Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Itbw4
    • By Itbw4 11th Sep 18, 6:05 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Itbw4
    Morrisons More Points Theft
    • 11th Sep 18, 6:05 PM
    Morrisons More Points Theft 11th Sep 18 at 6:05 PM
    First time posting so apologies if I break any protocols...

This is mainly a warning to any users of the Morrisons More scheme.

The background is that I'm a frequent shopper and as such accumulate a fair few points. Instead of receiving the £5 voucher as soon as I hit the 5000 points I have my preferences set to save the vouchers until I request them. I do this as a way of taking care of the big Christmas shop.

Anyway I visited my usual store and noticed my points balance had dropped from 30k+ to roughly 400. I have been in touch with Morrisons and they advise me that the option to release the vouchers was actioned on 06/09/18 on my online account. The same day the vouchers were successfully printed using 'my card' in a store 80 miles from my home address (a store and town I've never been to!) to top things off the vouchers were cashed in later that same day.

Firstly I know that I didn't action the vouchers, nor did I visit the store in question. I've received mixed responses from Morrisons. First being non belief and the second being belief but with a hint of doubt.

Secondly I still have the physical card, it's usually scanned rather than swiped so any scammer could easily duplicate it at a self scan terminal. I can also prove that I wasn't at the store and have told Morrisons to check their CCTV!

They're currently investigating how it happened, but I'm without £30 worth of vouchers and with a potentially compromised card, let alone my personal details from their site. Coincidentally they sent me an email today encouraging me to change my password due to recent security breaches!

If you use the scheme in the same way that I do please check your points balance and/or change your account password!
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Sep 18, 6:39 PM
    • 35,099 Posts
    • 22,177 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 11th Sep 18, 6:39 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 6:39 PM
    I received the same email address, the email did say about changing passwords but the breach wasn't at Morrisons but BA.
    • Itbw4
    • By Itbw4 11th Sep 18, 6:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Itbw4
    • 11th Sep 18, 6:47 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 6:47 PM
    Yep, the same as I received. I can almost imagine a scenario where my card could be cloned at the till by a rouge staff member, but they'd have to get into my account to release the vouchers...

Admittedly it's too soon to say for sure what's happened. But if it helps someone else I wanted to get the info out there.

I don't believe that I have a BA account, only flew on them twice, years ago and booked via an agent.
    • Bacman
    • By Bacman 11th Sep 18, 7:39 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Bacman
    • 11th Sep 18, 7:39 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 7:39 PM
    A couple of years back I used Morrisons store and got their points and spent them, then accumulated some more points (a few thousand) however didn't go back to the store for some months - when I went back it transpired as I hadn't been using the card for a fair while they deleted the card I used and removed all the points!

I was not impressed. That is also theft on their part, especially as they never even wrote to me or emailed me before they did this.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 13th Sep 18, 12:10 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    alanq
    • 13th Sep 18, 12:10 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 12:10 PM
    however didn't go back to the store for some months - when I went back it transpired as I hadn't been using the card for a fair while they deleted the card I used and removed all the points!
    Originally posted by Bacman

Was it > 12 months? If so this is permitted by the terms of the scheme. See 1.16. Could any email they sent you have been caught by a spam filter?

https://my.morrisons.com/more/terms-and-conditions.html
    Last edited by alanq; 13-09-2018 at 12:14 PM.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 23rd Sep 18, 11:39 AM
    • 2,892 Posts
    • 2,149 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 23rd Sep 18, 11:39 AM
    • 23rd Sep 18, 11:39 AM
    OP - do you have the account details on your iPhone? Could be that's where the weakest link is. Or, at home are you on a wifi - could that be picked up elsewhere?

Tesco had a similar problem some years back, perhaps morrisons should talk to them!!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • Solusmor
    • By Solusmor 16th Oct 18, 6:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Solusmor
    • 16th Oct 18, 6:49 PM
    • 16th Oct 18, 6:49 PM
    Same thing has happened to me, 50,000 points went missing and I contacted Morrisons More who contacted me by email the next day saying, sorry am error has occurred and that they had replaced the missing points. I didn’t feel that they were safe though and had intended taking them out next visit but my husband who is very ill was taken into hospital before I could. My next visit to the store the cashier handed me 2 x £5 tokens I asked why the tokens as I usually save them until Christmas and she said I only had 3,000 points left out of 63,000. I have once more contacted Morrisons More but apart from getting an email today with a ref number I don’t know what’s happening as of yet.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 19th Oct 18, 9:11 PM
    • 2,892 Posts
    • 2,149 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 19th Oct 18, 9:11 PM
    • 19th Oct 18, 9:11 PM
    I just keep a pile of vouchers - Tesco & Morrisons, and use when about to expire. Probably got between 10 - 15 Morrisons ones. On Thursday had another invite to spend £40.00 on a shop UTI Sunday to get 4,000 points.

I've got to make sure I don't lose my Nectar card - about £72.00 on it.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 22nd Oct 18, 7:35 PM
    • 35,099 Posts
    • 22,177 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 22nd Oct 18, 7:35 PM
    • 22nd Oct 18, 7:35 PM
    Same thing has happened to me, 50,000 points went missing and I contacted Morrisons More who contacted me by email the next day saying, sorry am error has occurred and that they had replaced the missing points. I didnít feel that they were safe though and had intended taking them out next visit but my husband who is very ill was taken into hospital before I could. My next visit to the store the cashier handed me 2 x £5 tokens I asked why the tokens as I usually save them until Christmas and she said I only had 3,000 points left out of 63,000. I have once more contacted Morrisons More but apart from getting an email today with a ref number I donít know whatís happening as of yet.
    Originally posted by Solusmor
    Why Morrisons More, thars the name of the card, you contacted Morrisons.
    • Sammyconz
    • By Sammyconz 11th Nov 18, 6:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sammyconz
    This happened to me today
    This same thing happened to me, I noticed my balance had gone down on Friday so I called them and they refunded the points I called them again today as I had a email saying to change my password 3 times so I called them today to see if it was them sending the email. She confirmed it was one of her colleges and then said that my cars was used in a London store on the 7th Nov to receive the vouchers then went to another store brought Something for £17 and paid for with £15 of my vouchers. All the while I'm back here in bristol nearly 100 miles away from London. Well I changed my password using the link sent by her college and checking my preferences still set to save my points. Well I've just checked my app and my points have been printed off again!! Yes I'm sit sat on my sofa and the helpline is closed to speak to anybody. I can't understand how they have been printed off as my settings are still set to save them!!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Nov 18, 7:39 PM
    • 35,099 Posts
    • 22,177 Thanks
    DCFC79
    This same thing happened to me, I noticed my balance had gone down on Friday so I called them and they refunded the points I called them again today as I had a email saying to change my password 3 times so I called them today to see if it was them sending the email. She confirmed it was one of her colleges and then said that my cars was used in a London store on the 7th Nov to receive the vouchers then went to another store brought Something for £17 and paid for with £15 of my vouchers. All the while I'm back here in bristol nearly 100 miles away from London. Well I changed my password using the link sent by her college and checking my preferences still set to save my points. Well I've just checked my app and my points have been printed off again!! Yes I'm sit sat on my sofa and the helpline is closed to speak to anybody. I can't understand how they have been printed off as my settings are still set to save them!!
    Originally posted by Sammyconz

Id be concerned how they are managing to print the vouchers off.
    • MrsScrooge
    • By MrsScrooge 12th Nov 18, 10:42 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MrsScrooge
    and happened to me too
    Went shopping on Saturday, checked points balance and found it drastically reduced. Checked transaction history and found that I had apparently had a £35 voucher on 6 November which was my previous visit to the store. I have neither requested or received any vouchers (I wait until I have £50 worth before cashing them in).

Anyway tried calling Morrisons a couple of times this morning but as experienced by the previous poster customer services appear not to be open, so have sent an email.

Now waiting to see what happens.

Do we think Morrisons has had another data hack and customer services canít cope with the call volume?
    Last edited by MrsScrooge; 12-11-2018 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Add title
    • dcirulis
    • By dcirulis 13th Nov 18, 3:37 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    dcirulis
    more points missing
    I noticed on friday last week 40000 points missing from my account. My settings on account had apparently ben changed from save vouchers to issue vouchers and £40-00 worth redeemed in october. Spoke with customer services and they promised a call back. NOTHING!!!. Looks like they have had a serious data breach I think this needs pointing out to the press. Also on saturday had 2 emails saying I had requested password reset????? I have now contacted The sun Newspaper hopefully they will find out whats going on ?
    Last edited by dcirulis; 13-11-2018 at 7:11 AM. Reason: addendum
    • JuC
    • By JuC 13th Nov 18, 8:52 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    JuC
    Rather than contacting a newspaper, I think you / they should be reporting it to the ICO. If someone is accessing your account, there is a breach of personal data.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/personal-data-breaches/
    • dcirulis
    • By dcirulis 13th Nov 18, 3:14 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    dcirulis
    apparantly my vouchers were issued in Paignton Devon and spent later in the day. When te lady from Morrisons called me today and realised I lived in Kent she could not get me off the phone quick enough saying she would investigate further and call me back..... That was at 11.50am its now 4-15pm and no call
    • Manpossessed89
    • By Manpossessed89 13th Nov 18, 5:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Manpossessed89
    Us too
    We normally do our shopping online for delivery with Morrisons. My wife noticed a few months ago that this exact thing had happened, got in touch with Morrisons and they were great and replaced the points. Today my wife checked and 60000 points had gone, same thing, a store near Birmingham which we had never visited.
    It 1st happened around the time the app was released just wondering if it could be linked.
    They somehow changed the name on the account so have obviously had access somehow, despite changing the password 1st time it happened. Serious breach somewhere imo.
    Will be contacting the icon.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 14th Nov 18, 10:57 AM
    • 2,892 Posts
    • 2,149 Thanks
    no1catman
    TWell I've just checked my app and my points have been printed off again!! Yes I'm sit sat on my sofa and the helpline is closed to speak to anybody. I can't understand how they have been printed off as my settings are still set to save them!!
    Originally posted by Sammyconz
    My guess there is your mobile phone has been compromised. Either it has a virus of some kind, or where you are when you've been amending details has left it open to hacking. The distance involved with where the 'vouchers' are being used would imply the former. Maybe you've opened a 'dodgy' link that you thought was from Morrisons but wasn't. Get it checked ASAP.
    • MrsScrooge
    • By MrsScrooge 19th Nov 18, 9:17 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MrsScrooge
    Update from Mrs Scrooge
    Went shopping on Saturday, checked points balance and found it drastically reduced. Checked transaction history and found that I had apparently had a £35 voucher on 6 November which was my previous visit to the store. I have neither requested or received any vouchers (I wait until I have £50 worth before cashing them in).

Anyway tried calling Morrisons a couple of times this morning but as experienced by the previous poster customer services appear not to be open, so have sent an email.

Now waiting to see what happens.

Do we think Morrisons has had another data hack and customer services canít cope with the call volume?
    Originally posted by MrsScrooge

Well got response to email the next day saying would refund the 35000 points ........ didnít happen. Emailed again and they added 2000 points ...... emailed again re where are my 35000 points .... no response at all.

Phoned them this morning and spoke to a very helpful person who checked and found that the £35 voucher showing on my transaction record had actually never been printed out let alone used. He said he had set it up so I will get the vouchers on my next shop so I am hopeful this is now going to happen.
    • shylockinadress
    • By shylockinadress 4th Dec 18, 8:34 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    shylockinadress
    Two weeks wait and still no voucher.
    7 tweets, 3 emails and 1 'phone call= no result.
    Will persist and maybe one day the voucher will materialise!
    • ellasmommy
    • By ellasmommy 5th Dec 18, 9:53 AM
    • 2,465 Posts
    • 209,497 Thanks
    ellasmommy
    This is also happening with the Nectar card. Keep an eye on your points!
    Win £2019 in 2019 - DONE! - £3126 so far!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

114Posts Today

2,218Users online

Martin's Twitter