Dealer and failed MOT

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    newbie1980 wrote: »
    it was in the paper the other day that if you have a failed mot it will be on the vosa system as no MOT on the car
    Lots of things are in the paper that are steaming codswallop.

It has an MOT until September. The MOT site shows that.
    It failed the MOT on a light bulb.
    Change the light bulb, and it's perfectly legal again.

They've told you that the car will have a new MOT. It doesn't. They need to sort you an MOT appointment out.

loskie wrote: »
    how quickly is the system updated? Maybe its not on yet.
    Instantly. The tester's computer is connected straight to DVSA's computers.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    newbie1980 wrote: »
    it was in the paper the other day that if you have a failed mot it will be on the vosa system as no MOT on the car
    Yes, there's been some reporting saying that. But it doesn't mean that its true!

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/can-you-drive-your-car-after-an-mot-fail-if-the-old-test-hasnt-expired/

But back to the OP - what shoddy and deceitful service from a selling garage!
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Currently a MOT fail doesn't invalidate an existing MOT, from next month that changes with the new MOT rules.
    Have you got a definitive source that says that? Not looking to cause an argument - just to get to the bottom of it. I've been looking through the official DVSA documents and can't find anything.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    marlot wrote: »
    Have you got a definitive source that says that? Not looking to cause an argument - just to get to the bottom of it. I've been looking through the official DVSA documents and can't find anything.

There isn't one as far as I and the guys at peppipoo can find out.
    It is just misinformation, probably based on someone saying that even if you have a current valid mot, failing a test today could mean that you are knowingly driving an unroadworthy vehicle, with the possibility of a fine up to £2500 and points, whereas no valid mot is a fine upto £1000 and no points.

However, we did find good news: the Dvla will now send a reminder text about your mot due date free of charge! (You have to register for it, it doesn't just happen)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    facade wrote: »
    However, we did find good news: the Dvla will now send a reminder text about your mot due date free of charge! (You have to register for it, it doesn't just happen)
    They've been doing that for a year or two already.
    https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 April 2018 at 12:53PM
    Poor show from the dealer - replace a bulb and the MoT place they took it to shouldn't do a full re-test or charge for a partial if it's within a couple of weeks of the original test. If this has happened in the last few days get on to them sharpish :)

p.s. you really shouldn't have driven off before checking everything was in order, would've saved yourselves a bit of hassle...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Not quite. Even under the revised rules, a fail won't invalidate the old MOT. What it will do is make it easier for the police (if you're lucky enough to see one!) to see that there was a dangerous fault and that you were aware of it.

But the old MOT will still be valid:

Say you put it in early and it fails on a "dangerous" tyre fault and some welding. If you replace the tyre and get the welding done then you can still continue to drive on the old MOT without getting it retested (because the faults have been rectified) even under the new rules.

That's a potentially important distinction because it means they can't use the new rules to introduce ticketing-by-post.

That’s been the case for a while now.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That’s been the case for a while now.

No, they've been able to see a fail but not whether it's dangerous.

The new categories (minor, major and dangerous) effectively formalise the old "In my opinion this vehicle is dangerous" tick-box by taking it out of the tester's opinion.

"Bald tyre? That'll be dangerous, Sir". In the past, few testers outside certain national chains would've flagged a tyre just below the limit as dangerous but now the system will do it for them.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    No, they've been able to see a fail but not whether it's dangerous.

The new categories (minor, major and dangerous) effectively formalise the old "In my opinion this vehicle is dangerous" tick-box by taking it out of the tester's opinion.

"Bald tyre? That'll be dangerous, Sir". In the past, few testers outside certain national chains would've flagged a tyre just below the limit as dangerous but now the system will do it for them.

And you don’t think a vehicle examiner can work that out?

Since the system became computerised the police have know what its failed on. Anything covered by a non endorsable ticket is probably not dangerous the rest is.
  • Noree
    Noree Posts: 166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    With the failures being categorised, it can help the police. But nonetheless a failed MOT on the road prior to an MOT expiry can lead to further potential legal issues either way. If a seat belt has failed and someone is still sat in that seat using that belt, the consequences differ to that of a failure regarding a bulb.

As mentioned, there is no intended changes with regards to what Tarambor said further up this thread. It!!!8217;s purely speculative at best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure