Can credit card companies see my credit limit?

Hello, when credit card companies perform a credit search on me, can they see how much credit I already have or just the amount of cards I have?

Also are companies likely to accept you if you already have a pretty high limit when you apply? For example if my credit limit is £10,000, they may feel comfortable offering me a card with a limit of £3000 but if my credit limit is only £3000 they may only be comfortable offering me card with £1000 or whatever.

Thanks.

Comments

• Yes, existing limits are taken into account.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Hello, when credit card companies perform a credit search on me, can they see how much credit I already have or just the amount of cards I have? ...

Yes. Sign up to the MSE credit club for free, and you can access your Experian credit record and see what they see.
    Also are companies likely to accept you if you already have a pretty high limit when you apply? For example if my credit limit is £10,000, they may feel comfortable offering me a card with a limit of £3000 but if my credit limit is only £3000 they may only be comfortable offering me card with £1000 or whatever.

Depends on the lender. Depends on how much of your limit is used. Depends on lots of things.
  • Yes. The total amount of credit, along with your current credit card balances are also avalible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure