Discussion ... ASHP(Air/Air) with Solar pv ....

Comments

• JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mgbond wrote: »
    I understand the winter months will be hard but then the battery will be charged over night at the cheap rate so still covering peak times and I hope ASHP, so need to size battery accordingly. Oh and I live in the Sunniest place in the uk (officially) lol

I never got my system working to charge the battery from E7 but if I had one of my concerns was that if I did so the next day might turn out to be brilliantly sunny. I would be starting the day with a full battery so wouldn’t be able to take advantage of any spare solar. I would have paid E7 rates for the charge when I could have had it free from solar. Not an issue in December or January but on good days in November or February it would be quite annoying. Weather forecasts are notoriously unreliable as we saw last week with a brilliant sunny day after full cloud cover was predicted.

So where is the sunniest place in the UK, (officially)?
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    JKenH wrote: »
    I never got my system working to charge the battery from E7 but if I had one of my concerns was that if I did so the next day might turn out to be brilliantly sunny. I would be starting the day with a full battery so wouldn’t be able to take advantage of any spare solar. I would have paid E7 rates for the charge when I could have had it free from solar. Not an issue in December or January but on good days in November or February it would be quite annoying. Weather forecasts are notoriously unreliable as we saw last week with a brilliant sunny day after full cloud cover was predicted.

So where is the sunniest place in the UK, (officially)?
    Hi

That's why you need a pretty sophisticated energy management system that automatically varies the E7 maximum & minimum charge percentages according to time of year, possibly even looking at the next day's weather forecast to refine the levels & optimise performance.

The issue with looking to use E7 to charge the battery in the winter is that you often lose the opportunity to source the best daytime tariff (such as zero SC offerings) which provides considerable summertime savings when PV generation is high in order to reduce the winter bills when E7 is really needed ... add to this the round-trip & standing losses inherent in the battery system & a household with anywhere near average electricity usage is unlikely to show much of a saving, if any at all!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • mgbond
    mgbond Posts: 86 Forumite
    Bognor Regis. Well sometimes as Eastbourne can take it’s crown. Lol
    I get that it wouldn’t always work but the point is to use the battery for peak time 4-7 and run the heat pump in the evening if required (could be for cooling if a hot summer)
    6kWp system, 20 x 300W Longi Solar panels with a Solis 6.0 inverter + Wifi and iBoost
    22deg pitch East to west 12 panels on the East and 8 on the West
  • mgbond
    I’m With “Bulb” and when I go on the smart tarif it will be about 11p 7am-4pm, 41p 4pm-7pm, 11p 7pm-11pm and the. 7p 11pm-7am
    6kWp system, 20 x 300W Longi Solar panels with a Solis 6.0 inverter + Wifi and iBoost
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    mgbond wrote: »
    I’m With “Bulb” and when I go on the smart tarif it will be about 11p 7am-4pm, 41p 4pm-7pm, 11p 7pm-11pm and the. 7p 11pm-7am
    Hi

... so have you calculated what you'll likely be paying per unit when the standing charge is amortised? ... or do those costs reflect zero a standing charge offer?

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • mgbond
    No. Not done that yet as I’m not sure there is one. But probably there is. To be honest all my electric from grid comes from %100 renewable and I want to use ASHP to avoid using Gas as that’s harder to be %100 renewable. So I wanted an off peak cheap rate to charge the Battery if Solar doesn’t quite do it on the days of not good sun and winter. But to get that rate you get hammered on a peak rate so trying to avoid that.
  • JKenH
    I have been very pleased with my Mitsubishi ASHP in our living room so have just ordered another for the dining kitchen - this time a 2.0kw one. What most impressed me most was how quiet the unit is on its ultra low 19db setting.

The COP is only 4.0 on the 3.5kw one and 4.35 on the 2.0kw model so I did consider going for the top of the range model which has a COP in excess of 5 but it was 20% more expensive. As I run the existing one most of the time on solar I didn’t feel the extra cost was worth it.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • JKenH
    I ran my 3.5 kw ASHP today for a full 12 hours raising the temperature of a 38 sqm (409 sq ft) room with the door open from 20C to 23C. Yes, it is nice and toasty so have just turned the heater off and closed the door for the rest of the evening. I had plugged the ASHP into a Energenie power monitor and recorded a total usage of 4.7 kWh which equates to 392w per hour over the 12 hour period. The heater was operated on the Eco Auto setting.

Unfortunately I have no means of measuring the heat output of the ASHP so some may consider the above information of little use but it is an indication that an ASHP can be run very economically in a large room and raise and sustain the temperature at a very comfortable level for an input of less than 400watts.
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,634 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JKenH wrote: »
    I ran my 3.5 kw ASHP today for a full 12 hours raising the temperature of a 38 sqm (409 sq ft) room with the door open from 20C to 23C. Yes, it is nice and toasty so have just turned the heater off and closed the door for the rest of the evening. I had plugged the ASHP into a Energenie power monitor and recorded a total usage of 4.7 kWh which equates to 392w per hour over the 12 hour period. The heater was operated on the Eco Auto setting.

Unfortunately I have no means of measuring the heat output of the ASHP so some may consider the above information of little use but it is an indication that an ASHP can be run very economically in a large room and raise and sustain the temperature at a very comfortable level for an input of less than 400watts.

I've been running my ASHP for a couple of hours in the morning and about three hours in the evening for the last few days, which is plenty to keep the back of the bungalow warm, at about the same 400W power levels. The bonus for me is that at this time of year my E7 night rate ends at 08:30 so I can run the ASHP using cheaper night rate electricity in the mroning. The low power consumption also means that it is entirely practical to run the ASHP off the battery in the evening. The battery is charged with E7 electricity.

If you make the assumption that 400W electrcity in gives about 1kWh heat out, it's costing me about 2p/kWh at the moment for heating, making this cheaper than gas even on a kWh per kWh basis. And this is without taking into account the control benefits of only delivering exactly the right amount of heat when and where you want it. To say nothing of the environmental CO2 emmissions benefit, with a higher proportion of overnight electricity coming from nuclear and RE sources.

I actually bought the ASHP earlier in the year primarily to use for summer aircon, with any heating use a benefit. As it happens, it's going to save me a worthwhile amount as a shoulder months heating solution as well as making a nice dent in my greenhouse gas emissions.
  • JKenH
    mmmmikey wrote: »
    I've been running my ASHP for a couple of hours in the morning and about three hours in the evening for the last few days, which is plenty to keep the back of the bungalow warm, at about the same 400W power levels. The bonus for me is that at this time of year my E7 night rate ends at 08:30 so I can run the ASHP using cheaper night rate electricity in the mroning. The low power consumption also means that it is entirely practical to run the ASHP off the battery in the evening. The battery is charged with E7 electricity.

If you make the assumption that 400W electrcity in gives about 1kWh heat out, it's costing me about 2p/kWh at the moment for heating, making this cheaper than gas even on a kWh per kWh basis. And this is without taking into account the control benefits of only delivering exactly the right amount of heat when and where you want it. To say nothing of the environmental CO2 emmissions benefit, with a higher proportion of overnight electricity coming from nuclear and RE sources.

I actually bought the ASHP earlier in the year primarily to use for summer aircon, with any heating use a benefit. As it happens, it's going to save me a worthwhile amount as a shoulder months heating solution as well as making a nice dent in my greenhouse gas emissions.

So I’m not the only one who stands outside watching the meter to see what time it switches to E7.:).. in my case it is 08.36.

It’s my first year with ASHPs and second year with solar. Last year nothing got switched on if the sun wasn’t shining (until the wife protested) but this year I am going to try living a normal life. I got my first ASHP at the end of January and second end of April and am still working out how to get the best out of them. Like you, in the spring, I was operating the kitchen unit on the inbuilt timer to come on at 6.30 am (yes we do have PV at 6.30 from late April) to get the house warm for breakfast then only using them during the day and evening if we felt cold, letting the IBoost take any surplus. Yesterday was a bit of an experiment as It was cool enough to run a heater all day and had limited solar - just over 4kwh (almost typical winter day PV). As a result the IBoost only saw 0.17 kWh and as that had followed a couple of below average days I wasn’t sure if we would have enough hot water this morning for showers but we did - just.

The plan for this winter is to run the ASHPs most of the time (using as much free solar PV as possible) in preference to oil CH and top the water tanks up overnight with E7. That means the IBoost will only be useful on sunnier days but it is cheaper and more efficient (less heat loss) to heat the water overnight and use my ASHPs during the day. As we have a big house and only 2 ASHPs I will probably have to run the oil CH for an hour in the morning and one in the evening as well.

I noted that you were only assuming a COP of 2.4. Is that something you have calculated? The COP of my 3.5 kw heater is supposed to be 4.0 and the 2.0 kw one 4.3 but I have no means of checking if this is true in practice. ( I seem to recall reading they are more efficient when operating at low power and when the temperature differential to outside is not too large).

At an efficiency factor of 2.4 my daytime use would be slightly more expensive, at 6.25 per kWh, than oil at, 5.2p per kWh, but maybe cheaper once I factor in the cost of powering the CH pump. I like your point though about the targeted nature of the heat from ASHP as my wife loves to sit directly underneath the unit and have the vanes forcing the airflow straight at her.

Today with clear blue skies (at the moment) one ASHP is on, building up core temperature, along with the washing machine and the IBoost is still getting fed. Happy days.:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback