What system do you use to enter competitions?

Options
I have tried the same system for a while but not sure how good it is, I enter searching for the end date for the next day, so I feel like I am not missing out on competitions. Do you think this is a good system? Is anyone willing to share their system? Or what they think works best?
Thanks to all who post competitions!

August 2023 wins: Group ticket to RAF horrible histories exhibition, Magnum coupon worth £4.50, tickets to a concert in Birmingham, Builders and Renovations show tickets. Theory test app.

September Wins: Harry Potter Pencil Crayons, Box of vegan whoopie pies, 

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Maro1586 wrote: »
    I have tried the same system for a while but not sure how good it is, I enter searching for the end date for the next day, so I feel like I am not missing out on competitions. Do you think this is a good system? Is anyone willing to share their system? Or what they think works best?

Read the guide and you will see entering by end-date is not recommended

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1014121

apart from all the other reasons not to do it entering by end-date takes longer than entering as they are added (and/or book marking them for later).
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    From an old post
    If a competition is properly run it makes no difference when you enter.

When it comes down to the best way to enter it has to be enter early - stay away from end dating as the advantages are almost none and the risks of missing out are many -

Comp closes early (or just sometime before midnight on the final day)
    Comp website has problems (even worse if it's a weekend)
    MSE forum goes down
    Your broadband and or computer/laptop etc go down
    Real life events take out comping time

The only possible advantage to end dating that I can think of is that someone posted about poorly run twitter competitions being more likely to pick later entries.

By entering early the comps closing early are not a problem and there is more time to overcome all the other issues above.

(Early entry would be after the post has been up a little while so if there are any problems they will have been noticed - self-promo/spam sites/wrong answer etc unless you are happy to check things like that out yourself)

If you do daily comps where nothing changes then bookmark them direct so you don't need to go through the forum to enter (it's a way to go now but the same applies for most advents) cuts down entry time and it doesn't matter if mse goes off-line.

Another disadvantage to entering by end date are the large peaks in the number of competitions that close on Fridays and on the last day of a month (There will be a huge number of competitions ending on Fri 31st Jan). Entry closer to when they are added gives a more even number to enter and allows more time to deal with any peaks that might arise.

Also cut your cloth accordingly, if there are regularly too many for the time available then raise your standards and enter fewer. If it only happens occasionally then drag n drop the comps into a folder and enter when time permits - by having folder you don't need to go back through the board and just carry on from where you left off.

(There might be a psychological reason to enter by end-date as
    that way people do not have to wait as long to find out if they have won)
  • Maro1586
    Options
    This helped a lot
    Thanks to all who post competitions!

August 2023 wins: Group ticket to RAF horrible histories exhibition, Magnum coupon worth £4.50, tickets to a concert in Birmingham, Builders and Renovations show tickets. Theory test app.

September Wins: Harry Potter Pencil Crayons, Box of vegan whoopie pies, 
  • Marco69
    Options
    Thank you for the advice
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 September 2019 at 10:09AM
    Options
    There's a post here that talks about sorting the forum by date ... just in case you were physically searching for tomorrows date, this will list them all in date order so should make it a bit easier if that's the way you want to do it.
  • pj54
    Options
    @Maro1586 - I like your system and would tend to use something similar if I'm entering daily/regularly as in theory you shouldn't miss out on comps and the draw date being closer is a bonus. I haven't yet tried it here searching for next day's date.

@sleepyjones - can you reshare the link re sorting the comp posts by date? It currently links back to this same post. :rotfl:

If I'm being more sporadic or only entering once per week I just do a manual scan of comps that look most interesting (usually based on prize!).

I always use Chrome browser with the built in autofill feature and open about 20 tabs in a batch using the 'cmd+click' for each comp. Then I go through them and repeat for next 20 etc.
  • mclarkie
    mclarkie Posts: 11,661 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I book mark everything into three folders, currently labelled September October, and one called Ending later. It's kind of like end date comping but I'm able to work a few days ahead, so I would be doing the 18th today. this way I'm less likely to miss out on a comp expired early and I have a few days at the end of the month to complete the 30th sometimes 140 comps!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure