Forum updates

Options

Comments

• TedRodgers
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi folks

We wanted to let you know about a few changes we!!!8217;ll be making over the coming weeks to help keep the forum secure. Some of them may affect the way you use the Forum.

Switching the Forum to HTTPS (unsecure url message)

Some of you have noticed the phrase !!!8220;unsecure url!!!8221; in your address bar. We!!!8217;re working now on switching the forum to HTTPS, which will mean that message will no longer show, and aiming to go live with it in April. This will involve turning the forum off for a few hours overnight while it!!!8217;s set live. We!!!8217;ll let you know closer to the time when this will be.

Turning off old forum versions

Work to switch the forum to HTTPS needs to be done on all versions (skins) of the forum. To reduce the time and resource it takes to make the switch we need to switch off some of those old forum skins and migrate the forum members who are on them to a newer skin (the one prior to the new blue skin). This will affect around 1,000 of you. You will still be on an old, green version of the Forum and will, of course, still be able to choose to switch to the newest, blue version if you decide to. We!!!8217;re sorry this may affect your use of the Forum. Our priority, though, has to be the security of the site.

Facebook login

Facebook is making changes to the way Facebook log-in works in April. At this time we!!!8217;ve taken the decision to remove the ability to log into the Forum via Facebook.

Let us know if you have any questions.

MSE Forum Team.

Could this post be re-written, it is at all clear. :mad:

It seems to be saying the old green version willl be turned off but you will still be able to use it.

That does not make sense.

The blue version is rubbish you should get rid of it.
    It is the sort of thing some one who does not use the forum would come with looks nice but useless. :mad:

Seems to the information to be conveyed is simple but we have been given a confusing and unclear message.
  • TedRodgers
    Options
    Is it possible to change the original posts so that is helpful rather than unclear baffling and confusing and timewasting?

Thnaks!!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 March 2018 at 12:57AM
    Options
    TedRodgers wrote: »

It seems to be saying the old green version willl be turned off but you will still be able to use it.

It is the sort of thing some one who does not use the forum would come with looks nice but useless. :mad:

Seems to the information to be conveyed is simple but we have been given a confusing and unclear message.
    I'm all for re-writing it, but not if the person doing the re-writing uses your post as a model of clarity.

The paragraphs you quote may have confused some people, so they have been explained within this thread.
  • Elmer_BeFuddled
    Options
    On my PC the "MoneySaving emails","Popular on MSE","Martins Twitter" column to the right hand side of the screen cuts off, or overlaps posts.
    Anybody else seeing this?

And how do I switch to the green version?
    I'm writing a book on plagiarism. It wasn't my idea.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

And how do I switch to the green version?
    Andrea is saying you can't, because you joined after the blue went live in April 2015.

A case of, "What you never had, you'll never miss," perhaps.

Or maybe, "All of us are equal, but some are more equal than others."

;)
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    TedRodgers wrote: »

The OP is clear, but perhaps someone needs to be a longer-standing member to understand it fully.

As you are quite a new member, I appreciate you wouldn't really understand the reference to the different skins, but as a newer member, you won't be affected by it, as you can only get the 'new' blue skin anyway.

As Davesnave says, the content of the OP has been explained more than once on this thread, by myself and others.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• angela110660
    angela110660 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 March 2018 at 8:04AM
    Options
    I am totally green - all the way! The blue is too bright. Thank you for maintaining green. Blimey just realised it has been 14 years !
  • Kered
    Kered Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Forget the colour, can you do something about the 60 second rule between posts please?

It has been proven that it has had no impact on what the spammers are doing.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    edited 30 March 2018 at 9:42AM
    Options
    redpete wrote: »
    The 1000 people are using even older skins, not the green one.

What the "1000" implies is that 1,000 people are using the "green stretchy" (or older) theme, as opposed to the latest "green fixed-width" theme or the "Blue Windows 10 wannabe" theme.

Don't say you use the "green" theme - there's more than one of those, and all but one of them are going. You either like the fixed width one, or you are SooL.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 March 2018 at 8:40AM
    Options
    Boom_Boom wrote: »
    Can we also go back to opening in a new tab when you click a link rather than overwriting the window you are in.

If you want open a new tab then simply press Ctrl + Click (on a PC) or hold the link for a few seconds on a mobile device.

Opening in a new tab as the default is very annoying when you don't want it to.
    Kered wrote: »
    Forget the colour, can you do something about the 60 second rule between posts please?

It has been proven that it has had no impact on what the spammers are doing.

Why would you want to post more often than 60 seconds?

If your replying to multiple posts in one thread its much better to put in multiple quotes and keep it all in once post.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport