Money Moral Dilemma: Should my housemate pay me back for my veg he's eaten?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
He keeps taking vegetables I've bought that are about to go 'out of date', presumably as they'll be past their best before when I get to them. Even if technically 'out of date', I often don't mind eating them, yet they're gone. Should I ask him to stop or for money to buy new stuff?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Auntie-Dolly
    Auntie-Dolly Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Why do they do this? What is the point?
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Why do we have these? Surely if I had any advice I would contribute on the original thread.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • suejb2 wrote: »
    Why do we have these? Surely if I had any advice I would contribute on the original thread.
    Because they are questions emailed in by people that get the email from the site and may not even have forum accounts.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Really? Really?
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Because they are questions emailed in by people that get the email from the site and may not even have forum accounts.

But surely the mse team have better things to do with their time than pass on this sort of nonsense.

They could change the newsletter to tell people to register on the forum if they want to post.

I don't think anyone likes these threads where the OP is absent. Yet they persist. :(
  • maman wrote: »
    They could change the newsletter to tell people to register on the forum if they want to post.
    Some people don't like social media so won't register for forums, facebook etc. ;)
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • LesD
    LesD Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Mmd rip..............

(Anyone know why this software keeps insisting I want to type in lower case?)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    maman wrote: »
    But surely the mse team have better things to do with their time than pass on this sort of nonsense.
    QED: the very fact that they are doing so suggests not :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • marich
    marich Posts: 125 Forumite
    Who dreams these up ? Really , they seem to get worse by the week.

Much like this guy's veggies , I'm feeling that whoever makes these up in MSE's office has to deserve a better rebirth ... What a way to earn your living !

Yeah , your pal is due you some veggies - but , hey , lighten up man ! How about moving out ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure