Open LISA and HTB ISA in same tax year.

Asking for a friend. Not sure if you're allowed to open both in the same tax year.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,920 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yes you can, the rule is that it's only permissible to pay new money into one ISA of each type in any given tax year, where the four different types are cash (including HTB), S&S, LISA and IFISA, so as HTB and LISA are different types then both can be funded concurrently.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Yes you can, the rule is that it's only permissible to pay new money into one ISA of each type in any given tax year, where the four different types are cash (including HTB), S&S, LISA and IFISA, so as HTB and LISA are different types then both can be funded concurrently.

So if he wanted to a transfer-in from a Nationwide ISA to Skipton LISA, as well as open a HTB ISA and fund it from his current account/transfer in from his Nationwide ISA say today, he can?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,920 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    aj23 wrote: »
    So if he wanted to a transfer-in from a Nationwide ISA to Skipton LISA, as well as open a HTB ISA and fund it from his current account/transfer in from his Nationwide ISA say today, he can?
    It's not generally possible to split current year contributions within any ISA type, so if he's been paying new money into his Nationwide ISA this tax year then he can't transfer part of that elsewhere, but as their ISAs are flexible this does open up more possibilities, as per this recent thread: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5814865
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    eskbanker wrote: »
    It's not generally possible to split current year contributions within any ISA type, so if he's been paying new money into his Nationwide ISA this tax year then he can't transfer part of that elsewhere, but as their ISAs are flexible this does open up more possibilities, as per this recent thread: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5814865

Okay thanks.
  • Yes you can have a H2B and LISA concurrently, you can only claim the bonus on one or the other when buying a house though.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure