PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• Hopeless_Case
    Options
    I've got some tiny satsumas which I bought YS and which are now looking a bit shrivelled from the outside, they're really hard to peel and in the past I might have chucked them, but they're actually delicious :)
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I made some broccslaw yesterday with an unused broccoli stump, really nice, all my veg gone now, that was the plus side, on the down side I had to consign 4 peaches to the bin, started to see a few fruit flies and I had intended to use them in some way and pop in freezer.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I want to use up the freezer contents before we move so yesterday I defrosted some ready rolled puff pastry and a pack of chopped spinach and made a Spanakopita Pie (which is spinach, feta cheese, mint and onion) He Who Knows had some for his lunch today and really enjoyed it and there is enough left for at least two more lunches each. I have some packs of home grown tomatoes in there too I see so I'll defrost one of them overnight tonight and make a sauce to top a scone based pizza for supper tomorrow, every little helps as they say but it's still looking very full! Ne'mind we'll get there!
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JackieO - I'm trying to include more salads in our meals, we enjoy them too !!!128522;
    MrC brought up a carrier bag full of broad beans from the allotment yesterday, and the freezer is full so I am experimenting with an online recipe for a broad bean, red onion and lemon salad today. It is so hot here that I want to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible.
    I'm also stealing MrsLWs idea and cooking two wrinkly peppers on a griddle. Will dress them with oil and a little lemon and add them to our other salad for tea.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A big bag of last years blackberries has surfaced today so they're on the hob in a big pan simmering for blackberry compote which I can serve chilled from the fridge. I always thicken it slightly with cornflour as it's not very substantial if I don't. He Who Knows will happily have it for breakfast and as pudding more than once a day thank goodness, it was a 4 1/2 litre bag full to the brim!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Isn't it great when you find a 'lost' treasure like that My DGS help me forage for them and they then get tucked away until at least January for crumbles and the odd left over ones get mixed into vanilla ice cream for a sort of blackberry swirl:) The compote sounds delicious I sometimes mix a handful with greek plain yogurt and a few crunched up bran flakes for a sort of home made mueller corner :)

JackieO xxx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Have just been up to the polytunnel and picked another pound or so of French beans so they are in a pan on the hob and I'll dress them with a lemon mayonnaise when they're only just cooked (still with a little 'bite' and we'll use them as a salad. Too hot by far today to have a 'hot' hot meal with veg and I've already got a fairly big bag in the fridge!!!
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    pamsdish wrote: »
    I made some broccslaw yesterday with an unused broccoli stump, really nice, all my veg gone now, that was the plus side, on the down side I had to consign 4 peaches to the bin, started to see a few fruit flies and I had intended to use them in some way and pop in freezer.
    That's a good idea! I used the stumps in broccoli soup but it was the first time I did, ashamed to say I've always chucked them before :(
  • EarlyRetirement
    Options
    Hello,

I have been having a read of posts you have some wonderful ideas that I will be trying, I try to use up everything we have, sometimes I fail to know what to do with some things.

I will be back for more ideas. Thank you all,
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Earlyretirement you have come to the right place the folk on here are brilliant for ideas for using odds and ends up and no question is ever daft or unesseccery. We are all here to help lower the amount of food that goes into landfill, and to make our pennies streetch a little bit further, welcome and enjoy the craic xx

JackieO
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure