New Glasses blurry vision - Help

Comments

• ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    An important consideration, have you ever had double aspheric index lenses before? Some people can't tolerate the highest index lenses for various reasons and this can induce a sort of "seasick" feeling when wearing the lenses. You should talk over your issues with whoever prescribed the lenses as you might need to go down to a simple aspheric design and see if that helps.

I was hoping you would reply thanks

No this is the first time i have gone for double aspheric lenses the reason is because i have a very high perscription the double would make my lenses a lot thinner which they are not bad to be fair i still have the magnified eye look but not too big

by going down to the basic design would make my lenses a lot thicker which i dont really want as they would look horrible and make my eyes look really big

i also got a contact lenses perscription but for my right eye i cant just buy them off the shelf as the base curve is 7.6 or somthing
    do you know any places that make custom contact lenses to order i went on google but no one seems to do them and if the do the only supply the shops
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • ratrace
    Just dropped them off they are going to look in to it, we will see what they say
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you're determined this is what I'd do:

1. Get the refraction checked - the opticians should be happy to put the prescription into a trial frame just to see if the vision is ok through glass lenses
    2. Get the glasses checked - the opticians can check that the glasses are made up to specification
    3. Have the opticians mark up the centres of the lenses and make sure you're looking through those centres
    4. Get the fit checked.

Given that you're seeing ok through the lenses I'm sure the above is actually ok and this is a double aspheric problem, not every index suits every patient.

Now if everything checks out you need to take the glasses home, go to bed and when you wake up in the morning put your new glasses on, wear them all day and no matter what DO NOT REVERT TO YOUR OLD GLASSES. Repeat this for at least a week, you need to teach your brain to only look through the parts of your lenses where you can see clearly, this will only come by looking through double aspheric lenses. Taking them off and sticking on your old ones will pretty much instantly undo all the training.

If after a week you've still not settled then it's probably not going to happen for you and you'll need to think about your other lens options or changing to a different frame (small, round) where you can drop and index and not notice the thickness (I know high prescriptions suck).
  • I'm not at all technically-minded on this - but the comment about frame size resonated with me. I think the problem in my case had come about because the optician hadn't adjusted correctly to allow for the fact that I'd gone up to a bigger frame style and some point or other in the glasses lens wasnt at the correct place because of this.

Not sure what you mean by "aspheric" - but am guessing it might be you need an adjustment along the same lines as I do because of astigmatism?? I'm only very slightly astigmatic (no-one except my optician need ever know) - but the adjustment for that seemed to be what was throwing a not-as-experienced-as-they-should-have-been-optician.
  • ratrace
    If you're determined this is what I'd do:

1. Get the refraction checked - the opticians should be happy to put the prescription into a trial frame just to see if the vision is ok through glass lenses
    2. Get the glasses checked - the opticians can check that the glasses are made up to specification
    3. Have the opticians mark up the centres of the lenses and make sure you're looking through those centres
    4. Get the fit checked.

Given that you're seeing ok through the lenses I'm sure the above is actually ok and this is a double aspheric problem, not every index suits every patient.

Now if everything checks out you need to take the glasses home, go to bed and when you wake up in the morning put your new glasses on, wear them all day and no matter what DO NOT REVERT TO YOUR OLD GLASSES. Repeat this for at least a week, you need to teach your brain to only look through the parts of your lenses where you can see clearly, this will only come by looking through double aspheric lenses. Taking them off and sticking on your old ones will pretty much instantly undo all the training.

If after a week you've still not settled then it's probably not going to happen for you and you'll need to think about your other lens options or changing to a different frame (small, round) where you can drop and index and not notice the thickness (I know high prescriptions suck).

Thanks, the glasses have been dropped off and they have suggested that i go for the 1.67 as the current pair have 1.74 so i have gone with that for now as ill see how they are im hoping they are a lot better thanks for your help

Rat Race
  • GlasweJen
    You'll not know until you've tried but if dropping index works ask them to record on your dispensing record that you're intolerant to double aspheric. I had a nightmare complaint to mop up where a man had paid £700 for high index varifocals, had them remade 4 times only for me to be dragged in as a locum and discovered this happened at every single optician he ever bought expensive glasses from! Oh so you can't tolerate high index glasses then sir. I eventually managed to fix his problem by changing the frame type and a standard index lens with coatings. He seemed happy enough when he collected them (was a long term sickness cover job).
  • ratrace
    You'll not know until you've tried but if dropping index works ask them to record on your dispensing record that you're intolerant to double aspheric. I had a nightmare complaint to mop up where a man had paid £700 for high index varifocals, had them remade 4 times only for me to be dragged in as a locum and discovered this happened at every single optician he ever bought expensive glasses from! Oh so you can't tolerate high index glasses then sir. I eventually managed to fix his problem by changing the frame type and a standard index lens with coatings. He seemed happy enough when he collected them (was a long term sickness cover job).

Yes its a nightmare hence the reason ive not replaced them in 10 years

but the new one that they have sent of are still double aspheric but not the highest index but one less

what are glass lenses like i have heard they a bit better but im not to sure

Rat Race
  • GlasweJen
    ratrace wrote: »
    Yes its a nightmare hence the reason ive not replaced them in 10 years

but the new one that they have sent of are still double aspheric but not the highest index but one less

what are glass lenses like i have heard they a bit better but im not to sure

Brittle and heavy! You'd be mental to have your prescription made up in glass these days. If you can't get on double aspheric ask to try 1.74 aspheric and be super careful with the frame choice.
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Glass would be mega heavy in your prescirption - I never recommend that these days but some people still insist.

Re contact lenses have you ever considere hard lenses would be quite a suitable script for that?

Adaption is a chicken and egg thing you are only going to adapt if you wear the new specs solidly for a week.

You may find that a compromise between appearance and comfort has to be made
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My prescription is only 1.25 and I insisted on glass for years as it doesn't scratch as easily as plastic, even plastic with super hard coatings.

I only switched to plastic when I went to varifocals a couple of years ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure