Balancing not just the budget

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,868
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    How did I miss you are unwell? I hope you are okay.
    I see you all snuggled up looking at camper vans with a huge cup of tea and a cat nearby.
    Take care :)

Thanks DIA, I am feeling better :)

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • RosaBernicia
    Forumite
    edited 9 April 2018 at 5:59PM
    Belated shuffle report...

All looking ok, apart from a missing £6-odd on the CC which I refuse to worry about. I've got the app for the account now so easy to check.

Tax and electric have both failed to let me give them money yet - suppose I won't moan about that :)

Refund for refused substitution in the online order has come through straightaway so am happy with that too.

Robovac is bloody marvellous - don't know that I'd trust it left alone, especially after the horror stories of what they can do with animal related incidents, but it's done very well just pootling about the upstairs or downstairs while I do something else and keep a vague eye on it. It can't get the very tight corners but will certainly count as doing the 'middles' part of a FlyLady routine. It's not quite as noisy as the 'normal' one and the filter seems to be better, which has reminded me to buy a new one for the other vacuum (I am debating also replacing the hose but that seems to be £50 - suppose it would be greener, and I have no actual need for a different vacuum as that one does very well - will see how it gets on with new filter). Really pleased with it as that means my least favourite job can now be done much more often and easily :)

Old furniture is being collected this week and I think I have almost decided to also replace the sofa. I know what I would like instead and it would mean I have the house fully sorted ready for the next phase. Might not be very good timing if combined with campervan but that is still all up in the air so might just go with the flow :) It's very therapeutic having a proper clearout and choosing things that reflect me - as I am and want to be now, not donkeys ago - seems to be happening in other areas of my life as well so here's hoping that this spring is the start of wonderful things.

Rosa xx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,805
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Yes, indeed, hoping that spring is indeed the start of good things for you :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,061
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I so want a robot cleaner :) Have seen some great videos with cats riding on them which put me off
  • RosaBernicia
    Forumite
    I so want a robot cleaner :) Have seen some great videos with cats riding on them which put me off

Cats are less freaked out by it than the normal hoover, but did the ears back deeply suspicious dance and ran away so I don't think they'll be riding it any time soon.

I don't think I'd realised how much the vacuuming thing was getting me down til seeing both floors clean without the hassle of wrestling vacuum from cupboard and up and down stairs combined with noise and coughing from dust. The stairs themselves still need doing but can be swept down with a brush and the robot can get the mess in the hall. I just opened all the doors, pressed go, and left it to pootle for a while. All the stuff coming in from the garden via the cats has disappeared and the general dust levels are much improved everywhere it can reach, which includes along skirting boards and under beds.
  • I so want a robot cleaner :) Have seen some great videos with cats riding on them which put me off

Loved that really made me laugh :rotfl:
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • Cats are less freaked out by it than the normal hoover, but did the ears back deeply suspicious dance and ran away so I don't think they'll be riding it any time soon.

I don't think I'd realised how much the vacuuming thing was getting me down til seeing both floors clean without the hassle of wrestling vacuum from cupboard and up and down stairs combined with noise and coughing from dust. The stairs themselves still need doing but can be swept down with a brush and the robot can get the mess in the hall. I just opened all the doors, pressed go, and left it to pootle for a while. All the stuff coming in from the garden via the cats has disappeared and the general dust levels are much improved everywhere it can reach, which includes along skirting boards and under beds.

Oh FAb news about the new robohoover:D:D
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • RosaBernicia
    Forumite
    Gah, there's always ruddy something :mad: and today's was a completely insane electric bill. The good news is that the company agree it's insane and think there's something up with my meter, but I could really do without the stress. I think I will have to get the meter changed and have asked the electrician to come round and have a look - I'd rather pay him a callout than continue worrying about it. I was putting off dealing with this until the new smart meters come out but it looks like it might have to be dealt with sooner. Was also annoyed as it distracted me during a work call - yes, I shouldn't have been on my other phone anyway :o - and my stress levels just went zooming up. I know there isn't a need, since it was obviously bonkers and I do have buffer funds now, but it happened all the same.

I am feeling rather behind and distracted with everything, and trying to remember to pace myself. I actually got the FlyLady book out last night to remind me... think the frustration is partly because now it feels like being organised is doable and I should get there, but must remember to go slowly rather than the usual crash & burn style, especially as I've just been ill.

Budget is otherwise ok, and I have hopefully fun weekend plans coming up - at a friend's this weekend, then the next couple will be last bits of furniture sorting and maybe a trip to a campervan dealer :)

Rosa xx
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,651
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Sorry about the electricity bill woes and I agree even if you know it will be resolved it is still stressful.

Take it easy and as you say, pace yourself.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,805
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Boo to the electric bill.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback