Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,319Posts
    • 13,926Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 6:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 6:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £705 (so far - as at 16/06/19)
Page 26
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 14th Sep 19, 2:54 PM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 18,081 Thanks
    nic2075
    Went in Savers earlier, which is HB under a different label and they have a different new Christmas candle, Spiced Plum, smells good pre-lit! Always get a few Gingerbread ones, as apart from Yankee, they smell and last the best.
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    I got the frosted sugar plum one from HB this week. I love it. I always get the gingerbread one for December. But the frosted plum one is a close second now.
    • PinkUnicorn8
    • By PinkUnicorn8 15th Sep 19, 11:39 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    PinkUnicorn8
    Hello lovelies, just popped in from work to say I bought three gift boxes of Christmas teas from amazon for total 6.79 delivered, they are beautiful, three gift boxes with four different Christmas teas in prisms, very festive, will be gorgeous gifts xx Won't let me post link, just search English Tea Shop Organic White Christmas Prism.
    there's Sleigh Ride and Gingerbread Man plus two other Christmassy ones x
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 16th Sep 19, 11:03 AM
    • 938 Posts
    • 12,662 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Iím excited as Iíve just booked our visit to see Father Christmas, Iíve heard rave reviews about where weíre going Ė the elves play games, Father Christmas comes down a chimney and tells a Christmas story in Mrs Clausís living room as well as getting a gift. Apparently the Father Christmas looks like the real deal too so Iím very excited to go! Peppa, itís at The Olde Watermill in Barton if you know it? I havenít managed to get any further with my shopping yet, I did pop to the shops this morning but there wasnít really anything around.

Hello and welcome angel and Sancti! Congratulations Sancti on expecting your first baby.

Welcome back Veronica! I always make and freeze bread sauce and Yorkies ahead, I make stuffing a few days before and I cook the turkey Christmas eve.

Humptydumpty itís nice to have that memory of you dad buying you a winning ticket. Boots always do Nandoís sauces and gift sets etc that you could put with a gift card?

LMG I love the old chocolate tins. We always get a big tub of Heroes as my DH is really fussy with chocolate but I do always like to have some Roses or Quality Street as itís what we always had growing up.

freespirit good to hear from you! Wow Thumper is at school, time does come round! Glad to hear all is going well so far, I hope this continues. Sorry to hear youíre not feeling right, I hope the blood tests can shed some light on it and you can get some help.

mandco thanks for the scratchcard heads up I always buy quite a few of those to pop into familyís cards.
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 16th Sep 19, 12:40 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    LMG1305
    mandco Thanks for the heads up on scratchcards, I'll see if I can grab one each for the people I buy for.
    murie I love the pumpkin candles. If you have a TK Maxx or Home Sense close by, they have loads of pumpkin scented candles at the moment.
    nic I bought one packet of matchmakers on friday as a weekend treat. My daughter spotted them & asked if she could open them, so I said she could but make sure they don't eat them all because I'd like some too. I left them all to it while I was cleaning, went into the kitchen a little later & they've left me a very generous 3 sticks! Between my 2 daughters and one of their friends they'd eaten the whole packet. I was gutted.
    vintage I know what you mean about Amazon. I do tend to fall back on them quite a lot as they are convenient, but we should all try to do our bit for the small high street shops & small companies who are just trying to make some money to pay their bills.
    barny Plum candles smell delicious don't they! I had a plum one from Home Sense last year & loved it. Another favorite of mine is Yankee Candle's Black Cherry.
    PinkUnicorn Those tea gift boxes sound lovely. I don't drink tea myself but they sound like they would make a great gift for my stepmum. I'll have a look, thank you.
    freespirit Time goes by so quickly doesn't it, I hope Thumper gets on ok at school. Sending best wishes to you for your blood tests.
    princesskitty That Father Christmas day sounds amazing. I'm gutted my girls are too old for all that now. They do still love Christmas & get proper into the festive spirit, but they are too old to visit Father Christmas now. I always get the Quality Street for the same reason, it reminds me of my Nan & Grampy's house at Christmas when I was younger. This tin is a proper old fashioned looking one, so I will keep the tin & just restock it every year with whatever chocolate I buy

I haven't done much in the way of Christmas prep because we are possibly moving at the end of this month/beginning of October. Just waiting on solicitors now for everything. Because of the potential move I don't want to buy too much and then have to move it & possibly lose it in amongst all our other boxes of rubbish stuff

I had a nice morning out with my sister on Saturday though & pretty much all we talked about was Christmas. She is also possibly moving soon & both of us at the same time started talking about where our trees will go in our new homes. We are so excited for Christmas & have some craft ideas for gifts this year too. I can't wait to get going with proper Christmas prep!
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 16th Sep 19, 6:41 PM
    • 4,723 Posts
    • 28,805 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Don't tell the kids but 100 more sleeps and it will be Christmas Day

I still have 8 left on my list to finish buying for and other half of course who is the hardest to buy for as have to do his birthday at end of November and Christmas.
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 17th Sep 19, 12:28 PM
    • 938 Posts
    • 12,662 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    I have just seen that Terryís chocolate oranges are now 75p at Tescoís Ė go go go!

LMG the chocolate tine remind me of my Granny and Grampyís too, I spent a lot of Christmasís at their house. Moving house always puts things on the back burner but itís exciting to plan decorations in the new house!
    • junior_j
    • By junior_j 17th Sep 19, 9:47 PM
    • 4,171 Posts
    • 19,459 Thanks
    junior_j
    Hello all I've had an absolutely crazy up and down few months. I was working a full and part time job. I've now turned the part time job into my full time job. My boss is incredible , made me a role and is so supportive of my illness , I am very blessed. My best friend got married and her reception was a very special event with just the bride and groom , her mum and dad and me and my mum. Beautiful day and I cried like a baby with pure happiness for them. I've had to many operations to count of the past few months, I've got a secondary condition and a brain surgeon who has few options left. I've really not done anything re Xmas .

I'm ready to start in full force now! Hope you're all good
    NanMias - cyber granddaughter!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 17th Sep 19, 10:48 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 17,683 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Welcome to all newbies, nothing like Christmas chatter to feed the soul

PRINCESSKITTY I do like to visit the Mill at Christmas though I must admit I havenít visited Father Christmas there, might be nice to take the GDSs if there are still spaces.

Welcome back JJ - good to see you posting again. It sounds like your year has been full on and itís lovely to see you havenít let anything dampen your spirit.

FREE sorry to hear youíre struggling health wise, is it the fybro? Sending you hugs and positive vibes. Good to hear that Thumper is settling into school, it must be a relief for DD and all of you.

Well Iíve started my Christmas shopping - bought some lovely bath stuff in the Gin and Fizz range at HB and made a really nice hamper for less than £10. Iíve got my present planner up and running now so starting to feel organised. Our girlie Christmas crafting session this year will be a Pom Pom reindeer wreath so Iím just waiting for DHís birthday voucher from Hobbycraft (I shop in his name as well as mine lol) then Iíll buy the wreath bases, mini red Pom Pom noses and brown pipe cleaners. Iíve already been buying cheap wool in different shades of brown to make the Pom poms.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 18th Sep 19, 8:43 AM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 22,818 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Whilst I've been saving for Christmas all year, I've not bought anything yet. Well, actually, that's a lie, I bought novelty socks for my step-brother in the January sales. It occurred to me this morning that it's almost October and it's about time I start putting some serious thought into it all and for the last few years, I've used this thread as inspiration/motivation. So, hello all!!

I saw that there's rumours of a Next sale this weekend but apart from that, is the next big sales event going to be Black Friday weekend? Perhaps I am best waiting till then to buy some stuff..
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • Haribo1980
    • By Haribo1980 18th Sep 19, 9:57 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Haribo1980
    Ive made a start. Bought my dds iphone while there was some money knocked off the price. Bought all the kids slippers and xmas eve pjs too from studio while there was an offer on dhs account. Glad ive made a proper start. Going to get all my kids shopping done by the end of Oct thrn i can concentrate on the kids in my family and the parents presents. That always stumps me as they already have everything they need.
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 18th Sep 19, 1:36 PM
    • 4,084 Posts
    • 18,216 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    God, I finally get to go on holidays & you lot decide to yakkity yak! Than means we must be on the home stretch.

I need to work out where I am on things, been a hectic few months and I now need to make another Christmas cake, sadly my uncle died a few weeks ago and my aunt asked if her cake could be used at the wake. There was tons of food, so unlikely that it was all going to be eaten, saw her last night for first time since funeral as I was going on holidays the day after, there wasn't a crumb left, a 10" square cake, gone! So I will need to replace it for her.

Busy for next couple of weekends, so probably won't be able to think about what I have bought or need to buy until 1st Oct, hopefully will be straightforward from then.
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 18th Sep 19, 5:49 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 2,886 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    I've made my first Christmas purchase! I spotted a Nails Inc deal included in last weeks MSE Newsletter. 9 nail polishes for £25. I've kept the silver one for myself, the two most neutral shades will go to my first sister, and the other six (including a very interesting shimmery gold/pink colour) will go to my second sister.

I've also started to look through Etsy and "Favourite" things I like for my Mum and sisters, including some handmade soaps and a few "Make your own.." kits.

Spotted some Disney "Grumpy" (the dwarf) slippers in Tesco reduced to £6. Wanted to get them for DH but he insisted that his current slippers are in perfect working order. I think he might be getting a bit grumpy with the Grumpy theme XD (I bought him a mug with him on in Disneyland Paris and then bought a second one in a charity shop).

Once I've got past the next pay day I'll sit down and actually start purchasing more things!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - £761.36 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

1,220Users online

Martin's Twitter