Insurer Can't Provide Solicitor

Hello,

To be very brief, I was involved in an accident my car vs motorcycle, thankfully nobody hurt.

I don't deny I shoulder the majority of the blame but I don't feel 100% of it. Anyway, I have been in contact with my insurer numerous times and have an issue that the solicitor that they usually use is already acting for the other party so won't act for me due to conflict of interest, fair enough.

The issue I have is that my insurer are not making any real efforts to find another solicitor to represent me, I spoke with them 2 days ago and was told that they couldn't find another and "you will have to find one yourself"

Is this correct? Can they say that and if so what on earth do I pay them for!? And if it is correct I have to source my own can anyone offer advice as I don't even know where to start.

Thanks.

Comments

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why do you feel you need a solicitor at all?

Assuming you have fully comprehensive insurance, does it really matter if you're 25% to blame or 75%?

You end up in pretty much the same position - a claim on your record and paying the excess for your vehicle.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    marlot wrote: »

Assuming you have fully comprehensive insurance, does it really matter if you're 25% to blame or 75%?

You end up in pretty much the same position - a claim on your record and paying the excess for your vehicle.
    No

When liability is split each side still can pursue the other for their "share" of the uninsured losses

So you still can get your share of your excess back off the third party (ie if you are held 25% to blame you get 75% of your excess and any other uninsured losses back off the third party)
  • Do you have motor legal protection/ legal expenses cover?

If so then ask to be put onto the solicitors on their panel for advice and possible assistance, there should be more than one firm on their panel.

If you don't have legal cover your insurers are under no obligation to find you a lawyer and you would have to appoint one yourself. If you have no injuries to claim for then a small claim case for recovery of some losses like an excess is as desirable as a smack in the face for a law firm as there are no costs of any value to gain from the other side. Most likely result would you having to engage them on a private paying basis, which would mean you spent more in costs than your claim was worth.
  • Even with legal cover they will only accept cases which are a good way north of 50% likely to win; sounds like yours isn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure