PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

BT pole on my property

Comments

• dc197
    dc197 Posts: 812
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ninnut85, Davesnave, how did you get on?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,157
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Me personally, views house for sale, sees this pole on the driveway, decides against going ahead with an offer.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Me personally, views house for sale, sees this pole on the driveway, decides against going ahead with an offer.

For an ordinary house, maybe.

However, some of us have more than the average size of 'garden,' where poles for electric, telephones, communications masts and maybe underground water mains are all part & parcel of the ownership.

Good job we do too, or you would probably find life somewhat inconvenient!
  • Davesnave
    Forumite
    dc197 wrote: »
    Ninnut85, Davesnave, how did you get on?

PM'd you, but basic answer is in Post 40 for me.
  • Hi sorry I know this thread is old but does anyone know if the same things apply if the pole isn't on your land but is placed at the end of a drive on the pavement of a dropped kerb.The pole makes it very difficult getting on and off our drive. The house and the drive were built in 1950 and the pole was installed after this.
  • Davesnave
    Forumite
    Netti9989 wrote: »
    Hi sorry I know this thread is old but does anyone know if the same things apply if the pole isn't on your land but is placed at the end of a drive on the pavement of a dropped kerb.The pole makes it very difficult getting on and off our drive. The house and the drive were built in 1950 and the pole was installed after this.
    If I read this right:
    • the pole isn't on your property
    • the pole was there when you purchased the property
    • the dropped kerb and access were there at the time of purchase
    If the above is correct, I'd say you have little chance of having the pole moved, except at your own expense. This is a significantly different scenario from the one which began this thread.
  • Hi I'm having the same issue and haven't been able to make much progress with Openreach.

I sent them an initial letter asking them to remove the pole that's on my land, including a copy of the email from Julie Breeze confirming they have no wayleave present. They came back to me with about 6 days before the 28 days with a counter notice and loads of snips from the telecommunications code.

I then wrote to them again demanding them to remove the pole as its placed illegally on my property and that they have ignored that fact, I also included the email from the wayleaves department again. Gave them another 28 days and they haven't got back to me. Today is the 28th day so I'd like some advice on where to go.

All letters have been sent recorded and I have copies of them.

The pole is on my land, serves my house and runs over the top of my house, it's actually resting on the apex of my roof, to another pole which serves 5 houses.

I want it moved because it's ugly, on a very old pole that is rotten and tethered to a new western power pole and it spoils the views. Western power are under grounding their cables so it makes sense for Openreach to do the same.

Can anyone suggest how I proceed from here?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/wayleaves/wayleavesfaqs/wayleavesfaqs.do

you have "flying wires" to the other properties

What are "flying wires"?
    Under certain circumstances, Openreach is allowed to "fly wires" over an adjacent property from an existing pole without the need for a wayleave. This permission only applies providing we do not need to enter the property concerned to do so, that the wires are at a height of 3m or more, and that they do not interfere with the normal business on the property.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    this also applies, the can leave it there if they can justify it using statuary powers:-

1. What if I don't want to sign the wayleave?
      Openreach does have certain statutory powers under The Code to be able to install our apparatus without the need for a signed wayleave agreement. However, we would only consider using these powers under exceptional circumstances and if we are left with no other alternative.
    2. How long does a wayleave last?
      Unless circumstances dictate otherwise, a wayleave is an on-going agreement which continues to apply to the apparatus it covers, even if the ownership of the property subsequently changes hands.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Flying wires I understand is where the pole is not on my land, however the pole is on my land, which is marked as dangerous and its fallen down to some degree which now touches my roof.

They still need a wayleave to be able to service the pole which is on my land.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure