Medical Retirement

Options
Hi I would be grateful for any advice please on medical retirement. I work for a local authority and have a long term health condition and disability that is progressive. My employer over the years has made reasonable adjustments to enable me to continue to work albeit in a limited capacity and a specific job role created for me. I work part time and have agreed flexibility of attendance and home working. I have access to work support and recommendations in place. Despite all this support I am at a stage where I cannot continue for much longer. Work has always been a welcome distraction and proved my worth to myself and kept me sane. However it is now far too much for me to manage as my condition has worsened significantly in a short time frame. I would like help please on broaching the medical retirement issue with my employer. I have read the policy for LA Medical retirement and understand the process, however, do I need to exhaust the good will and reasonable adjustments of my employer in home working and flexible hours and/or be off sick to have a chance of a successful application? My employer is well away of my medical issues and recent permanent changes to health and the impact this is having, they are extremely supportive and will do anything to keep me - which in many ways makes things worse. I have a previous civil service pension for 14 years service and a bank pension for 4 years. Would these also be accessible if medical retirement from my current employer was approved or do I have to apply to each employers scheme? Any advice gratefully appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Medical retirement is very hard to achieve unless you are relatively close to retirement age but in the first instance you should try and discuss this with a full time official of your union as they are more likely to have more relevant knowledge than local rep.
    They could then approach your local HR department to open negociations. It would help your case if your employer was looking at reorganisation potential redundancies.
    Sorry to hear that you feel unable to carry on your employment even with the support of management as you say it gives you the feeling of worth.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Medical retirement isn't going to be an easy option. It is actually about not just struggling to work, or even being unable to do your job, but about being unable to do any work. So it isn't something you can just apply for, and it is highly unlikely that your employer would even consider putting you forward until you had exhausted all sick pay and all other alternatives. As you seem to be in work at the moment and your manager is supportive of adjustments to maintain that position, then I'm relatively confident you wouldn't get it now
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got medical retirement (teacher's scheme) a couple of years ago. I agree it is difficult to get, but not impossible. You do need to see your union rep as the schemes all have their own rules. It may be possible for you to get retirement if you can't do your own job, but you may not get any enhancement if you can do another job. The things I found to be important (but again you need to check your own scheme) were:

The support of my medical team, I had three consultants letters and a GP, plus a detailed report letter all of which were clear that, on the balance of probabilty, I would be unable to work again.

I had exhausted all adjustments and my employer sent a report outlining the adjustments that had been tried.

I had about four years of an increasing level of absense and had exhausted my sick pay.

I went through occupational health.

My union had advised against applying and told me to keep fighting for my job. I had no quality of life as it was too much of a struggle to work. I therefore made the decision to apply and was successful. It was the right decision and I can now manage my illness a lot better. The financial hit was huge, but I have used this site for years so was well prepared to cope and had already paid of my mortgage and built up very good savings.

You will need to apply to each of your schemes and depending on their own criteria they may not all make the same decision.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • woodly
    woodly Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, Thank you for your replies and advice. I fully appreciate it is not an easy process hence my early thoughts and trying to forward plan a little if I can. My medical condtion is such that it is deteriorating rapidly and will leave me unable to be redeployed or undertake any gainful employment for any employer. I am already unable to work over 16 hours or longer than a few hours a day and have a unique job role created for my specific needs (as they were). I will contact my Union, they were excellent in assisting me to maintain employment, obtain reasonable adjustments and be moved to a job role that was suited to my then disability and medical needs. Thank you all again for sharing your experiences and knowledge.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What pension are you on ?
    I was on a "Classic pension2 - and took medical retirement, 9 years ago - when I was aged 46
    It is the best thing that I have ever done !
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Although any income will obviously be very helpful if you are granted medical retirement, a bank pension based on 4 yrs service will be quite small unless you were a highly paid merchant banker.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd suggest posting in the retirement and pensions board. There have been many other posts on this subject and tgere are those with relevant knowledge of the lgps scheme that will respond.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport