Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2018

Comments

• stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Cleofish, you already seem prepared for the Vegas heat and I believe current daily temps are raising over 100F. You are right keep hydrated, stay inside etc. I suppose the tolerance to the heat depends how seasoned you are to that sort of climate.

From my experience of Vegas in August all I wanted to do was sit and relax by the pool then go for a siesta in the afternoon, then come alive late afternoon.

I would just see how you go and after a day or two in the heat your body will know if it can cope or not.

A three day bus pass for $20 is good value, it will get you up and down the strip to the malls and further. You will soon realise how far apart places are on the strip so will be glad to jump a bus.

Not sure what the go card is but morning or evening may be a better time to do things outside.

As for staying up again if you keep hydrated, have a sleep on the plane etc you should be able to stay up. Try to resist going to bed in the afternoon when you arrive as that can often lead to losing the rest of the day. You will still probably wake up early hours until your body clock acclimatises.

Have a great time
  • messalina79
    messalina79 Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Crisis averted, it seems the buffets are accessible through the MyVegas Facebook game (though I seem to have been the only person worried about it!).

If anyone's interested, the Spice Market Buffet (Planet Hollywood) is back on Groupon - $45 for two with a glass of wine/beer. This is a smaller, less high-end buffet than Caesars or Bellagio, but we think it's great, lots of choice and the food is good quality, I would recommend. Plus you get seated pretty quickly, no long queues.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/spice-market-buffet-planet-hollywood-las-vegas-15
  • messalina79
    cleofish wrote: »
    The flight will land in Las vegas 12pm local time (uk time 8pm) realistically how long will we be able to stay up in Las vegas on that first day? Im planning on having a sleep on the plane but i know it doesnt always end up that way. Im trying to figure out what to do on the monday, how has everyone else coped?

You are going to have a great time! Re the heat, yes, it will be unlike anything you've experienced before. Drink lots of water, try and have a bottle with you at all times. The air is DRY out there, plus the aircon in the buildings takes it out of you. As pp have said also, don't try and walk too far, things seem closer than they are (on our first trip to Vegas we decided to try walking to the Rio from the Bellagio. 45 mins later, it still some distance away, we conceded this wasn't the best idea we've ever had :D). If you walk to the LV sign, definitely do it morning or evening.

When you arrive, DON'T SLEEP! Go to your room, unpack, have a shower and then have a wander around. Try and have something to eat. If you can even stay awake till 6/7pm you will have made all the difference and will be on track to be pretty much normal the next day.
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Spice Market Buffet = Dam good !!! :D:D
    Why ?
    Cos of the 'Yukon Gold' mash potato & gravy ! I ate just that, tasted amazing !

On the note of Dinner Buffets, we did 2 this year...
    Bellagio (Sunday night - for 3, it would have cost $162)
    Luxor (using myvegas for the 3 of us, would have cost $28)

Safe to say: Luxor buffet = Super Yummy and good normal food choice!
    Bellagio = sucked, glad we don't have to pay for food!
    I guess like anywhere, they cater for particular tastes which is fair enough :)
  • messalina79
    The Bellagio buffet has definitely gone downhill - when I first went about 10 years ago it was excellent, great range of food and still had the table service. They ditched that a couple of years ago, and seemed to downgrade the food as well. Definitely not what it was. Interesting to hear about the Luxor though, haven't been there since they revamped it. It was awful before.

Avoid at all costs the Paradise Garden buffet in the Flamingo <shudder>.
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Funnily enough I've gone to the Bellagio buffet for years, and still like it. I'm vegetarian though, so perhaps it's the meaty and seafood items that have gone downhill.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,520 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The only buffet we do in Vegas is M Resort. $17? for lunch with unlimited beer and wine included, as well as specialality coffees. They also have the rootbeer from Ellis Island there as well on draft.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,520 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have a trip booked for 13-21st August and shame upon shame we are not spending it all at the Platinum.

Gonna use 2 night myvegas at the Mirige to start the trip then move to Platinum.

We could have combined 2+2 but didnt want to stay away from our historical home for that long
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • dan28
    dan28 Posts: 289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Regarding buffets, I really like the breakfast buffet at MGM. You have to take your drinks on your own too but food quality is always solid.
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,494 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have to say I like the Wynn buffet....maybe I'm on my own here.
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport