We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018

Options

Comments

• sazzlebgood?
    Options
    been up the allotment today, tree finally in as the ground has defrosted. Gave next door loads of strawberries plants. Harvested swede, spring/winter onions, kalettes, romensco and cabbage, retrieved some potatoes from the clamp. Although the sun is shining the wind is bitter here.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Been for dog walk, got bundled into by a huge mutt and have hurt my leg, so no more gardening today. I'll try to get back out there tomorrow.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • sazzlebgood?
    sazzlebgood? Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 February 2018 at 12:46PM
    Options
    Yesterday i managed to pot up cherry toms that had gone a bit leggy so sunk them up to their leaves, also potted on chillis. Sowed sow celery and toms. When i was taking them up stairs to put in the heated propagator, one of the trays broke and i managed to chuck wet soil all over the hall carpet :mad: took a deep breath ate chocolate and then hoovered it up. So had to resow these, Also sowed summer sprouting broccoli and kalettes. OH and FIL are at the lottie today putting up the new shed. FIL is thinking about putting a log burning stove in there so will start looking on freecycle etc. Has anyone else done this? I can see it creating problems:eek: but he likes a project/challenge.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The leeks are currently in saucepans with potatoes. That's my gardening done for today.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    OK tomato seeds planted, a few weeks later than usual but it doesn't make any difference in when they leave the kitchen for the greenhouse, usually I am impatient to get things going but this year I have been slower to get up for it. Can't say that I am looking forward to snow, let's hope it is all a big fat panic. The buds are forming on my apricot tree it is always the first blossom of the year, last year I photographed the tree in full bloom on March 11th it will be interesting to see when it flowers this year.
  • sazzlebgood?
    Options
    snow has been on and off all day ,nipped to the allotment to pick salad leaves for tea tonight. Seems wrong to be eating salad when its so cold, but the aim this year is to eat something from the allotment everyday, hence salad leaves.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Fairly horrible here, pipes freezing etc. At least my second lot of Ailsa Craig tomatoes are just starting to pop up. Fingers crossed the snow will abate for a day or so around lunchtime, so we can dig our way to the garage and retrieve The Swedish Army Snow Shovel. It'll make short work of this stuff (if I can lift it...)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Scottish_Mike
    Options
    Hi, I'm coming in from the cold to join in!
    There's only a gentle snow here in Coventry, but it's way too cold to be doing anything outside.
    I'm forcing rhubarb out in the garden (and there's some popping out around the side of the forcer!) and have a tayberry I planted last year that is budding and needs tying in. I have a grape that needs pruning in about a months time, and I planted a gooseberry that I planted last year that I need to check and see what it's doing.
    Down the bottom of the garden are 2 apple trees and a quince. Hoping the quince will fruit this year, didn't have any fruit set last year. There are also some loganberries tied in, but I want to dump some manure at their bases when it warms up.
    I've also got an unseated greenhouse which is just sitting, sheltering some sweet peas and verbena seedlings and waiting to go.
    I'm itching to sow some seeds today, may do some lettuce and herbs, as my dad already has some basil sprouting so is beating me!
    I'm planning on sowing physalis soon. Never done them before and was wondering if anyone had any advice?
    Debt free except for this blooming mortgage!
    Offsetting is the way to go!
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well.... its not often the South East gets hit with it, but I'm knee deep in snow, and I'm urban! Shocking stuff - was nice for a day but it can do one now LOL

As part of my salute of two fingers, I shall be sowing seeds today : Cerinthe and Nasturium for flowers and some cape gooseberries, maybe something leafy too - perfect day for coffee and mooching through the seed box.

Stay warm and stay safe everyone :)
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 2 March 2018 at 1:28PM
    Options
    Chillis and sweet peppers are doing well in the heated propagator. Tomatoes (including the 'Honey Bubbles' that I'm trying for the first time this year) have just been potted on and are now on the spare bedroom window sill - which has a note on the door saying that it must be kept closed at all times to stop the cat from pushing the pots onto the floor. What is it with cats and 'pushing'?

I don't grow much green veg as my garden isn't big enough - but I'll be growing courgettes in tubs again, and may have a try at beetroot and spring onions (also in pots).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure