Alternative to nhs pension?

Hi,
I am a doctor in A and E,have a pension in the 2008 scheme
Been contributing since 2009.People in general praise the NHS pension and would love to have it. But lately we doctors have been chatting about it and have some serious concerns.
1. Our contributions are just increasing and the benefits remain the same.
2. The pension age keeps getting pushed back, so we aren't sure when we will be able to enjoy the pension as our jobs are getting more stressful. .due to heavy under staffing etc.
I wonder if having a SIPP would be of help.
I wish to contribute around 80,000 to 100000 over the next decade.
Just wish to know about the platform and funds. .There are so many options.
How do you decide? Is an IFA needed? Or one just puts in money into funds like the vanguard lifestrategy 60?
Or a private pension is the way forward?
Some insight would be welcome. .
Dr James. .

Comments

• Whatever you do stay in the NHS pension scheme.

Options include AVCs within the NHS, SIPP and personal pension.

While an IFA is an option for advice, if you do your homework you should be able to DIY without incurring an advice fee.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,347 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    1. Our contributions are just increasing and the benefits remain the same.

Not unexpected given how beneficial the scheme is.
    2. The pension age keeps getting pushed back, so we aren't sure when we will be able to enjoy the pension as our jobs are getting more stressful. .due to heavy under staffing etc.

Welcome to the real world. Public sector retirement ages have been lower than private sector and people are living longer. You can still fund that gap if you want to go earlier though. You dont have to retire at scheme age.
    I wonder if having a SIPP would be of help.

For additional planning, its certainly an option. Not a replacement though. That would be crazy.
    How do you decide? Is an IFA needed? Or one just puts in money into funds like the vanguard lifestrategy 60?

An IFA is not needed. However, there is more to life than VLS60. Like any job, you either DIY or your pay someone to do it. Choice is yours.
    Or a private pension is the way forward?

private pension is a term used to cover any type of pension not offered via the employer. Its too generalistic to mean anything.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As you are a newbie I am going to apologise before I start. I do appreciate that the intelligence required to be a doctor is not the same as that required to be for example a financial advisor. Please read a few news stories about older doctors than yourself retiring early because the amount of pension they have has become a problem. Then come back & realise that a lot of us that have worked all their lives without having access to a pension even remotely as good as yours would (metaphorically obviously) kill for a pension like yours.

However, a SIPP set up AS WELL as the pension you already have, could assist you to retire at say 57 without impacting your NHS pension.

However (and this is very bad advice) as a taxpayer I would be truly grateful if you & your colleagues decided to come out of your pension scheme as it would save me a fortune.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 October 2017 at 7:13AM
    Hi DocJames,

I too am in the NHS Scheme - 1995 version- it really is one of the best available. I have spent considerable time doing my own research into pensions and saving for my retirement which will be in the next 1-6 years as I can take my nhs pension next year. I'd suggest that you have a read of a few of the threads and a look at a few other sites.

You have to make sure that you don't/ won't get caught by the Life Time Allowance (LTA) to approximate how much you'll be near it you can work an approximation out by calculating your pension as follows-(Figures are for example only)

Salary- 50k
    Expected Pension- 25k (50% of salary with full years in)
    Tax Free Lump Sum- 75k (3x annual pension)
    LTA= 20x annual pension- 500k + TFLS 75K= 575k

Therefore you could save up to another 425k in a SIPP but would have you sailing very close to the LTA.

The advantage of having a SIPP as well as NHS Pension is the option to take this 10 years before the state pension and NHS Pension age.

The main advantages to staying in the NHS Pension are a) the pension is both linked to your earnings- the more your annual salary the greater your pension and it is index linked, b) death in service benefits- twice your annual income as a tax free lump sum to your nominated person or spouse followed by a survivor pension of half that which you would of expected to receive, c) ill health pension should you need to retire before pensionable age.

You could invest in other areas to build a lump sum to enable you to retire at an earlier age than is forecast at present using ISAs etc.

Whatever you do don't give up something that is in fact worth hundreds of thousands of pounds for 9% of your salary! And is fully guaranteed so not at risk if the stock market nose dives just as you plan to use it!

I don't work in A&E but my sister in law does-I do admire your skills and dedication and know from experience how frustrating some of the things we NHS staff have to do! My wife works in the private (health) sector it really isn't much better, different **** but still lots of it!

CRV
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    How old are you?
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • I am 41. I took a break after med school to work in the middle East and joined the nhs again.
  • caronoel
    caronoel Posts: 908 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    badmemory wrote: »
    ...as a taxpayer I would be truly grateful if you & your colleagues decided to come out of your pension scheme as it would save me a fortune.

+1

Those of us in the real world would love a generous state guaranteed final salary pension, paid for by the rest of us.
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Docjames wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am a doctor in A and E,have a pension in the 2008 scheme
    Been contributing since 2009.People in general praise the NHS pension and would love to have it. But lately we doctors have been chatting about it and have some serious concerns.
    1. Our contributions are just increasing and the benefits remain the same..

In spite of raising contribution rate and retirement age, it is still light years ahead of the most pension schemes in the country. Generally speaking, the annual report for 16/17 say that the standard contribution rate is 34.3% of your salary. The average contribution rate paid by NHS employees is 9.5%. So the cost for the NHS employees are still extremely cheap, especially with Ill Health Retirement, purchasing of Additional Pension, Lump sum on Death and pensions for OH and so on.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,804 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    victordent wrote: »
    I am 41. I took a break after med school to work in the middle East and joined the nhs again.

I aassume stoozie1's question was directed at the OP - unless you've changed username you are not he/she.
  • Docjames
    Docjames Posts: 13 Forumite
    I appreciate the benefits of the pension. The main issueI have which most of my colleagues agree on is that the pension age which was 60, then 65 and now 68..At this rate it will be pushed to 75 as HMG keeps changing the goalposts. .
    That's a concern. .
    James
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family