PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How do you do to move out and in in the same day?

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 April 2018 at 11:08PM
    leon103 wrote: »
    Hopefully moving beginning of may. Contract says we will have to be out by 1pm. Going to be a mad morning with two little ones. Luckily we are only moving across the road so hopefully we will move all out garden furniture and garage items over before hand. Most furniture can be moved without dismantling.

1pm is a stupid time and with our buyers coming across the country I hope that gives more time to move and clean

1pm is usually the time when the house stops belonging to you and starts to belong to the people who have bought it. That is what completion is it is the time that you sell the house. You are not allowed to be in the house after 1pm because it is no longer your house so you have got to have removed everything from the house by then. The fact that your buyers may not be ready to move in then doesn't alter the fact that it is their house and you are not allowed to leave your things in someone else's property.

You also cannot still be doing things in a house that no longer belongs to you. You have to hand the keys in by 1pm and not go back in there as you will no longer own it.

There seems to be a lot of people who don't understand what completion means. Completion is when the money from the buyers goes into the account of the sellers. When that happens the house no longer belongs to the sellers and it is owned by the buyers. If completion is at 1pm that means the time when the house is owned by the buyers. This time has nothing to do with when the sellers feel like moving out or cleaning. At 1pm the sellers no longer own the house so they have no right to be in there or leave anything in there or be still moving out. The fact that buyers might not be moving in at 1pm doesn't alter the fact that is it their house then and no one else has the right to be in it.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Tea , coffee, milk, sugar, mugs, kettle, in a box "WANTED ON VOYAGE" - last on, first off,
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    When we exchanged and completed the same day, and moved ourselves, I knew 2 weeks before hand so had plenty of time

I packed into boxes ( leaving only the essentials) and as I emptied a cupboard , cleaned it. As a room was boxed up - cleaned it

Took about two hours to load the van, then a once around with the hoover and mop, we were outside our new home for 1pm

Everything in and the van returned by 4pm

Sure the only things we unpacked that night were bed and bathroom things but thats all we needed. I had my box with kettle, tea, cups etc to hand

You know, I wouldn't be too particular about leaving the place 100% spotless. Obviously clean it but Ive always spent the following day of a move cleaning the new place before I start unpacking. I think most people do
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Tea , coffee, milk, sugar, mugs, kettle, in a box "WANTED ON VOYAGE" - last on, first off,

I would add to that list loo paper,soap and a towel.
    Also pack a complete change of clothers for every one (ready for the next day).
    When you do move in make sure the beds are made asap, nothing worse than being ready for bed after a busy day and it isn't made.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This is why a gap between Excange and Completion helps. Is essential.

Until Exchange, you can't really pack or book removals (or friends!) as things can get delayed or even fall apart completely (as you've found before).

But in that (2 week?) gap from Exchange to Completion you can graddually pack everything except the bare essentials, room by room, and clean.

Completion day therefore is just the final bits of packing, and the physical removals. Friends etc are fine if you have limited stuff: are you single? 1 or 2 bed flat? no kids? But if it's a 4 bed house, 2 adults plus kids' stuff to move? That's a lot to ask of your friends!

What you can do before Exchange is de-clutter. Clear out everything you don't want, then use Ebay or the local tip etc.
  • PThome
    PThome Posts: 46 Forumite
    Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and for your suggestions.

I am moving from a 2 bed flat and I have a small daughter. In terms of de-clutter we are not too bad (also because we don't have the space :p). My idea was to pack during the time between exchange and completion (and I thought we would have at least 2 weeks) however our buyer wants to complete ASAP and we are happy with that as we don't want to upset him and loose him :D

In an ideal scenario, I would prefer to book 2-3 nights in a B&B, pack everything and removal company to collect the day before completion and then use that day to clean everything (is not that bad, as I did an extensive cleaning before putting it in the market and I've been keeping it ok), but I will have to do a general cleaning before leaving (for example yesterday I noticed the windows already need cleaning again :().

I'll try to ask the removal company if they can collect the day before. But is this reasonable? And is this going to increase a lot the price?

Thank you
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    All really good advice.

We moved 5 weeks ago. We booked a part pack service, mainly kitchen things and all the fragile stuff, china etc. Worth pointing out here to check the removal firms insurance terms, you may not be covered for broken items that you pack yourself. As we were downsizing we manically decluttered, at least 20 trips to the tip.

We moved 85 miles and put the cat into a cattery about half way, 2 days before. We retrieved her 3 days after we moved so we were a bit straighter. We moved from a large house so had plenty of room to stack boxes and cleaned as we went. We packed 2 cars with essentials, refreshments (our moving bods could eat biscuits and cake for England:rotfl:), bedclothes, cleaning stuff etc.

It really is worth paying for a professional removal company, member of BAR. Ours had won awards and provided useful extras such as large padded covers for tv, furniture etc.

Good luck with your move
  • PThome wrote: »
    (for example yesterday I noticed the windows already need cleaning again :().

Sod cleaning the windows. How dirty can they be???

As you're selling, you don't need a deposit back from a landlord, and there's hardly likely to be anything in your contract of sale specifying cleanliness.

I really would not bother cleaning the chuffing windows when you've got your stuff to pack and a little daughter. Have fun with her instead.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    How about moving some stuff into storage a few days before so you have less to move on the day itself?

Ive never tried this, jist an idea as we have a big self storage warehouse 5 minutes away!
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    The easiest way I found is to clean as you go, pack up non essentials as early as possible on the last day drag a couple of mattresses into one room and camp out, allocate one bathroom to be used and opt for a takeout dinner, moving day just a quick swipe over with the hover as the rooms are empty if they need it, when last box is in the van quick clean of the bathroom and good to go.
    Moving is messy your buyers only concern is that your out and they can move in so don't worry to much your have enough cleaning to do the other end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure