out of being rude. Does it make them feel better? Superior perhaps? Everyone has different life experiences and some people take longer than others to figure things out. Fortunately there are more nice people on here than rude ones. I've had loads of help in this thread and I've already taken steps to better my financial situation.

I'm glad that it hasn't put you off asking for help in the future.

I agree that you have had some great replies. There isn't really anything I could add as everything I would have said has been (and more).

Best wishes.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    The whole tone of post was rude and condescending.

You may well have understood these things when you were still a child - congratulations - but not everyone does and it is so much better to politely explain, rather than make snide condescending remarks. The post in question did nothing to improve the OP's understanding, but instead just mocked them.

May be so but learn from an expert. The poster in question knows his stuff.
  • gatters
    gatters Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks! I need to wait until I'm not a student and have paid off my overdraft before switching anywhere but It's on my to do list!
    Your regular savings to LISA plan seems appropriate but I'd expect paying off your overdraft as soon as it is not 0% would be prudent.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd like to take advantage of the 5% interest on the Nationwide current account. It requires me to pay in £1000 a month minimum. I'm a student, I don't work at the minute but I do have plenty of savings to live off until I get a job (hopefully June!) :T

Can I, in theory, transfer £1000 (or however much up to £2500) from an account from another bank to that one, leave it a few days to get the interest, then transfer it back out? Do I have to use the account as an actual one? Not just for the interest? Can I send money between multiple accounts like this to get interest or will it look dodgy when I come to apply for a mortgage?

I'm going in anyway to ask as I want to try get their student account which has a bigger overdraft than mine which I can then add to my LISA before end of tax year.

Thanks!

A cautionary word re “free” student overdrafts. They can be withdrawn with just a few months notice and at some point you will be charged for it once you are no longer a student. Many people have been sucked into using these and then suddenly hit with charges once you graduate. Best avoided IMHO
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ValiantSon
    Options
    MABLE wrote: »
    May be so but learn from an expert. The poster in question knows his stuff.

Knowing what you are talking about doesn't excuse someone for being rude. If he genuinely wished to share his knowledge and understanding then he could have done so in a positive and friendly way. He did not, however, and instead chose to mock and belittle the OP. In fact there was nothing helpful in his post even after wading through the condescension and rudeness.

There is no excuse for that kind of behaviour.
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    I have another 2 years of my overdraft being free :) I do plan to pay it off asap though when I'm working as I'll likely be earning twice what I was when working low paid retail. I'm going to pretend I'm still on retail wages while putting the rest away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure