Lost mobile.

I sold a mobile for £180 on eBay.
I used the recommended courier by Shutl, which was Hermes..
The tracking details listed as item lost. I put in a claim and contacted the service provider and cancelled the IMEI number.
It then turned out that the package was damaged not lost.
They paid out on the insurance, but yesterday I received a letter from the insurers telling me that it was only the packaging that was damaging, and as they have paid me the phone belongs to them, they can't sell it as it is blocked and they are asking for me to deal..
I am confused and feel that I have been made a scapegoat. I am concerned they will expect me to give the money back. TIA

Comments

• Did you get the full £180? Make sure you keep all the correspondence with them,just in case.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Yes I got the full amount of the phone and the postage was added to my Shutl account as a credit.
  • It's quite normal for insurers to want the item after a payout, even the "scrap", in the case of cars.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • So if you received payment of £180 from buyer and another from insurers, refund the buyer and no one has lost out.
  • That's correct, I refunded the buyer, then 10 days later the Shutl refunded me.
    I think what Shutl are getting as is that are now in possession of a phone, that they want to sell to recoup some of their losses.
    They are questioning me as to why I blocked the phone, when it was only damaged. However, I was originally told it was lost. My concern was that the buyer would be get the compensation for the phone then ended up getting the phone as well. I feel as though I am being pressured by Shutl because they can get the money back by selling the phone. Is this usual?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MarkN88 wrote: »
    So if you received payment of £180 from buyer and another from insurers, refund the buyer and no one has lost out.

Buyer will have been refunded as soon as phone failed to track to show delivered.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    You can get the phone unblocked, do so and they'll be able to sell it.

If it was me I'd offer to buy it back for a nominal sum (£50?) and resell it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure