Who tells CMS when to end it?

Hi,

My daughter who I don't have any contact to anymore is turning 18 in November I'm aware my payments will run into 2020 as she is under the new law education till they are 18 unless they get a job or till 20 for further education.

I wouldn't know if she was working or going into further education. While CMS now get my income from HMRC Who does the checking to see if she has gone onto further education or is working?

Does it all boil down to my ex telling them?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    No, I think it's when child benefit stops.
  • Gavin78
    Gavin78 Posts: 256
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    No, I think it's when child benefit stops.

I've just read up about that thanks.

At this point though I wouldn't know if she is working or has gone into further education. It states the resident parent can still claim CB if they are doing A levels or upto NVQ level 3.

I know if it was fulltime education still I would pay upto the end of July following her 20th Birthday which would be her 20th Nov 2021 and payments would end July 2022.

However while CMS can check my records for my earnings each year through HMRC and adjust payments each year who does the checking to see if my daughter is still in education or is working now?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Gavin78 wrote: »
    I've just read up about that thanks.

At this point though I wouldn't know if she is working or has gone into further education. It states the resident parent can still claim CB if they are doing A levels or upto NVQ level 3.

I know if it was fulltime education still I would pay upto the end of July following her 20th Birthday which would be her 20th Nov 2021 and payments would end July 2022.

However while CMS can check my records for my earnings each year through HMRC and adjust payments each year who does the checking to see if my daughter is still in education or is working now?

You can ask for an assessment if you want. Remember it's further, not higher education.

The CMS should check, but in reality they dont
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport