wife offered job but no contract during probationary period

Hi,

my wife is due to start a new job in July, and has received an offer letter from the new company.

Prior to handing in her notice with her current employer, she has asked for a contract from the new employers.

They have today got in touch saying that there will be no contract until her 3 month probationary period is over.

To my understanding, there should be a contract in place right from the word go (with a probationary period included in that) - am i correct in this assumption?

She will be setting up some background systems as part of the role, and what we don't want is for the employer to get rid of her once she has got the systems up and running.

thank you for any input
Savings aim for 2012: £5000 = £416.60 per month

Current Savings excluding M&G Investments (18/11/11):
Britannia: £5334

Total Aim for 31/12/12: £10,334

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    markyyyyyy wrote: »
    She will be setting up some background systems as part of the role, and what we don't want is for the employer to get rid of her once she has got the systems up and running.

During the first 2 years of employment, an employee may be dismissed without reason. But the dismissal must not be because of a protected characteristic
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • markyyyyyy
    markyyyyyy Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 April 2018 at 6:15PM
    During the first 2 years of employment, an employee may be dismissed without reason. But the dismissal must not be because of a protected characteristic

thanks for your reply
    what do you mean by a protected characteristic in terms of this situation?

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If someone was dismissed because of their gender, race, religion, sexual orientation,or a disability. This does not mean that people with these characteristics cannot be dismissed just that it isn't because of the characteristic.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    thanks for your reply
    what do you mean by a protected characteristic in terms of this situation?

Race, sex etc

Whilst you don't need a written contract I personally wouldn't accept a job without one and definitely wouldn't hand my notice in with my current employer until I had a signed copy in my possession.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why does the current employer need contract of new one. I!!!8217;ve never heard this before.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• markyyyyyy
    markyyyyyy Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sncjw wrote: »
    Why does the current employer need contract of new one. I!!!8217;ve never heard this before.

i mean that my wife wants a contract from her new employer before handing in her notice

• Yes hold in out for something in writing you are happy with.

To much 'third party' employment going on - well that's what happened to me when I just thought the current were laxe not letting me know of policies and I didn't seem to have much in way of particulars - 3 months on and at the same time roughly as apparently 'probation passed' and a lot of grief I learnt who I thought was paying my wage was not correct at all. Couldn't believe it but of course all of a sudden it makes sense.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    edited 13 April 2018 at 7:42AM
    Hi,

my wife is due to start a new job in July, and has received an offer letter from the new company.

Prior to handing in her notice with her current employer, she has asked for a contract from the new employers.

They have today got in touch saying that there will be no contract until her 3 month probationary period is over.

To my understanding, there should be a contract in place right from the word go (with a probationary period included in that) - am i correct in this assumption?

thank you for any input

AIUI a written contract doesn't have to be supplied. A written statement with the major points in should be supplied within the two months.

I don't do a contract until about a month in, just in case someone finds the job is not for them.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    The contract exists from day one.

why would an employer not tell the employee what T&C they are expecting them to work to.

you can do it with a combination of a simple letter and a set of standard docs that everyone works too so you don't even need to use any paper they can be electronic.

As a potential employee you get as much as you can in writing that forms the contract until told something else and can override the standard terms, you can go back as far as the advert for the job and can put stuff your acceptance letter that will form part of hte contract.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    we'll write a letter confirming your appointment, start date, salary and hours before you start, plus usually conditional on references. If asked, we'll confirm references are OK.

Statement of t&c legally required within 8 weeks, I believe, but no really effective remedy if it doesn't appear ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport