Funeral Plan alternative

Comments

• tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I told my executor (and main beneficiaŕy) that my house is my funeral plan so the more they spend on that, the less there is for them.
    Hopefully this means I will get what I really want (that is the cheapest possible)
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    tealady wrote: »
    I told my executor (and main beneficiaŕy) that my house is my funeral plan so the more they spend on that, the less there is for them.
    Hopefully this means I will get what I really want (that is the cheapest possible)

Does your executor have the money themselves to pay for your funeral? Because that will have to happen long before they can get any money from the sale of your house. And of course there's no saying what will happen in the future so there may be no house to sell at that point if you've had to go into care.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    M'father in law said to leave him for the bin - and his wife & daughter promptly disobeyed him to the hilt with an everything-short-of-the-kitchen-sink cremation.

I think it made them happier but I was baffled at how much money was thrown at it.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,633
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I have just paid for mine with the co op they are the only ones to include all third party payments.

I did this too, as did my late mother. The only thing not included in her's were the flowers on the coffin. I am hoping my plan sits there unused for another 20 years at least. But like my will - it is sorted!
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,244
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    badmemory wrote: »
    I did this too, as did my late mother. The only thing not included in her's were the flowers on the coffin. I am hoping my plan sits there unused for another 20 years at least. But like my will - it is sorted!

Mines the same just flowers not included but I am happy to leave that to my Son.
    I have done my will and P.O.A and at 66 years old like you hope I have many years left!
  • Bonbon
    Bonbon Posts: 564 Forumite
    I've also prepaid mine with the Co op.
    If you join the Co op ( I did it online and it costs £1) then as a member you get £200 off the price of any plan.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Does your executor have the money themselves to pay for your funeral? Because that will have to happen long before they can get any money from the sale of your house. And of course there's no saying what will happen in the future so there may be no house to sell at that point if you've had to go into care.

If there is no money then they can refuse the responsibility.
    Then the taxpayers will have to get rid of me.
    I won't be around to care either way.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Information at
    https://www.hta.gov.uk/donating-your-body

Note you usually have to die within the local area of an accepting medical school, not of any nasty diseases, and preferably Mon-Fri during office hours :-)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • missile wrote: »
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    If, however, the death occurs at home or in a nursing home, it would be advisable to turn off all heating where the body lies and open a window if possible.

Unfortunately we are unable to accepts bequests during the major public holidays at Christmas and New Year, as the university closes down over this period. During these times next-of-kin are advised to make their own funeral arrangements.
    https://www.ed.ac.uk/biomedical-sciences/anatomy/bodydonation/notification
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • they can leave me at the back door to the crem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport