No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries January 2018

Comments

• mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Welcome to all newbies! It's lovely to have lurkers de-lurk, so come on the rest of you, you know we don't bite...

A TA. The Hero Project Vitamin C Brightening Serum. This was an NBI, and hopefully I can find my review on Am@zon, to leave a revised opinion. It is an orange oil, similar to others I have used, but leaves the skin feeling as if you have spilled something on it. Previously I've put a cream on over it, so didn't notice but this time I didn't apply a cream, as I wasn't going out. It did make some of the creams I used feel 'bitty', but I wasn't sure where the blame lay. Now I know.
    It was a bit like having a wash in sugary coffee, not that I've done that, but you get my drift.

I won some toiletries in the raffle at my live music club last night..! A lovely hatbox-style box, with some fairly generic stuff in. It's still by the back door in a Kevin The Carrot folding bag where I dumped it after battling the elements back indoors.
    No idea of the brand, and my arthritis is a bit ouchy tonight, I'm not going to move to check it, either!
    So an NBI of some generic lotion and shower gel. I gave the bubble bath and soap to the couple I sit with.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Welcome to new joiners.

I have 2 UUs/TAs

Vitamin E Overnight Serum-In-oil by The Body I've had this for a long time and I enjoyed it when first purchased. There was a little bit left in the bottle so I just TA as I have few serums on the go at the moment. WMBA.

Max Factor Sheer Lip Balm I think this was Lipfinity but the letters on the packaging have been erased so unsure. I did like it and used it a lot but the ball at the bottom of the product came off so I decided it was time to TA.
    ally.
  • sbirks23
    sbirks23 Posts: 698 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 January 2018 at 11:41PM
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Lovely to see new faces, welcome:D

sbirks23 - I too am a butterfly and find now the best for me is to have a choice of things to use, work through them and then start again. e.g. I have a quick initial cleanser, wipe and/or micellar, a cream cleanser, a cleansing oil, perhaps a balm too. I always do a double cleanse anyway so need at least two on the go and like to take the worst of the make up off before I get to the flannel stage.

Skin can be sensitive, so often have 2 toners, 2 serums to choose from if it is acting up. Trying to be more disciplined with body products and have less bottles cluttering up the shower (and making it easier to clean).

Thanks maddiemay.. butterfly sounds so much nicer! I like the idea of only having 2-3 out in use at a time so I’m more likely to get through them, rather than continuously flitting across 8-9 or even 10 of some things. Will stop it seeming never-ending and make decision as to which to use a lot quicker!

No used up’s today but I did give my two best friends a 5-stage facial this evening so am making progress! :T
    GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! If helpful please thank me Won 5* holiday,£100,gym,BAFTA vip,£75,tan,soundbar,signed cookbook,tix,duplo,facewash,Bodyshop,Lindt,Prevage,Everiche,disney,dvd,supplements,perfume,Topshop makeup + other prizes :)
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Welcome corgimum & dawn.

Dawn you have lots of lovely things to use there, I have way more of some things than you and less than others, my problem areas are makeup generally and then shower gel, body lotion and perfume. I think it stems from only being allowed one bath a week as a child and that was in fairy liquid then playing outside all week and knowing I was smelly, even as a teenager I wasn't allowed to bath or shower more and had to do everything at the kitchen sink. I left home at 19:(
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • sbirks23
    Just seen this which some of you may be interested in. Debunking product claims & the psychology behind what makes us buy so we know what to look out for 🙈 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09m2l58
    The Truth About Looking Good, BBC1 8pm Wednesday
    GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! If helpful please thank me Won 5* holiday,£100,gym,BAFTA vip,£75,tan,soundbar,signed cookbook,tix,duplo,facewash,Bodyshop,Lindt,Prevage,Everiche,disney,dvd,supplements,perfume,Topshop makeup + other prizes :)
  • How did I end last year with more in my stash than previous years?!? I think it's because of the beauty advent calendar, I've got lots of products but most of them are small so I keep them for travel instead of using them, and then never go anywhere! I've got this years advent calendar stash to add to my haul too(as well as a few xmas pressies) ...ooops!

Well I'm going away for a week this month, and probably 2 in April so I should be able to make a good dent on travel size products then. And I'm also going to make an effort to use the rest up, no matter how small and cute they are!
    No more goo hoarding!

2018 UU: 9 IN: 1 TA: 0 Total: 58/67
    2017 UU: 50 IN: 16 TA: 2 Total: 42/78 2016 UU: 53 IN: 17 TA: 0 Total: 36/72
    2015 UU: 74 IN: 43 TA: 3 Total: 32/64
    2014 UU: 114 IN: 67 TA: 7 Total: 38/92
  • UU
    CoLab Dry Shampoo exotic fragrance 200ml
    Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream concentrated 15ml
    The Body Shop Lip Scrub - very old

TA
    Calvin Klein clear Lipgloss - very old
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    How did I end last year with more in my stash than previous years?!? I think it's because of the beauty advent calendar, I've got lots of products but most of them are small so I keep them for travel instead of using them, and then never go anywhere! I've got this years advent calendar stash to add to my haul too(as well as a few xmas pressies) ...ooops!

Well I'm going away for a week this month, and probably 2 in April so I should be able to make a good dent on travel size products then. And I'm also going to make an effort to use the rest up, no matter how small and cute they are!

Similar thing happened to me through gifts and gwp, kept them for going away and then started having problems with allergies/sensitivity so didn't take them away, but decanted the things that I used every day and I knew were safe:( Gradually I have incorporated them into my daily routines and got them UU, I don't think my skin really likes dealing with too many new products at a time. I still have quite a few to get through this year though:(
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • sbirks23
    How did I end last year with more in my stash than previous years?!? I think it's because of the beauty advent calendar, I've got lots of products but most of them are small so I keep them for travel instead of using them, and then never go anywhere! I've got this years advent calendar stash to add to my haul too(as well as a few xmas pressies) ...ooops!

This is exactly what I was doing for years pirateyqueen and how I ended up with bags full of mini’s and sachets. I decided to bring them all back into rotation of normal use, mainly to have the motivating moment of finally finishing something!! 😂
  • kadison
    kadison Posts: 3,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    My first update with quite a few UUs:-

UU
    Avon ANEW Clinical E-Defence Multi-Shield SPF50 Lotion 30ml - WDBA, have 2 in stash so have another one already opened!
    Dentyl Mouthwash 500ml - Smooth Mint - HG mouthwash, the only one I can use and also like!
    Lancôme Crème Mousse-Confort 125ml - very nice, WBA but very difficult to get out of the tube, not as bad a Gel Eclat mind you, I actually cannot get that out of the tube and have to cut them open and decant into pots!
    Lancôme Eau Micellaire Douceur 400ml - HG cleansing water
    Lancôme Hydra Zen Day Cream 15ml - more of these in stash, I never buy these as the SPF isn't high enough but get them as part of GWP and use at night.
    L'Occitane Iris Blue & Iris Blanc Shower Gel 250ml - nice enough, WBA at the same 50% off price but it's discontinued
    Nivea Cleansing wipes x 25 - Normal Skin - Did the job!
    Philip Kingsley Daily Damage Defence 60ml - mostly UU, partly TA due to being open too long, did the job but there are others I prefer more that are cheaper.

Avon ANEW Reversalist Wrinkle Smoother - WNBA, tried it as an alternative to my clarins primer but it beaded on my skin, half UU, half TA because I hated it!
    Avon CC Cream - Nude - love this and already have another one on the go.
    Avon True Colour Glow Bronzing Pearls - Medium Tan - lovely colour but the pearls kept sticking in my brush or jumping out of the pot so WBA but only on a really good offer.
    Lancôme Hypnose Mascara 2ml - WDBA, this size was with GWP but I love their mascaras and have yet to find a bad one!
    L'Oreal True Match Powder N4 Beige - HG powder
    No7 Shimmer Palette - Rose - this was mostly UU i.e. had stopped giving much colour when I smashed it :(:(:(

GA
    L'Occitane Aguape Conditioner 300ml - did nothing for my hair but I don't mind since it was from the £1 shop online!
    Primark Rainbow Highlighter - I'm too old for this trend :o
    dolly84 wrote: »
    Welcome corgimum & dawn.

Dawn you have lots of lovely things to use there, I have way more of some things than you and less than others, my problem areas are makeup generally and then shower gel, body lotion and perfume. I think it stems from only being allowed one bath a week as a child and that was in fairy liquid then playing outside all week and knowing I was smelly, even as a teenager I wasn't allowed to bath or shower more and had to do everything at the kitchen sink. I left home at 19:(

Dolly that sounds horrific, you poor thing!

My dad smelt awful due to not washing and being a farmer, he had no idea of personal hygiene and would wear the same pants for a week :eek::eek::eek:, I was always so embarrassed and hated the idea I might smell, I think my love of nice smelling things came partly from that and partly from my mum, who was also a beauty hoarder.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2023
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills