PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Should first time buyers wait until after Brexit, or rush and buy before 29th March?

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    AntRyan10 wrote: »
    My partner and I are 21 and looking to buy our first home after Christmas. We have tried our best to avoid renting for the past couple of years, and it's finally time to begin our search as we've reached our 'money goal' for our own little place!

You've done well to be buying a £250k property at 21. Particularly as you've been renting for the past "few" years. :think:
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 September 2018 at 10:57PM
    Hi,
    If Brexit causes financial woes houses may get cheaper but credit (mortgages) will be harder to get. If you can afford something where you will be happy for possibly up to ten years then buy and consider a fix for at least 5 years so you have some certainty.

We bought in October 2007 just before the financial crash and although our house value fell by at least 30k very shortly after, our mortgage payments, which would have been over £1000 originally after the two year fix, fell to £580 and stayed low. I also think we wouldn't have got our mortgage after lending criteria tightened in the aftermath of the crash.

Our house value is just about back to the level it was before the financial crash (Cornwall) and may fall again with Brexit but if you don't need to sell the size of your repayments/ affordability is more important than the house value.

You could end up paying less (over the 10/25 years) for a 200k house with low interest rates than a £170 k house with high interest rates.

I wouldn't stretch your affordability too much though - especially if you are high earners as you might find it hard to get another job at that salary level if you were made redundant.

Good luck
    Tlc
  • Don't buy a flat. You are young enough to save for a house. And if the market did collapse while you saved...bingo.
    Been away for a while.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Having sold to rent in the last Crash, I'd gamble on a fall in prices.

However, in a difficult financial situation, those needing mortgages would be hit by tighter lending restrictions, so for you there might be more negatives than positives in a troubled Brexit.

tlc's comments above are pertinent IMO.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm in the process of buying my first flat at the moment. Where I'm looking the price of flats has come down pretty substantially, I assume mainly due to the BTL tax changes and Brexit uncertainty. So it seems a good time to buy.

At the end of the day no one really knows what's going to happen and I think you've just got to get on with life and do what seems right at the time.

Prices could continue to fall, but I think trying to time the market is a bit pointless. I wouldn't be going for it if I didn't feel relatively secure job-wise and had 6 months living costs saved up, though.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • AntRyan10
    AntRyan10 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2018 at 1:43PM
    Thank you guys for all of your opinions and advice. I really appreciate each and every one of them! It's definitely made me think!

We are looking for a long-term home to hopefully stay in throughout our 20s. Therefore with that in mind, I think we're going to carry on looking and if we find somewhere we love, we'll go for it, regardless of Brexit. As most of you have said, nobody can predict what the housing market will do post March, so why should that put a hold on our lives. We need a house and that is all that matters. If we try to wait for the 'perfect' market, we'll be waiting around forever.

Also, we're both in jobs that aren't particularly at risk to Brexit, therefore we're not greatly concerned about our job safety. But again, who knows in this climate!

Thanks again everyone! :)
  • Thrugelmir wrote: »
    You've done well to be buying a £250k property at 21. Particularly as you've been renting for the past "few" years. :think:
    Sorry I think you've misunderstood. We have avoided renting for the past couple of years which has allowed us to save up. Neither of us went to uni therefore we started working full time at 18 and both have decent salaries. Hope that clears it up?
  • Worked in the city and now in a private equity fund investing in real estate here - in no way an expert but at least I get to sit with a bunch of people who work this market, moral of the story: no one has really any clue, and it takes two smart people with two different opinion to create a market and thus a transaction.
    A lot of the funds have pulled out of the UK and freaked out after brexit, that has already happened. Unlike some doom-mongerer in this thread, rates will not increase if Sterling collapse, that muppet at the bank of England lowered rates like there was no tomorrow and printed money like a maniac after the vote. THIS is what destroyed the value of the pound not brexit. If I were you I would be more concerned about the maniac in charge at the BoE right now. Luckily for you he is more concerned about keeping rates low which is good for you and your real estate as long as you own pounds and spend in pounds. </Rant>

There is not that much supply on the market, but there is a tiny bit of distress. Small buyer market here, but very hard to borrow. I had to jump through way too many hoops to extract cash out of two houses recently with my lenders (Woolwich and Santander). This essentially means that no residential owner is over-extended at the moment, which in turns mean that they are not forced to sell. If there won't be any forced sell, prices won't collapse. No one builds enough in this country, and there is massive amount of pant up demand to sustain prices in residential.

You seem to be in a corner of England that doesn't attract Qataris and other new rich distorting the market ie: you are not buying a GBP 5m penthouse in London. This market has a mind of its own but you don't have to worry about it.

Where you are investing is fine. As someone pointed it out, Brexit is used as the bogeyman to blame every problems the UK is having. We have been on top of a 10 year money printing bonanza that has helped asset rich people. We are due for a correction in financial stocks etc... This is just how market cycles work. Luckily for you residential debt in remote corners of England have not been pumped up like they did in 2007.

BUY BUY BUY and don't look back. Don't fix for 5 years, the banksters are charging you a nice premium for that (I would know, I used to be one). It's insurance money you don't need to pay. However, if it allows you to sleep soundly at night go for it, just like you would pay for home content insurance.

Good luck.
  • Must say I don’t understand this sheer paranoia surrounding brexit. The world will keep turning, people will keep working and houses will keep selling. It’s mad to run your life around a somewhat abstract fear with brexit. If you want to buy, then buy. We’ve just bought and didn’t give brexit a second thought, it was the right time and the right house, so that was it :j
  • I'm also in my 20's and in the process of buying a house. I also had the same concerns as you throughout the process. I decided to just buy ensuring that my purchase would be suitable for at least 5 years if prices did go down a bit.

You can't guess what's going to happen especially with the current theatrics surrounding BREXIT and when you realise that post crash you could be given less money due to stricter lending controls or even refused you just realise you should just take the jump. Like people have said, there are lots of people on this platform that waited for a crash, missed the train and have never brought. I think it's best to do what fits your current situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure