Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Any reason why Kalixa Pay is not included?
  • Hi Guys.

I've read a few of the threads on this & aside from people arguing with each other, I'm not really any better off for reading them.

All I would like to know is whether, from my research, I'm correct in thinking that if I'm going to Europe, the best pre-paid card is likely to be the FairFX Euro card but that I should try to use this for normal spending, unless I'm using my Halifax Clarity card, & that if I want to spend in cash, I should take some with me, rather than withdrawing it from an ATM, regardless of whether I do this via the credit card (pretty much a no-no), or via the pre-paid card (a much cheaper option)?

I hope you can help.
  • NiftyDigits
    dan5001 wrote: »
    Hi Guys.

I've read a few of the threads on this & aside from people arguing with each other, I'm not really any better off for reading them.

All I would like to know is whether, from my research, I'm correct in thinking that if I'm going to Europe, the best pre-paid card is likely to be the FairFX Euro card but that I should try to use this for normal spending, unless I'm using my Halifax Clarity card, & that if I want to spend in cash, I should take some with me, rather than withdrawing it from an ATM, regardless of whether I do this via the credit card (pretty much a no-no), or via the pre-paid card (a much cheaper option)?

I hope you can help.

Clarity for both ATM withdrawals and spending. Clear balance asap.
    Take a Kalixa Pay Prepaid card as back up. Asking here for a referral may net you a £5 rebate.
    If you live in London, get a Metro Bank debit card on the spot and use instead of the Prepaid card and the Clarity for ATM withdrawals.
  • leedspete_2
    leedspete_2 Posts: 163
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Which is the best prepaid card to use abroad please
  • NiftyDigits
    leedspete wrote: »
    Which is the best prepaid card to use abroad please

Kalixa Pay....
  • BigBoss
    BigBoss Posts: 170
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Metro Bank debit card vs Kalixa Prepaid?

If I open a Metro Bank account tomorrow, can I put money into it online?

Going on a few trips (Barca, Croatia and Ibiza) in next couple of months, so I don't want any hassle and visits to the bank etc, I just want a quick online transaction.
  • NiftyDigits
    BigBoss wrote: »
    Metro Bank debit card vs Kalixa Prepaid?

If I open a Metro Bank account tomorrow, can I put money into it online?

Going on a few trips (Barca, Croatia and Ibiza) in next couple of months, so I don't want any hassle and visits to the bank etc, I just want a quick online transaction.

Metro Bank debit/credit, without question. Trouble free. You can manage everything online. No reason to visit again once the account is opened.
  • BigBoss
    BigBoss Posts: 170
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So I can transfer money from my Co-op bank Cashminder to Metro?
  • NiftyDigits
    BigBoss wrote: »
    So I can transfer money from my Co-op bank Cashminder to Metro?

Yes...but if you can only qualify for a Cash Minder account, have you ascertained that Metro Bank will give you a Current account?
  • I'm going on a cruise, starting in Germany (euros) and visiting towns in Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia. I guess they are all different currencies. If I put money on a FAIRFX card
    (1) is it easy to use everywhere? and
    (2) can I use it for small amounts like postcards, cup of coffee, etc?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback