ESA very confused, please help.

After applying for ESA in April, i have been through the process, had the medical and attended my interview with the Job Centre. I heard earlier in the week that I had been put in the support group.

Then oddly today I received a letter for a work focuses interview. I was under the impression that you didn't have to attend these when in the support group.

I called the job centre and was advised those in the work related group have to attend every week, and those in the support group attend every 6 months. Is this correct and do I have to attend these meetings, I really don't want to and see no point in doing so.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 July 2018 at 3:25PM
    You need to find out for certain that you!!!8217;re in the support group, if you are then you don!!!8217;t attend any appointments. It maybe that you!!!8217;re in the WRAG not Support Group. Ring ESA to ask.
  • Hi poppy,

Definitely in the support group. This is why I'm confused.
  • UPDATE.

Phoned up ESA, definitely in support group, spoke to Job Ctr, they advised everyone on benefits has to be seen at least every six months. I won't be forced to to any work related activities, but I have to attend, what purpose this will serve other than to waste my time and theirs I dont know.
  • They always could make people in support group go to appointments but as you said they can't make you do any work related activity,it probably just depends on people's individual circumstances wether they need to go or not.But for those that can it must be a new rule that it's every 6 months.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They always could make people in support group go to appointments but as you said they can't make you do any work related activity,it probably just depends on people's individual circumstances wether they need to go or not.But for those that can it must be a new rule that it's every 6 months.

This is incorrect.

The DWP can ask those in the SG to attend but they can't mandate them to attend.
    For those in the SG it is voluntary.
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/showthread.php?9415-I-m-In-ESA-Support-Group-but-have-received-a-letter-to-go-to-a-work-focused-interview
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • But that's for a work focused interview,I'm not talking about a work focused interview.
  • Hounded_out
    Hounded_out Posts: 79 Forumite
    Nooney. As part of a MIND group I attend I routinely interact with 15-20 people who are in the ESA Support Group, some who started on ESA in recent times. Not one of these people have ever been 'asked' to attend the Job Centre for any interview, never mind a 'work focused' version thereof.

All sounds a bit sinister. It may all be perfectly innocent. The only connection to your local Jobcentre seems to be the reference in your post and I quote ..... ' had the medical and attended my interview with the Job Centre'. What 'interview' did you attend after your (presumably ESA) medical ?.

Anyhow, the DWP do from time to time make mistakes. For example they (well to be exact Madam Mayhem) appointed the (dis)honourable Esther McVey as their Secretary of State lol
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    But that's for a work focused interview,I'm not talking about a work focused interview.

Why else would an ESA claimant be asked to attend at the Job Centre for a meeting with their work coach?

What interviews are you talking about (if not WRA)?

"They always could make people in support group go to appointments"
    Please cite the relevant legislation to support this assertion.

Until you can do this, I stand by the interpretation of the ESA regulations in Chapter 46 of the CPAG Handbook where it states:
    - You cannot be required to undertake WRA if you are:
    - in the ESA ‘support group’;
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • I have been in ESA support group for 5 years now and have never been contacted by the JC+ for any work related interviews.
    As Alice says it doesn't happen.
    45002 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Alice_Holt wrote:
    This is incorrect.

The DWP can ask those in the SG to attend but they can't mandate them to attend.
    For those in the SG it is voluntary.
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/showthread.php?9415-I-m-In-ESA-Support-Group-but-have-received-a-letter-to-go-to-a-work-focused-interview

That thread is over 4 years old.

Wouldn't surprise me if this government have or do change the regulations and don't tell anyone until you get a letter !
    Advice given on Assured and Regulated Tenancy, Further advice should always be sought from a Solicitor....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure