PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• CattyCatX wrote: »
    So, I had a massive disaster with my friend visiting money-wise. I did mention that things were tight at the moment but my friend didn't like any of the food I had in the freezer or drinks I had in the fridge or any of the sauces I had prepared so I had to buy new stuff and he insisted on eating out for almost every meal and we went halves on everything. Of course I don't mind paying my share at all but it would've been nice if he'd offered to pay for one meal out for both of us or something as a thank you for putting him up for 7 nights, I think? Maybe I'm being unreasonable... Anyway, he's got expensive tastes (and a very high-paying job in the city so he doesn't really understand 'budgets') so almost 2.5 weeks' budget was used up in 7 days, meaning that I've less than £90 for the rest of the month now...
    :( At least I still have a week's worth of dinner in the freezer. Might be replacing lunches with porridge from now on though... Sigh. Hopefully November will be easier to budget for. I've started handmaking Christmas presents already so hopefully that will vastly reduce gift spending.

How ungrateful of your friend! If my friend had offered to put me up and I happened not to like the food in, I'd certainly not make a fuss and I'd certainly wouldn't expect them to buy new food just for me! If I really didn't like it and couldn't eat it I'd just say I'll treat us and buy a few bits/treat them to a takeaway!
    New House... New Mortgage! February 2017: £144,000 :eek:
    Current Mortgage Balance: £96,440.99
    2017 OP's:£5,935 2018 OP's: £11,956.00 2019 OP's: £11,988 2020 OP's: £1,998
    Total Debt[STRIKE] £29,209[/STRIKE] £0 :j:j:j Debt free 6/8/16
  • £10.85 spend for me today - that's topping up on vegan milk and yoghurt for the next fortnight. Veg box (already accounted for in spends) also turned up this morning, so have the basics for the week. I was lazy and didn't meal plan before the veg box turned up though, so didn't order any of the additional extras I need and that means I'll probably need another supermarket spend. But the £200 budget for the month is still very achievable, just need to be organised!
  • Had a £7 off £50 shop tonight so carefully planned a £51 shop... ended up at £59 near enough, so have paid £51.89.

That takes my total up to £78.10/£100 and gives me just under £22 for the rest of the month... oops. Have stocked up on a lot of toiletries and store food etc though so at least there's that.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    my friend didn't like any of the food I had in the freezer or drinks I had in the fridge or any of the sauces I had prepared so I had to buy new stuff and he insisted on eating out for almost every meal
    CattyCatx......IF your friend visits again ask what he does like so you can cater for him, and I think he was incredibly rude as well.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • CattyCatX
    CattyCatX Posts: 76 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2017 at 7:52PM
    pamsdish wrote: »
    my friend didn't like any of the food I had in the freezer or drinks I had in the fridge or any of the sauces I had prepared so I had to buy new stuff and he insisted on eating out for almost every meal
    CattyCatx......IF your friend visits again ask what he does like so you can cater for him, and I think he was incredibly rude as well.
    Thanks pamdish! I did ask what he wanted before he arrived but I just got a "I'm easy; I'll eat anything" answer, which didn't help!! I tried to press him but he just insisted that he'd eat whatever... and then when it came to it that obviously wasn't the case :( It's really frustrating as I really felt I'd done my best seeing as he wouldn't give me a straight answer (although he did tell me his favourite tea, which I bought in specially as neither me nor my OH drinks it). Obviously if he was gluten-free/vegan or something I would have catered to that too but he isn't. I know I can be a bit of a picky eater myself hence asking him in advance...
  • CattyCatX wrote: »
    So, I had a massive disaster with my friend visiting money-wise. I did mention that things were tight at the moment but my friend didn't like any of the food I had in the freezer or drinks I had in the fridge or any of the sauces I had prepared so I had to buy new stuff and he insisted on eating out for almost every meal and we went halves on everything. Of course I don't mind paying my share at all but it would've been nice if he'd offered to pay for one meal out for both of us or something as a thank you for putting him up for 7 nights, I think? Maybe I'm being unreasonable... Anyway, he's got expensive tastes (and a very high-paying job in the city so he doesn't really understand 'budgets') so almost 2.5 weeks' budget was used up in 7 days, meaning that I've less than £90 for the rest of the month now...
    :( At least I still have a week's worth of dinner in the freezer. Might be replacing lunches with porridge from now on though... Sigh. Hopefully November will be easier to budget for. I've started handmaking Christmas presents already so hopefully that will vastly reduce gift spending.

Sorry to say this but your friend sounds like a complete moron. He didn't like ANYTHING from your freezer or fridge? Who is he? The Queen of England? I personally would have still eaten something especially if my friend made all of it herself. Out of respect :beer:

I've spend 43,93 € today and I'm feeling ok-ish about it. :( I had coupons for 10 % off food items and was happy with it. So I went along, put them on the items I wanted and than the cashier lady told me that it's not for that store but for the one (and only that one) in another city. :mad: Are you serious? it's the same freaking store, 5 kms away and I can't use these stamps / coupons? They did write in on the flyer but very small and easy to oversee. :mad: I should have looked twice and saved more money....
    books read 2020: 29 / 100
    Weight loss journey: 1,5 KG / 9 KG

english is not my first language, sorry for any misspellings :o
  • Sorry for your week, Catty - agree with everyone else, your friend was very rude!

Over here, I hope I have enough in to last me through to next Saturday except for a couple of top ups. I'm at $474/1100 and Mr E isn't back until Wednesday next week. We have lots of food in, and I've made a start on things for next week's lunch boxes once school's back.

Meal plan until Wednesday is designed with the kids in mind:
    Friday: minestrone (with chicken: it's a repurposing of some leftover chicken cacciatore) and HM bread
    Saturday: oven pizza, garlic bread, ice cream (traditional movie night treat because their Dad is away)
    Sunday: roast pork
    Monday: pasties made with leftover roast pork (plus a few little ones I can send to school next week)
    Tuesday: Penne puttanesca
    Wednesday: Cuban pork with black beans and rice
    Thursday: Spaghetti bolognese/lentil soup for me
    Friday: Quiche with whatever we have left
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    £31 today so total so far £138/£200
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Makes the new total = £90.48 on food/drink + £7.60 for 'Social' stuff.

Had to go into work this morning so it threw me a bit out of whack. Ended up buying a £3 greggs meal deal - only thing I could find cheap in town that was relatively healthy - ham and egg salad roll and a bottle of apple juice.

The plan is finished for this week. Now I just need to get my finger out and plan for next week. Never-ending :)

New total = £93.48 on food/drink + £7.60 for 'Social' stuff.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    £6 spent at the farm shop on a tray of 30 eggs and a big punnet of strawberries. The eggs have gone up a pound so will not go out of my way to get them there anymore.

£24.60 spent in Asda got everything on my list and a ys GF pie and some ys mini pork pies for DH and the lunch I am doing at my mums tomorrow.

I forgot to put crisps for tomorrow and a bottle of smart price sparkling water on the list as I am still going strong on Go Sober for October so will have to pick the up at some point.

Gave £2 to DH who wanted a fizzy drink as he is feeling very nauseous which is not like him at all, he has the constitution of an ox!
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills