I wish to have a TV without a licence...

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Tony Hall has indicated there will be a new way of funding the BBC by 2025 .That has to be the answer. You may have a better idea how that will possibly work. The way it is now is nt working very well at all and the UKs Magistrates I expect would like to see the end of it all too.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Tony Hall has indicated there will be a new way of funding the BBC by 2025
    I got the impression he was just saying that it would be completely outdated by then. A lot of people think it's outdated now.
    You may have a better idea how that will possibly work. The way it is now is nt working very well at all and
    I don't know what Tony Hall has in mind, but the process of making a decision about it is a lot more complicated than him simply deciding. The most obvious solution to me is for the Licence to become an electronically-enforced subscription.
    ... the UKs Magistrates I expect would like to see the end of it all too.
    That's my understanding, too.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 2 April 2018 at 11:56AM
    I can say this now because it happened in the late 1970s/early 1980s.....

The requirement for an individual TV licence was a bone of contention with those of us who lived in Armed Forces barrack blocks. Specifically, the WRAF block I lived in had a communal lounge with a colour tv set that we all paid for by monthly subscriptions - yet we still needed our own licences if we had our own (12" B&W) sets in our own rooms.

Then one evening the TV licence detector van paid a visit to our unit.... Bearing in mind that tannoy broadcasts could be heard all over the unit, except the inside of moving vehicles (engine noise drowned it out), the orderly Cpl announced that the van was on the unit and that all personnel with private tv sets were to have their licences ready for inspection.

They didn't catch a single person.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Okay, but aren't you required to physically inspect meters every 2 years or something? i.e. you have a compelling regulatory reason to enter the premises.

What do you think the answer is, then?

Yes to the first question.. To the second, have a moan on here?

I have no idea what the employer is like, although most of the outsourcing firms seem to be pretty unprofessional, but when we directly employed our own meter readers and fixers assaults on staff were taken very seriously.

There would be meter reader's comments on the customer records which gave them an idea what to expect. With the arrival of the data protection act we had to go through these comments and replace the statements. So "Amorous Housewife" (and I'm not kidding) would be replaced by something like "Do not visit alone". That was a catch-all for a number of situations!..
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Tony Hall has indicated there will be a new way of funding the BBC by 2025 .That has to be the answer. You may have a better idea how that will possibly work. The way it is now is nt working very well at all and the UKs Magistrates I expect would like to see the end of it all too.

I expect it to be something like Germany where it just became a national compulsory tax on every house regardless or their occupants TV viewing habits or lack of them.
    I have no idea how Germany actually collects it but in the UK I could see it being added into the council tax bill.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Uxb wrote: »
    I expect it to be something like Germany where it just became a national compulsory tax on every house regardless or their occupants TV viewing habits or lack of them.
    I have no idea how Germany actually collects it but in the UK I could see it being added into the council tax bill.

Yes, that's definitely a possibility.

As long as it's related to ability to pay (as it seems like Denmark's might be), and it has an opt-out for people who don't need a Licence (like France), I will be happy with it.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you only want to watch DVD's and Netflix why not just use your PC/Laptop? That's if it had a DVD/Blueray drive. Invest in a bigger monitor
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    TV's are cheaper (much cheaper) and have better speakers than most PC's and laptops, they're also usually positioned in a good spot to watch comfortably.

Not to mention Blu-ray playback on PC is still far from ideal in many cases

If I only wanted to watch non BBC "on demand" and DVD/BD's I'd just disconnect the aerial, connect up a suitable STB and player and let the TVL know I wasn't going to be watching TV.
    Simplest, cheapest and most comfortable way to go to streaming/home video only :)

I'm saying this as someone who does have a PC connected to his TV in several rooms,with cordless controls but much prefers to use dedicated devices where possible due to less faffing (I've had a PC connected to TV's for nearly 20 years on and off, and for many things a dedicated box is stiff far superior).
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    Yawn ! yet another BBC basher at work on here
    .What "poorly disguised BBC propaganda " is upsetting you ? I ve not noticed anything .
    Odd how the worlds best broadcaster and the UK s largest viewing figures by a country mile gets so much stick on here from recently joined forum users..

Can we have a truce on here and try and leave Auntie alone.
    If you really want to save 40 p a day can you do it without BBC bashing please at the same time and enjoy your Americana on Netflix at £80 a year ..
    I ve personally just enjoyed on BBC2 since 6 pm, Eggheads, The Repair Shop, and a brilliant Mastermind final.and will continue with Gardeners World and then Pilgrimage .The Road to Santiago , which I will be doing myself in a few months.
    Worlds most popular TV channel is.......BBC News ! because the BBC is the most trusted for world news.
    14 mins later, BBC PR/Tom/HM replies, defending the BBC as hard as he can go........:T
    Ask Sir Cliff Richard, how much HE trusts the BBC - probably as far as he can kick them......
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    I expect the BBC to be closed down, LONG before 2025.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure