Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Options

Comments

• tlcgrantham
    Options
    Glad you're getting better discounts lately.
  • tlcgrantham
    Options
    Winter Shaker Cost £10.01 Worth £16.15 @ 38% discount
    Winter Shaker Cost £16.57 Worth £25.49 @ 35% discount
    Simple Saver. Cost £6.51. Worth £8.08. @ 19.4% discount
    Major Saver. Cost £13.80 Worth £16.99 @ 18.8% discount
    Little Extra. Cost £5.68 Worth £6.71. @ 15.4% discount
    Smarty Pants Cost £6.90 Worth £8.12 @ 15% discount
    May future 2x Cost £4.71 Worth £5.75 @ 18% discount
    May future 2x Cost £9.10 Worth £10.58 @ 14% discount
  • Equites
    Equites Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Here are Powershop's December offerings..
    (as ever for reference, 2nd year with them, only for electricity, annual usage c.4000kWh).

1 x Winter Shaker @ 38% (equivalent to 8 days usage)
    1 x Little Extra Pack @ 21.5% (equivalent to 3 days usage)
    1 x Simple Saver @ 19.4% (equivalent to 4 days usage)
    2 x May Future Packs @ 14% (equivalent to 12 days usage in total)
    No Jumbo pack this month.

So basically the same discount offerings as last month.
    It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Powershop (if anything) in light of the dramatic restructuring about to start at Npower - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50598505.
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Equites wrote: »
    It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Powershop (if anything) in light of the dramatic restructuring about to start at Npower - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50598505.

I guess it depends if Powershop is still a separate company or now just a sub-brand of Npower.
  • Equites
    Equites Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another special pack out - Merry Market Special Pack.
    In my case it has a acceptable 30% discount for the equivalent of 5 days electricity.
  • fewkeste
    Options
    fewkeste wrote: »
    I guess it depends if Powershop is still a separate company or now just a sub-brand of Npower.

Anyone know the answer to this?
  • tlcgrantham
    Options
    Merry Market special pack Cost £8.36 Worth £10.45 discount 20%
    Though I've achieved 30% discount since starting my 2nd year at the beginning of October that's only because of the future packs purchased in the summer along with Winter Shaker packs. Apart from 3 modest sized packs at 25% discount everything else I've been offered has not exceeded 20%. Going forward SSE, EDF, People's Energy, Yorkshire Energy all have cheaper tariffs which I will consider.
  • fewkeste
    edited 6 December 2019 at 7:02PM
    Options
    ....Though I've achieved 30% discount since starting my 2nd year at the beginning of October that's only because of the future packs purchased in the summer along with Winter Shaker packs. Apart from 3 modest sized packs at 25% discount everything else I've been offered has not exceeded 20%. Going forward SSE, EDF, People's Energy, Yorkshire Energy all have cheaper tariffs which I will consider.

I was in a similar position in my last months with Powershop. I had a good amount of well discounted credit in my 'pot' and could see that very little well discounted credit was being made available going forward.

I took the decision to move to Yorkshire Energy at a tariff that was equal to achieving a PS discount of over 20% month after month with no 'pack anxiety'. I sort of 'glided' in my last few months with PS and saw my PS credit balance gradually fall and only purchased packs with a discount equal to or greater than my Top Shopper discount when they became available.

Even though I was leaving I still bought well discounted packs because they displaced less well discounted packs in the account section where it shows what packs will be used to fund the next bill.

I did this because I knew PS were good and quick refunders.

When I eventually left them I had just over £100 in credit and that was returned to me after approximately two weeks.

Good luck with whichever supplier you select.

One reason I still subscribe to this thread (apart from the fact I originally started it) is that if PS prices become competitive again I would be only too happy to return to them - I experienced excellent customer service whilst I was with them.

P.S. I forgot to add - as I indicated above, I'm with Yorkshire Energy and I can recommend them. Their website is basic compared to Powershop but perfectly usable. It's just been revamped as well. I noticed they've got a really long fixed tariff available at present (fixed until some time in 2021 I believe) so that's something to consider.
  • GBD
    Options
    There is a large variance in discounts and the values offered that folks have posted on this forum. As a PS electric user only, I have got these offers this month (December 2019):

Beat the Rise Special Pack: £45.72 & £91.44 (Baseline Tariff) Discount = 50 %
    Winter Shaker £17.55 & £28.31 (Baseline Tariff) Discount = 38.01 %
    Merry Market Pack £15.10 & £18.87 (BaselineTariff) Discount = 19.98 %

I do not know if "Beat the Rise Special Pack" is a one off as I have not seen anyone else stating that they have been offered this special pack this month. The discount and total value are substantial. I received an Email from them relating to this special pack on Thursday 6th December 2019 which stated the following:
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    All good things must come to an end. Your previous tariff, Baseline 2018 Version 1, ended and you moved onto our new Baseline tariff, Baseline Elec 2019 Version 3, on 10 October 2019.
    We have put an additional special pack in your shop, to help you keep your original Top Shopper saving for a little while longer, plus some additional discounts to cover you since you moved onto our new Baseline tariff.
    Grab our Beat The Rise Special Pack today to carry on saving.
    About your new tariff
    You can find out more about your new Powershop Pro Baseline Tariff at:
    h###s://secure.powershop.co.uk/rates
    If you're happy to remain on our new Baseline Tariff you don't have to do anything. You'll be able to buy your energy in exactly the same way, and you'll continue to make great savings when you buy Powerpacks. The unit rate you pay for any energy not covered by Powerpacks is fixed for twelve months from 10 October 2019
    _________________________________________________________________________________

My new tariff is:

Baseline Unit Charge = 18.21 p/kW.hr (Baseline Elec 2019 Version 3)
    Topshopper Unit Charge = 14.56 p/kW.hr (Top Shopper Elec 2019 Version 3)
    Standing Charge = 23.64 p/day (Baseline) & 20.09 p/day (Top Shopper)
    Tariff End Date = 9th October 2020

The standing charge rates are excessive compared to a number of other suppliers.
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gbd without question I would use any high discount packs left in your pot and leave. Those prices are excessive. One thing I noticed in my last month's with powershop was the standing charge creeping up. 23.64p per day is hideous. Even with a 25% discount, (if that's achievable) your looking at In excess of 17.64p per day and a unit charge of around 14p per kWh. Both are easily beatable by several other companies
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback