PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• Laura_Elsewhere
    Options

These coupons do not seem to be lasting long at all!

I know! Doesn't it make you really think about how people managed in the past? It's so recent that clothes have become so cheap that we can buy so many of them.

I know there are police reports I've read from just before the war (and in fact Agatha Christie's 'Mrs McGinty's Dead' has a similar bit) where a middle-aged woman's possessions are listed and she typically has her Sunday best skirt and jacket, and her everyday one (which would most likely have been her Sunday best a few years back), and possibly an old skirt and jacket kept for eg gardening, odd dirty jobs. Then perhaps 3 or 4 blouses, which would each be worn for a couple of days, so there's your weeks' washing, and a jumper and cardigan, 2 or 3 pairs of shoes, undies and that's the lot.

Imagine having just two outfits... well, my chap does, I suppose. He has four pairs of identical work trousers, 8 or so very similar work shirts; a couple of pairs of linen trousers for summer weekends, and borrows one of my big jumpers for cold weather. A lightweight jacket and a heavy jacket. Two pairs of identical leather work shoes, two pairs of walking-trainers. Undies and handkerchieves. That's the lot.
    How many coupons does he spend per annum? Er, none at all last year, I think...

I've got a dozen big skirts, half a dozen pairs of trousers, 30 or so tops in different colours, 20 or so camisoles in different colours, a dozen or more jumpers and cardigans in different colours, and let's just leave my Imelda Marcos shoe collection out of it :)
    How many coupons did I spend last year? Ahem, more than mine and his combined!

I need more of the clothes that go with more than one thing, that work harder - I have lazy clothes, that's what it is :D

Although also - modern women's clothes don't last properly. I bought Sainsbury's pyjamas from their men's dept in November and the trousers still haven't worn thin on the inner thighs, let alone worn through. I hadn't realised til I found myself marvelling, that I have simply become accustomed to buying women's PJ-bottoms and expecting them to last only 2-3 months.

So not only do I want my clothes to be more versatile in use, I damn well want them to be decent quality and last!!!!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • vintagegal
    Options
    Hello

Everything you have all posted today - so true! Quality is poor, we think we need much more than we really do, we don’t treasure things and we think we need a new outfit for every occasion. One thing I hope to get from this challenge is being happy to buy less but better. As well as appreciating all that I have already.

Today I went to fix my pinafore dress. I am so silly. It actually has two sets of buttons, and if I cross the straps at the back it actually fits me without needing any alterations...will wear it to work one day this week.

How are you adding photos to your posts?

Vintagegal x
    Fashion on the Ration 2020 - 5/66 spent
  • diminua
    diminua Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 10 February 2019 at 9:55PM
    Options
    Hi,
    I'd like to join if that's OK. I normally kid myself I don't buy that many clothes, but quite a lot of what I have was bought in the last year, and I know it's largely because what I have doesn't last.

Part of that is because I'm not great at looking after clothes. If I have missing buttons or hems coming down I think 'I'll sort that later' - but don't.
    So this evening I was inspired to (finally) fix the hem on my grey trousers, sew some missing buttons on my raincoat, and shift some buttons over on my winter coat (it's meant to have 4 functioning buttons and 3 that do nothing except make it more symmetrical. Since I'm missing quite a few I took off all the ones that are just decorative and moved them over so I can do it up - the buttons weren't sewn on that well and unpicked easily with no mark on the fabric).
    All three jobs took less than an hour to do and the garments look much better now. However I don't think the trousers (St Michael's finest nylon) will last to next December, which is another issue - clothes that don't last or lose buttons because they weren't well made to start with. I'm hoping this challenge will make me consider not just how something will look for a month or two, but whether it has durability (and also check if buttons are tacked on badly, and if they are reinforce them with a few pre-emptive stitches before they're lost forever).

So far this year I've bought a rust coloured jumper (cotton/acrylic) so that's 5 out of my 66 coupons.

Thanks,

Diminua
    Fashion on the Ration 2024 - 49 coupons left
    April Grocery Challenge £14.65/£200 spent
    Declutter 52 things (net) in 2023 -41 in 78 out (15 left)
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    When I type my post, there's a row of buttons above the box, to do bold or italic or underline, etc., and one of them is a little picture of mountains and the sun, and it's "image" - I can't upload an image but if it's already online somewhere, I can go to that website and right-click/ cmd-click and one of the options I get is "copy image address" - then back to here and I just click the "image" picture and paste in the image address and then it comes up.

Well done on the straps! :)

I think my irritation at the quality of clothing was around before, as a general sort of thing but doing this challenge last year and this has really sharpened it up.

I used to just fel a bit miffed if I bought something and it didn't last - so I'd buy two, or three, knowing it wouldn't last, and then try to make each one last anyway...

But now if I buy something and it doesn't last I feel cheated - oi you, those were MY COUPONS you conned me out of!!!!!
    I feel outraged and indignant and cross when some item of clothing lasts weeks, not even months.

So it's really changed how I view the throwaway cheap shoddy stuff - it's gone from inconvenient to a real sense of howling outrage and personal indignation! :)

How stupid do they think we are?!?!

Oh.

Really?

THAT stupid?

Woah. Well, yeah, based on the national evidence, I guess we are that dumb... just a couple of weeks ago I bought two items sold as "tops" which are literally too thin to wear as tops. And no, they weren't meant to be enticingly transparent, either, just really cheap shoddy mega-thin jersey-knit t-shirt fabric...
    So even though I know cheap stuff is rubbish, I still fall for it when it's reduced...

I'm getting there though!!!

(Currently learning to crochet filet-lace insertions so I can make some really pretty camisoles to wear under little blouses and cardigans so I can eventually stop wearing the wretched long-sleeve jersey-knit tops!)
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    Not sure if this works, and the kindle camera is awful but this is my hat https://pin.it/wkj6axq277madl

The hat is lovely! Looks a lot like crochet.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • PipneyJane
    Options
    diminua wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'd like to join if that's OK. I normally kid myself I don't buy that many clothes, but quite a lot of what I have was bought in the last year, and I know it's largely because what I have doesn't last.

Part of that is because I'm not great at looking after clothes. If I have missing buttons or hems coming down I think 'I'll sort that later' - but don't.
    So this evening I was inspired to (finally) fix the hem on my grey trousers, sew some missing buttons on my raincoat, and shift some buttons over on my winter coat (it's meant to have 4 functioning buttons and 3 that do nothing except make it more symmetrical. Since I'm missing quite a few I took off all the ones that are just decorative and moved them over so I can do it up - the buttons weren't sewn on that well and unpicked easily with no mark on the fabric).
    All three jobs took less than an hour to do and the garments look much better now. However I don't think the trousers (St Michael's finest nylon) will last to next December, which is another issue - clothes that don't last or lose buttons because they weren't well made to start with. I'm hoping this challenge will make me consider not just how something will look for a month or two, but whether it has durability (and also check if buttons are tacked on badly, and if they are reinforce them with a few pre-emptive stitches before they're lost forever).

So far this year I've bought a rust coloured jumper (cotton/acrylic) so that's 5 out of my 66 coupons.

Thanks,

Diminua

Welcome Diminua. Yes of course you can join.

I totally agree that the quality of much of the clothing sold is terrible. It’s the t-shirt seams that unravel after a couple of months of wear, and the fabrics that seem to dissolve in the wash. I’m fussy about fabric anyway; I hate anything that feels too plasticky - polyester anyone? - it makes my skin creep. I like natural fibres: wool, cotton and silk.

Like you, the biggest enemy to my wardrobe is my own laziness. I have the skills to sew hems, buttons, etc, to re-stitch seams, to replace linings and zips and to make minor adjustments (although I could really do with a dress-form). I’m a good seamstress - I grew up in a house where sewing was normal. My mother was a trained dressmaker and my great-uncle was a tailor (he died before I was born but, when I was a teenager, I made a dress out of some flannel he’d passed to my mum). I just don’t have the “oomph”.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• PipneyJane
    edited 10 February 2019 at 11:37PM
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    I’ve already purchased a new suit for 2019, so will start the year deducting that from my total coupons: a double breasted jacket (11 coupons), skirt (7 coupons) and trousers (6 coupons). That’s 24 coupons already spent, leaving me with 42 for the rest of the year.

- Pip
    Make that 36 coupons. Regardless of how many pairs of jeans I have - at least 7 - I couldn’t resist this morning’s email from M&S, promoting £15 skinny jeans and a £5 money-off voucher. I’ve just ordered a pair of indigo coloured skinny jeans from their website, for £10. That’s 6 coupons spent.

What can I say? I like skinny jeans and literally had my favourite pair dissolve on my thighs last year*. They had really good front pockets, which would take my phone and other things too. I have two other pairs: the Levis that I’m wearing tonight - which can just about fit my iPhone in their front pockets - and another pair which can barely fit a tissue, so get worn under sufferance.

Can I rant about phones and pockets? No. Please stop me..... **

- Pip (I’m no paragon of virtue.)

*. Purchased August 2015 from MrT’s in Dunfermline for £25 and worn to death. I got my money’s worth out of them. I’ve kicked myself that I didn’t buy two pairs.

**. Dear Mr Apple, please don’t make the iPhone any bigger. Please make a smaller model or reinstate the SE. One of the reasons I went for an iPhone SE is because it fit into my pocket, unlike any of the larger models.

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I think finding a well-fitting pair of jeans is so hard ... but I was really surprised at how many pairs I found in my charity-shop round last year. However, it takes time, persistence and luck. I usually have two pairs of jeans, and wear them to death.

It's so true that we have sacrificed quality for price. Even M &S t-shirts are thin these days, they used to be good quality cotton. However now I've found that making t-shirts is so easy I'm going to be making my own this year - not that I need any, probably about 15 at the last count, plus other tops!
    Like you, Pip, I can't face unpicking seams and moving waistbands - due to recent weight-loss my black work trousers are now too big, I'm managing with a belt at the moment but at some point I'm going to have to get new ones - or tackle taking these in. They're not mega-expensive so it might be a good opportunity to see if I can do it, no loss if they go wrong.

One of my favourite books is Rosamond Lehmann's 'Invitation To The Waltz'. Set in the late 1920s, it starts with the main character waking up on her 16th birthday and deciding which of her two jumpers to wear that day - the red or the fawn? Yep - she has TWO jumpers. It explains why those lovely old-fashioned wardrobes from those days now seem so small!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • vintagegal
    Options
    Thanks for the book recommendation PollyWollyDoodle, I have just splashed out on a 2nd hand copy for £2.20 inc postage!!
    Fashion on the Ration 2020 - 5/66 spent
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Ooh I hope you love it as much as I do!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure