PinknSparkly's Mortgage Wannabe savings dairy

Options

Comments

• pinknsparkly
    Options
    Thanks SW - my plans are where you see my (not so inner) geek coming out to play. I LOVE numbers and spreadsheets and juggling them all to make them balance and match up. It's so sad, but I genuinely enjoy it :rotfl: I've never invested at all before though, I've done quite a bit of reading but in the end, after narrowing it down to a few options (those I listed), I'm struggling to choose between them so am going to pick one of the ones that will have the lowest fees. If two work out to be very similar in terms of fees then I may invest my LISA/ISA into different funds to my husbands.

And SW and Skinty, I was referring to this thread: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5946162 - and it amuses me greatly that not a single person has thanked the original poster, or even appears to agree with her :rotfl: Obviously, she didn't post it on our lovely little board! I also think her post is pretty rude and arrogant but it did get me thinking about the "Thanks" button, which as I said - I have barely used in the past! Though using the button as a placemarker is an ingenious idea Skinty, and one I may have to steal!

And an update from me..... We went shopping to Lidl today as one of their "specials" is a laundry rack for £15 that my mum has and is great. When we got there, we decided to buy two (ours are all falling apart and we use them quite heavily) and then my husband spotted an oil filled electric radiator for sale for £30. I've been meaning to buy one for a while, and this was identical (in spec) to the ones I was looking at online that start from £45. Then (see where this is going....) I found some lovely stretch jeans for £10 and they had their thermal, fleece-lined tights back in stock at 2 for £5. So, long story short: we went to Lidl to buy a £15 airer plus some food for the week and ended up spending over £100 :eek::eek::eek: But, it's all stuff we needed and so have saved money over all. It's just, by far, the most amount of money I've ever spent in Aldi or Lidl in one visit!!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have to avoid the middle of lidl like the plague otherwise I'd be buying everything :rotfl:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Wow, I know Dizzy! For some reason I can resist (mostly!) the middle aisle in Aldi but Lidl is my nemesis :rotfl: Though I suspect that's more because I now know where everything is in my local Aldi so go directly to what I want and don't even look at the middle section. I'd only been to this Lidl once before (and that was several years ago) so "had" to go up every single aisle to find what I was after.... That said though, I do find that the middle aisle stuff from Lidl is actually very good quality - and you can often find it being resold on Ebay for twice the price (and selling!) so that's how I'm attempting to justify it. The oil-filled radiator has been on for a couple of hours and is amazing - definitely worth the purchase!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Our joint account is with Natwest and I've just applied to switch it from a Select account (the standard one) to a Reward account which costs £2/month but pays 2% cashback on all household bills paid by DD so I we should make about £60 out of it over the year.

Then my next plan of attack is to try and obtain some of the switching incentives that banks are currently offering. I have a current account with Metro bank that I opened for fee-free debit card transactions abroad but have since switched to using Revolut instead for that. Natwest are offering a £150 incentive to switch to them, and they don't require any DDs to be set up either (which most of them do require) so once our joint account is switched to a Reward account, switching my unused Metro account to Natwest is the next step. £150 for a few minutes works seems too good to be true!
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    So one of the things I'm trying to improve this year (though I refuse to call it a NY resolution cos that's setting myself up to fail!) is to be more organised with people's birthdays and anniversaries. I've not sent anyone anniversary cards in years, am pretty hit and miss with birthday cards and never got round to sending Xmas cards last year.

Anyhoo, my nieces are 5 on Monday and I took their gifts to the post office and was pretty chuffed to find out that I was so well organised that I could send them second class (that's my serious MSE fail - I ALWAYS end up having to post stuff first class as I leave it too late).

A week ago I bought cards for all birthdays up to the end of March, including one of my brothers who lives outside Europe. Looking on Royal Mail it turns out that I'm early enough to send his card International Economy.... A postal option that can take up to EIGHT weeks to deliver.

I've also ordered a birthday gift for another niece, went to set it up this evening before wrapping it and found it wasn't working (it's battery operated). I've ordered it with enough time to contact the Amazon seller and (hopefully!) get a replacement sent out.

Who is this organised version of myself?? :eek:
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Make another tiny mortgage OP of £3.12 this morning - which is the interest earned on a Tesco current account (used as a savings account).

Have also done a money transfer from my Halifax credit card to my Halifax bank account (no fee, interest rate = 4.9%) and then balance transferred that credit card balance to my new Santander 0% interest credit card (fee-free balance transfers). The money is earmarked for my LISA, that I haven't yet set up, and I will continue contributing to my regular savers to make sure I have the full amount of money available to pay off the credit card in 27 months time before they start charging me interest.
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hurrah for switching and for prepping for birthdays. V MSE. Ive earned a fortune from this over the years and enjoyed it too.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Thanks SW! I also think the biggest bonus is not having the last minute stress of rushing out to get something that is usually both pricier and a less great gift than one I'd give if I planned ahead :(

I've just ordered an anniversary gift for my husband (two years married, ten years together - we got married on our 8 year anniversary). I can't quite believe that it's been that long (feels like only a couple of years), and when I realise how long it HAS been, I can't believe we've not killed each other yet :rotfl:

After two years, I still haven't had any of our wedding photos printed out and put up though :eek: Maybe that'll be my goal for our third wedding anniversary?!

We had a chap come round this morning to look at our garden to give us a quote for redoing it. We've got no real ideas or plans in our head other than it needs to be low maintenance with a smallish shed to store two bikes and garden chairs. He's suggested levelling it and starting again, reusing what materials he can, to make it all one level. It's not very big as it is (not quite as postage stamp size as some new builds, but not far off!), and it's currently split into two levels (one gravel/slabs, one decking). So having it all one level, and removing the giant bush that keeps trying to take over the garden, will give us a lot more space out there. We'll see what his quote comes back as, but unless it's stupid we'll probably go with him. We liked him, he's got good reviews online and we simply won't ever get round to doing it ourselves!!

The only real update money-wise (other than paying for the garden) is that I've opened a stocks and shares LISA. First time I've EVER owned any stocks and shared. So I'm doing the grownup thing of refusing to look at it.... Usually I check our main bank accounts daily and our savings accounts a couple of times a month but I've decided to check the LISA only when I'm adding money to it. I *think* I've read enough about stock and shares no to freak out if the value drops, but I'm going to try and minimise the potential for me freaking out by checking it reasonably infrequently! I've only put £100 in for now, as that was the minimum for the fund I wanted to select. I'll be sending the rest of the £3900 allowance for 2017/2018 across split over the next two or three paydays (end of Jan, end Feb, end Mar). Then next year I'll open up one for my husband too (we used his cash LISA to buy the house so can't open another one for him til next financial year).
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Happy anniversary :beer: It was mine as well this month, my mum sends me a card each year because he doesn't bother with it :rotfl:

Its dangerous giving a landscaper an empty plot with no plan in mind :D we tend to get carried away, so time to hit up pinterest and the likes with a budget in mind as it gets very expensive fast (so my husband tells me) when you decided your budget then double it as that is probably whats its gonna cost :rotfl:
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »
    Its dangerous giving a landscaper an empty plot with no plan in mind :D we tend to get carried away, so time to hit up pinterest and the likes with a budget in mind as it gets very expensive fast (so my husband tells me) when you decided your budget then double it as that is probably whats its gonna cost :rotfl:

:rotfl: Thanks Tori - when I said we didn't have a plan in mind, I meant that we arranged for him to come round and see what suggestions he'd make. We've come to a simple design plan between the three of us (me, husband and the landscaper) that he was going to go away and quote for. It will involve clearing the garden completely and basically starting from scratch (it's in a complete state and really does need a lot of attention). I'm hoping it won't be too pricey but we're still waiting on the quote :D I'd just like a nice, low maintenance garden that I can enjoy spending time in! He's going to include one raised bed so I can maybe attempt to grow some veggies (when I've tried in the past, I usually get one or two very sad looking veggies that grow and then the snails beat me to them!!).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback