Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Dh treated me out for dinner tonight at an Italian chain (which I booked after looking up offers :D) lots of brownie points to him, until he ordered from the main menu and not the 3 courses for £15.95 that I did - Boo! Ten points from gryffindor for that :rotfl::rotfl:

Spending today-

I bought three £2 coins from Ds2 to add to my collection, it’s over £50 so far this year :T £22 of that may have been stolen from dhs coin jar - but he was aware of the theft at the time...

£30 spent online at Superdrug with tcb and a £10 off code, I bought lots of toiletries on offer either reduced or bogof, all sensible cheap stuff, nothing remotely fun or frivolous :o

£14.73 tcb requested today, plus £70 and a few pennies extra due to no water or sewage this month as it’s a ten month direct debit :T

Money shuffle partly done, it’s to be continued tomorrow as it’s time to buy more premium bonds - hooray :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Well we seem to be running an B and B here this weekend. Two extras Friday one of whom I think is still here, teenage boys can honestly sleep anywhere it seems, chairs, the floor etc. Even me and the cat making a noise in the morning doesn’t wake them up :rotfl:

Almost broke the budget by ordering a pizza tonight, I’ve had a bad back and really couldn’t face cooking, managed to hold off though :D

Dh and I have been discussing our cruise spending today, they have recently started doing drinks packages, it’s expensive though! £18.97 for non alcohol one pp per day, and £37.95 for the alcoholic (literally!) one. You also have to book everyone in the same cabin on packages. I was hoping to perhaps leave it but dh is keen to book them, I think he believes it will stop me collecting receipts and adding them up daily- it won’t though :o

He can’t win either way really as if he drinks enough to get his moneys worth it will be too much and annoy me, and if he doesn’t it will be a waste if money and also be annoying, he can’t win :rotfl::rotfl:

Still it gives me a challenge for the week to drink a lot of coffee and mocktails :D If I order lots of my parents drinks on my cards they will get 25% off their bar bill, so at least they will save.

Plans for Monday :

Do washing and ironing up to date

Buy birthday cards and paper

Top up food shop

Mop floors

Book hairdressers

Plan birthday meet up with family
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Well done on being strong about takeaway - it's difficult when you're feeling carp, but at least there's the satisfaction afterwards of not having caved in!

They all stay at yours because they know you're lovely! (And I bet their parents are really glad that their sons are friends with yours and will be safe!)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    Options
    Very kind of you vix, but I think they stay at ours due to the location - we are walking distance to their favourite pub and the tube :D one of the boys though lives around the corner, when I asked why he stays over he said his mum doesn’t like him coming home after midnight :eek: that’s fine then love, he can wake me up instead!

Evertything on the list is ticked off today except the big stuff, the dreaded washing and ironing. Somemay get done tonight but I met mum and aunt this morning, then best friend for a long walk with her dogs , now ds2 wants to go the cinema after work.
  • newgirly
    Options
    Still hanging in there somehow with the budget, £85 left and loose change in cash until 5th April when the budget (£20 a day) flips to using the cc again at the same rate.

Think we have found the perfect break for Dd and boyfriend, I suggested centreparcs as he has never been, it might work out cheaper than an air bnb for a week as they won’t have to drive for days out. They have a four night break in Suffolk for £379 self catering which is £30over budget so will probably book that when he gets the time off approved. They want to cook and will love the pool :D

Back still playing up and work busy, some of the massive clients dh was trying to get work from last year have now put jobs through, valuable jobs, which is great for the new company but a bit sad that it wasn’t last year and would have meant we would have kept the comany :o its a culmination of lots of work on his part which came in just that bit too late! That’s life I guess, at least everyone’s jobs are secure.

Still using mfp and have lost for the fifth week in a row - 2&3/4 pounds this week :eek: it’s going well and I don’t feel like I’m dieting (unlike WW which was torture for me !)
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cent3r parcs break sounds great. We don't spend a lot when there as cook in the lodge and enjoy lots of the free activities. Otherwise uk breaks can be expensive if you're needing to eat out and find things to do, great choice.

That's a tight budget, any plans/tricks to see you through? Am sure being AF is helping hugely and will be speeding up your weight loss too. No need for expensive slimming clubs, you're doing brilliantly!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • newgirly
    Options
    Thanks cath, I’m sure the lack of wine is helping in various ways :D The kids have been out and about a lot lately and getting themselves the odd takeaway which helps keeping spending down I guess.
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Interesting what you say about the business... I really struggled workwise this year and am flooded with work at the moment, I wonder if that was a more general pattern now.

Think of the benefits of not being responsible for the company any more - frustrating though it must be!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    Options
    I’m glad things have picked up for you work wise Vix :)
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hectic and very spendy day today, breakfast with dd and ds1 at the healthy cafe first thing as they were off. Ds1 will never be going there again as the beans were homemade, they didnt serve chips on the side and the coffee was £3.50 instead of his usual 70p cup at our nearest cafe :rotfl:

Also popped to then crematorium to leave flowers for grandad, then hairdressers for the full works including a free glass treatment :T then family round for a takeaway which dh kindly paid for.

It’s my birthday Tomorrow and I have a fabulous Victoria sponge made by a lovely lady at work (a whole pound of butter used apparently :eek:) to get through, then it’s a friends 50th party. A big party where I only know a few people and it finishes at 1am- not sure I’m really in the party mood so much now I don’t drink but need to make the effort :o

I’m about a week late in making the mortgage op and have not checked the finances for days, it always makes me feel a bit jittery when I don’t so I will spend some time tomorrow doing that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback