Which band put out the most albums where nearly all the songs were amazing?

Options

Comments

• CM66
    CM66 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alanis Morisette - Jagged Little Pill!
  • I_am_spartacus
    Options
    Beautiful South.
    Press release announcing their split
    "The Beautiful South have split up due to musical similarities. The band would like to thank everyone for their 19 wonderful years in music."
    Classic!
    I am, therefore I think.

• telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    jaredlt wrote: »
    I thought about Bowie, but then I disqualified him as he has such a huge discography. I just assumed he'd have to have a few dud albums in there :).
    Most of Bowies early stuff right through the Gernan years are amazing (Pin Ups excepted), he then hit another rich seam of form towards the end of his life.

But inbetween, there is some stuff best forgotten. The day he passed, my son and I listened to his whole diskography (over two days), we nearly gave up at Outside (1995), and lost the will on Heathen (2002), but I'm proud to say we made it, and the end was well, well worth it.

But with at least 14 "no filler" albums, Bowie has to be in the running.
    Carpenters, Led Zepp ..etc, etc didn't produce enough albums to come close. Even the Beatles only made 13 studio albums (in 7 years!). The Stones might give Bowie a run, I'd have to go back and count :-)
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 March 2018 at 3:17AM
    Options
    Most of the earlier (10 years ago or more) albums by Muse

Annie Lennox Bare, Diva and Medusa...in fact all her albums are great- totally think she'd be top of my list- most of her albums are slow burners though;
    you really need to hear them in full, in the context of the rest of the album and message she is trying to get across and then take in the music itself to realise how brilliant they are. Some albums were more on my wavelength than others, but they are all very strong albums.

Madonna's earlier stuff would have been on the list and there are a few albums there it would be ignorant to avoid (and remember the context they were released in before you start to cast stones!) but not so great these days IMO.

Tori Amos's earlier albums, she's not doing too badly now, I'm not sure if it's me or her music but the first dozen or so albums were stand out to me, but the last 10 years not so.

One Republic; most of the time I think they produce pretty stand out songs, but maybe not enough albums yet to really test time.

and a pretty unheard of artist Charlotte Martin. She no longer makes music (or not for the rest of the world) after retiring not long ago but fans of earlier Tori Amos and Lissie should give her a listen, not one of her albums were duds and I am so sad there wont be any more.

~Yeah, I don't find there are as many stand-out albums or artists around these days, most who are started in the era before digital music came along and "flattened" the passion out of everything, none seem to have as much staying power as those dated 10 20 or more years ago. I don't know what exactly has happened with music today but I wish they'd put it back so more variation and new styles can be put out there rather than the current wave of bum implants, crotch holding mono-toned bland (tries to find word that wont be asterisked out) "musak" that currently gets shoved in everyone's face on every advert, every background shop sound or just blasted by some yob on a tinney shallow mobile phone speaker on a bus who doesn't seem to understand what earphones are.
  • Techno_Mystic
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    shame that several respondents didn't read (or maybe understand) the question.
    Yes, this is about consistency over many years.

I am not a fan of theirs, but Depeche Mode seem to have kept up the quality over the years, judging by the fervour of their fans. The band themselves apparently don't like A Broken Frame, although my personal favourite Leave In Silence is on that album.
  • Lucyxx
    Lucyxx Posts: 3,147 Forumite
    Options
    In my opinion ;
    Linkin Park
    David Bowie
    Pink
    The Carpenters

Seriously I can listen to every song with the above. Though with Linkin Park I discount the album they did with Jay-Z.

Linkin Park for me too. Some fans didn't like the way the albums changed over the must be around 20 years? but I loved/love seeing the progression and seeing which direction they'd go next with each release.

I didn't mind the Jay Z stuff at all, I actually saw them perform with him at Milton Keynes Bowl at their Projeckt Revolution all day show and it was absolute amazing. Wasn't a fan of the guy before (and I don't listen to solo Jay Z even now) but there was just something about them together that was absolute magic! What a night that was :T
  • LunaaLouuby
    LunaaLouuby Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Beatles, definitely. And my personal favourite Paramore.
  • November2
    November2 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I love many bands and singers but I don't feel the same about all their albums, they may include a couple of 'great songs' but the rest feel and sound like fillers, however one band that never faltered producing high quality albums throughout their career was The Cars.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Elvis
    Beatles
    Rolling Stones
    Eagles
    Deep Purple
    Dire Straits
    Queen
    Elton John