British Gas Raising Minimum PAYG Payment from £1 to £5 Immediately!

Comments

• Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Simbad wrote: »
    You can seriously go jump with this comment!

If you don't want to accept you have a budgeting problem and sort it out then your just going to be stuck in the same situation. No matter how much you blame other companies for changing their rules it won't help you sort it out.
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Topping up with British Gas is very expensive and people on benefit's even those in unsecure work are forced to pay these charges.
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Michaelw wrote: »
    ...people on benefit's even those in unsecure work are forced to pay these charges.

No they are not! A suggestion has already been made above. Other companies provide PAYG cheaper than British Gas. Switch!
  • Epizone
    Epizone Posts: 13 Forumite
    We were aware last summer that British Gas were switching from Paypoint to Payzone in the new year.

Paypoint has 28,000 outlets across the country, whilst payzone only has 13,000 outlets.

To put that into perspective, we have 2 paypoint outlets within about 5 minutes walk, whereas our nearest payzone outlet would involve a return journey of about 5 miles! :eek:

So to save an expensive bus or taxi fare, why not get yourself a smart meter? British Gas will fit them for free, and you can then top up from the comfort of your own home via the BG app or website, or even by phone (although call costs may apply) and still top up as little as £1.00

Simples :cool:
  • Epizone
    Epizone Posts: 13 Forumite
    Simbad wrote: »
    I have just received an email from British Gas informing me of changes that will become effective on 2nd December (yep, 2 days ago!).

One is the Payzone switch.

But the other thing is that they will be increasing the minimum top up payment on PAYG meters from £1 to £5.

I understood the change in minimum payment is coincident with the change from Paypoint to Payzone.

The change from Paypoint to Payzone does not occur until 1st January 2020.
  • Michaelw
    edited 8 December 2019 at 6:50PM
    Andy_WSM wrote: »
    No they are not! A suggestion has already been made above. Other companies provide PAYG cheaper than British Gas. Switch!

Its being on smart meters that are prepayment and these are not supported in this mode by other suppliers.I don't want to be held on the phone for an engineer to arrive to resore my gas supply in the event of failing by a smaller company that could collapse at anytime.It was better with the old card/key type through the post then the switch took place.These SMETS1 meters should never have been installed they are interim/legacy technology.I don't want to be forced into credit meter mode as was shown on the EDF site by another supplier under expensive direct debits.
    Epizone wrote: »
    We were aware last summer that British Gas were switching from Paypoint to Payzone in the new year.

Paypoint has 28,000 outlets across the country, whilst payzone only has 13,000 outlets.

Payzone tend to off licences.Being a leading supplier British Gas shouildn't be restricting choice to their customers'.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I have 9 payzone's in the whole of my city, bit miffed as I can't walk to any of them.

As it's a rental I'm not changing the pre-pay meter to a credit meter as I assume the landlord had it installed for a reason.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • I have 9 payzone's in the whole of my city, bit miffed as I can't walk to any of them.

As it's a rental I'm not changing the pre-pay meter to a credit meter as I assume the landlord had it installed for a reason.

you as a tennant can change PAYG suplier tho , try bulb or others
  • Michaelw
    This is the problem with smart prepayment SMETS1.

Smart prepayment meters will be switched to credit

Your smart prepayment meter will be switched to a credit meter by your supplier before you join us. This means you'll pay for your energy through Direct Debit.

https://bulb.co.uk/

It also means messages about low batteries won't be recived by the supplier however,British Gas didn't know my smart electricity meter wasn't charging anything until I pointed it out.
  • Simbad
    Simbad Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well, seems that me and all the other British Gas customers complaining worked!  B)

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/british-gas-to-drop-minimum-top-up-for-prepayment-energy-custome/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure