Caveat

Comments

• freda11
    freda11 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Thanks rpc, this caveat was placed in June and since then our solicitor who did the will has answered questions based on Larke v Nugus. Like you say all we can do now is wait for the reply.
  • madbadrob
    madbadrob Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The Larke v Nugus case was what set a precedent in these cases. The judges sitting on that noted that had the defending solicitor provided all the details prior to the court has was requested by the claimants solicitor then the case would never have gotten to court.

Costs are down to the court should it get that far and that will dependent on the sons instructions to the solicitor acting for him. If it doesnt get to caught then you will have to bear the costs or take him to a small claims court for the money which I suspect would cost more in the long run.

A caveat is only in place for 6 months anyway if I remember rightly

Rob
  • freda11
    an update : our solicitor has issued a warning regarding the caveat, so he now has 8 days to put in an 'appearance'. Do you have to appear in person or can you do it by letter?
  • madbadrob
    To challenge the caveat, you have to send a “warning” to the Leeds District Probate Registry. There is a form available for this but in your case your solicitor will do that. There is no fee for the warning. This document will be sent to the person who entered the caveat, and in order for their caveat to remain in place, they will have to enter an “appearance” at the Probate Registry. This is not a physical appearance, but is simply a further document which they will have to send to the probate registry within 8 days of receiving your warning.

If they do not enter an appearance, their caveat will be removed, and you will be able to apply for a grant. If they do enter an appearance, then the caveat will remain in place. The only way for it to then be removed is for both you and your opponent to both consent to its removal. If you cannot reach an agreement, then you will have to start Court proceedings to have it removed.

If you cannot come to an agreement with the person who applied for the caveat, you should seek legal advice as soon as possible. This is where matters become more complicated. The question of costs may arise and there is a possibility that you could become liable to pay not only your own costs but those of the other person as well.
  • freda11
    2 weeks has now passed since our solicitor issued them with the warning and the solicitors have heard nothing back! They are now writing to the probate office to see if it can be removed. Fingers crossed! Do you think we would of heard by now if they had appealed or whatever you do when issued with a warning??
  • freda11
    Heard today, he put in an appearance, so we now have to wait and hear from our solicitor, what the appearance was!
  • madbadrob
    Doesnt matter what the appearance was. You are now at the point where mediation is needed and if that fails then it is a court case. Sorry to say this could wipe out a large proportion of your inheritance

Rob
  • freda11
    I don't know what we could mediate on as he is saying that his father was high on morphine for cancer and so did not know what he was doing. This is not true so I presume the doctor will have to give a report.
  • madbadrob
    Is he trying to say that when the will was written that his father was not of sound mind etc? If so who wrote the will for him? Has his solicitor asked for a Larke V Nugus report yet?

Rob
  • freda11
    Hi yes the will solicitor has filled in a lark v nugus report and confirmed he was of sound mind it was witnessed and carried out correctly. Step dad also addressed a letter to blood son explaining why he was not leaving him anything. I don't know whether he has received that or not yet. I will check with the solicitor on Monday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure