MSE News: First Direct takes the lead as banks now have to say if their own customers...

Options
Former_MSE_Megan_F
Former_MSE_Megan_F Posts: 418 Forumite
Newshound!
edited 15 August 2018 at 3:53PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Banks will now have to publish how likely their own customers are to recommend them for customer service as part of new measures designed to make it simpler for consumers to compare and switch...
Read the full story:
'First Direct takes the lead as banks now have to say if their own customers would recommend them'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A key measure of service will be whether customers would recommend their bank to family and friends.

Pointless exercise, since I always, always give the lowest score possible to this question whenever it crops up - and a not insubstantial number of others do too.

Exemplified by the following:

how-likely-are-you-to-recommend-windows-10-to-a-19963888.png

And, more comedically:

question-from-indeed-how-likely-are-you-to-recommend-indeed-2436078.png
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    How did FD's banking app and online banking get such a high score?

It's a horrible, horrible mess
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm interested in how (for example) HSBC got 55% for "overall service" but scored above 60% in all categories.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • steve_blake1490667
    Options
    !!! wrote: »

Actually i find the FD iOS app on my iPhone X brilliant. It allows me to login using face ID, I can setup new payees in second and works well without any issues. Seems to be very slick on my Iphone X

Their online (website) banking is a bit basic, but it does everything so can't really complain.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    !!! wrote: »

No, it's not. Is it as slick as some other banks? No. It's perfectly serviceable though. It uses finger print ID, I can see my transactions, I can move money about - what more do you need?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ....and the last few posts neatly encapsulate what a complete waste of time it is trying to measure anything by woolly and vague qualitative (and inherently subjective) opinions! As the article says, much more meaningful quantitative measures of banks' service will be along in the near future.
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Actually it's not a high number of people who do what you do

I didn't say that they did. "Not insubstantial" != "high".
    And, there are ways of tweaking that question to deal with people like you - to get you to answer it :-)

Typically these questions require an answer before submission, thus it doesn't need tweaking.

Oh - you mean tweak "in order to get the answers you're after"? I have no doubt.
    If asked for a recommendation for a credit card that charges usurious amounts of interest on balances how likely would you suggest BarcWest ?

That would almost certainly get a ..... same response from me. For different reasons though.

But you can't tell the difference between "0 because the subject thought it a stupid question" or "0 because the subject seriously wouldn't recommend the company if they were the last company on earth."

And if it could be determined (say, from responses to previous questions,) then this question is simply rendered redundant.
    PS. Oh, and there are companies out there measuring their customer service employees using this question.

Then they are bad companies. And as such I'd probably be even less likely to recommend them.

Specifically, unlike anecdotally recommending companies, I'm far more likely to tell people to steer clear.

Actually that would be one way of tweaking it - at least to get a more accurate answer out of me:
    How likely are you to complain about $COMPANY on social media?
    o 0 (unlikely)   o 1   o 2   o 3   o 4   o 5   o 6   o 7   o 8   o 9 (highly likely)

Don't see that gaining much friction against those that deal with boardroom members, however.
    You know, when you call and at the end of the call they send you this question via text or email. I'm not saying it's a good way of rewarding/punishing employees like this, I'm just saying that some companies do.

So when you give that 0 rating to someone who did a great customer service job, you might be hurting their bonus or their evaluation. Luckily - as I said - not many like you :-)

If that's the only question they're sending, then they're even more of a bad company. If (as has been my experience) they specifically ask questions about the employee I dealt with and how they specifically dealt with me, then they will likely generate much more positive scores for those questions. (Well, presuming they actually deserve them of course - they're nevertheless more accurate against what they're trying to measure.)
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Big banks not being competitive enough because only 3% of customers switched last year??? Get a grip!

It is up to businesses how competitive they want to be. And relentlessly pushing for ever higher levels of switching serves no purpose but to feed an unproductive cottage industry that does not serve a beneficial purpose to the economy.
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2018 at 12:52PM
    Options
    I've been with FD for about 20 years now, not too happy that recently they decided to remove my overdraft facility without warning and got a letter to advise 5 days later.

Note to FD, if you are going to remove an overdraft at least give your customers a bit of notice!

(I have written to complain)

Regards their online service, it is pretty basic as parts of their IT infrastructure are pretty archaic, their call centre based system is built on a customised telesales system from the 1980s!
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    Options
    I've been with FD for about 20 years now, not too happy that recently they decided to remove my overdraft facility without warning and got a letter to advise 5 days later.

Note to FD, if you are going to remove an overdraft at least give your customers a bit of notice!

All banks reserve the right to do this and have done it to some of their customers at some point. This isn't peculiar to FD.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family